Cmca 2012/13

Some interesting results with the Royals and the Weststars causing the upset of the season.
JIMMY 3
Quasimodo 2
Peter Parker 2
IF I CAN I WILL 2
BILLY THE KID 2
Captain Who 2
North Clubs don't pay 2
Post Mortem 2
Past hack 2
CLOCKER 2
Dr Squeak 1
Bit rich 1
GOLF 1
No Fox 1
Ordinary Bloke 1
UNCLE MICK 1

Royals game being disputed according to mycricket. I left after 6 o'clock and while the result was a foregone conclusion it was getting dark with still 5 overs to go. Not sure if time comes in to play and to be honest can't be bothered looking it up.
Disappointing result at Sillitoe. Umpire was very keen to call it a day, as was Belly with an undermanned Hampton United side. New skipper needs a bit more "C" in him.

Royals game being disputed according to mycricket. I left after 6 o'clock and while the result was a foregone conclusion it was getting dark with still 5 overs to go. Not sure if time comes in to play and to be honest can't be bothered looking it up.
Disappointing result at Sillitoe. Umpire was very keen to call it a day, as was Belly with an undermanned Hampton United side. New skipper needs a bit more "C" in him.

'Mackie were always behind the eight-ball in the chase as Anthony Reid (4/17) headed an impressive bowling display but Craig Park (31*) dug in and with 3.3 overs remaining the light came to the Machines rescue and the game was abandoned.'

How does this game get abandoned and the Juggernaut are forced to play on? Surely the Heighters would have put on some spinners or the umpires would have just told them too finish it. Let's face it Mackie was beaten and now they have walked away with three valubale points. Absolute joke.

Bit late with the preview (in order of last year's ladder placings), but here goes anyway....

Bentleigh Uniting – like the mighty fighting Hawks they were top of the tree leading in all stats that matter, but their stars underperformed on the big stage. Keen to shrug off the chokers tag by delving deeper into the pockets, they’ll once again be the benchmark.
Carnegie South – deer in the headlights moment on the penultimate weekend. They’ll be ruing what could’ve been and will be better for the run. Coach Haley’s tactical nous will ensure they are thereabouts with every intention of squaring off in the big dance.
ESBC – like a shag on the back end of a big night, they bumbled their way through to the main game. And like a good old fashioned drunken root, the climax didn’t disappoint. They'll be up there again. New recruit will be a handful with the cherry.
Kingston Heath – has a bit of a Grease 2 feel about 2012/13. After a sloppy start delivered in spades last season, but the cast isn’t coming back for the sequel. Big sliders.
Bentleigh ANA – wasn’t so long ago they labelled themselves as the Collingwood of the CMCA. Not sure if that earns any respect, but a big showing Rd.1 could be the platform for a season where March beckons. Showed their wares when they were the first side to beat Uniting in 2 seasons earlier this year. Need more of that if they want the respect they crave.
Le Page – due for a breakout year to establish themselves as a genuine contender in Longmuir, but Squeak is too big a loss to cover. Opportunities will present as a result and I think the experience will do the world of good for the ‘Bieber Brigade’ in season 2013/14.
Mackie – a few BPL drop outs and Buddha’s new outlook on life will be the blessing the Machine needed to reinvigorate the club. Kids coming on and the usual suspects doing as they do, could be the smoky in 12/13.
West Bentleigh – a lot of their bowling rests on the shoulders of the Pres and the batting on Fids who again showed some promise averaging 30 with the bat last season. If he can elevate his game and Chop continues to do what he does best, the support cast is good enough to see them also as a smoky for March action. But I digress and think the Cowboys might battle this year.
Chelsea Heights – the bolter. Ace in the pack. Really like the way they go about it. Reckon they’ll be thereabouts at the business end.
Brighton Union – sadly the club seems to be in free fall. Whilst a change at the top is what was needed, one thinks it’ll be short term pain for long term gain. Expect them to pluck a couple of surprise wins to keep their heads above water.
Elwood – punting without Bunting and I don’t like their chances. Tee and De Haan will have a big load to carry on their shoulders. Expecting much of the same as last season for them.
Washington Park – not sure how well they’ve recruited, but will battle with last year’s crop in the top flight. Any side that only just gets over a one man band to earn promotion will obviously struggle in the top flight where there’s quality and depth. Expecting Heywood to relish the challenge and have a big year.

Gee Uncle if ana was called the collingwood of the competition they would have to see some finals action first. I wouldnt like putting my money on them but they have as you said got some big scalps the last few games they have played. I heard there coach goes okay maybe thats it. Only time will tell good luck to your boys next week mate as always they will need it

Hello all and welcome to another season! After being Elwood's secretary for a fair stint I handed over the reins and am currently traveling in Europe. Anyway, I checked this thread out to see the pre and post round one analysis.

As I am far removed from things at the moment all I can say re. Marshall is that he is a good mate of mine, a terrific bloke and I don't even know what happened but I wish him all the best and he is always welcome at Elwood where he was on his way -- if not already there - of being an all time great at our club.

As for round one, I believe we got 4 out of 5 wins to start the year which is a fantastic start but there's a lot of work to do. Our new coach, Bobby Chawla, whom I haven't even met has reportedly made a positive impact already which is great.

Jimmy, sorry for not giving you any scoops for your always brilliant season preview but I was on the other side of the world.

Anyway, best of luck all for the season ahead. Hope everyone has a great year.

Cheers, from sunny Krakow.

Round 2 Longmuir

Brighton Union v Chelsea Heights:
Heights to win easily.

Bentleigh Uniting v Bentleigh ANA :
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Uniting to inflict payback. No Biggs/ No Royals?

Kingston Heath v Washington Park:
Wash Ups to get their first win.

Mackie v Le Page Park:
Budha’s favourite attack. He will make a score and the machine will win.

East Sand. v Carnegie South:
Game of the round and the Juggernaut staring at 0-2 start. It won’t happen. Juggernaut to bounce back.

Elwood v West Bentleigh:
The Beach boys hard to beat at the their fortress. Good effort by the Cowboys last week, but the Beach boys in a close one.

Round 2 Woolnough

Washington Park v Highett West:
Wash Ups continue on their merry way with another win.

West Bentleigh v Omega:
Hopefully a few of the Omega lads have had a reality check. They look a good team on paper, but that does not win you matches.

Aspendale Gardens v Cluden :
Close one with the Gardeners to get up in a close one.

Hampton United v East Sand.:
The Juggernaut mark 2 to get up easily.

Bentleigh ANA v Bentleigh Uniting:
Uniting to bounce back after a disappointing first round loss. Once again they struggled against a strong opponent. They need to lift and will account for the Royals easily.

Moorabbin West v Hampton Central:
Match of the round. Former Weststar Trevor O’leary & son return to Widdop looking for their second win. Tipping the Westars in what will be an entertaining game.

Tips for the weekend.
Longy:
Chelsea Heights. Great first up effort. Will post their first win.
Uniting.
Kingston Heath. The Heath started their strong run last year after being dismantled by Carnegie Sth. Maybe lightning strikes twice? Query on how they play the short form of the game.
Mackie in a close one.
East Sandy. I think Carnegie South won this encounter last year, but find it hard to see the Premiers 0/2. Jayme Saleem a very good pick up. I've played a lot of cricket with and against Jayme. A good bowler with some pace. Handy lower order bat, and awesome dj. In fact i've got a couple of his mixes on my ipod.
Elwood. If the weather holds the spin twins will come to the fore.

Wooly:
Washington Park.
Omega. Need to get our season started.
Aspendale Gardens.
East Sandy.
Uniting.
Hampton Central. A very good bowling attack that's hard to score off quickly.

Longmuir Shield
Chelsea Heights
Bentleigh Uniting
Washington Park
Mackie
East Sandy
Elwood

Woolnough Shield
Washington Park
Omega
Aspendale Gardens
East Sandy
Bentleigh Uniting
Hampton Central

Longy tips.
Chelsea heights, looking strong.
Uniting, Ana got them last year but payback will be on the table.
Washington park, Kingston need some depth.
Lepage park, beibers to win this one in a close one.
Spiders, always enjoy playing marto and the boys. Hopefully we will do better than the preliminary.
West bentleigh, chopper to take wickets. Is Casey back?

Good luck to all this round. Hopefully the rain holds off and we can get 6 results.
Let's not see a repeat of Chelsea vs Mackie.

Good round of games, should be some beauties in top 2 grades
Longy
Heighters - looked good first up
Millionaires
Sharks - Golfers don't love the short form with exception of Shiro
Biebers - coin flip
Juggies - like Hawthorn in the 80's never tip against them on rebound - only rationale
Beach Boys - starting to think West are going to be improvers though

Wooly
Sharks
Omega
Gardeners
Juggies
Millionaires
Two Blues - will be a cracker​

My tips for round 2 and hopefully a warmer and drier day than last week :

Brighton Union v Chelsea Heights - Brighton Union could be in a for a long year
Bentleigh Uniting v Bentleigh ANA - ANA caused an upset last year, but not this year
Kingston Heath v Washington Park - Washington in a close game
Mackie v Le Page Park - Mackie won't be save by bad light this week
East Sandy v Carnegie South - in a tight contest
Elwood v West Bentleigh - their spinners might get them over the line

Good luck to all players.

Brighton Union v Chelsea Heights - Lockhart runs & Shelton wickets.
Bentleigh Uniting v Bentleigh ANA - Russell to ton up and burst the ANA bubble.
Kingston Heath v Washington Park - Heath are in trouble early and don't have quality of last year to pull them out of it.
Mackie v Le Page Park - Buddha in the runs.
East Sandy v Carnegie South - big week for Marto.
Elwood v West Bentleigh - Fids to follow on from last week.

Washington Park v Highett West - Byrne-Murray returns.
West Bentleigh v Omega - will be super keen to atone for last week.
Aspendale Gardens v Cluden - John to clean them up.
Hampton United v East Sandy - Bell with 4 for and 50+ won't be enough.Bentleigh ANA v Bentleigh Uniting - ANA lacking the depth Uniting have.
Moorabbin West v Hampton Central - made a statement last week. Big momentum gain winning their first 2 against arguably the best 2 sides in it.

Round 1 Preview

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder and the week preceding the opening of a Cricket season is one full of great anticipation as evidenced by the positive moods at two club season launches that I attended last night.

Sure to be some upsets and most matches are likely to be affected by the weather, so I suspect I will get at least three of these wrong but what the hey…

West over Union just (If Dwayne Russell were commentating this match he would state that both clubs are “playing for their season” and although that is nonsensical I predict both these clubs will struggle and the loser may be up against it all year. Chopper Reid to prove the difference).

Uniting over Wash Ups easily (Although I predict Manders will make a duck on debut!)
Carn Sth over Golfers just (Flip of the coin this one, but expect old stalwarts like Scotty Handley and Noombie to fire when required).
Mackie over Chelsea just (the type of game that the Heighters must win if they are to be contenders, but the Machine are too polished to let this slip).
ESBC over ANA just (This is the sort of game that East Sandy often drop – a one dayer early on – but how can one ever tip against them. Luke Dallas to begin the season in fine form).
Le Page over Elwood just (Another match that I have no firm opinion on, but I predict Le Page will be relatively strong this season and should be too good).

Round 1 Review

2/6 (well 2/4 when one factors in the games with no result) as the Royals and Beachboys proved my tipping nemesis. No time for meta-analysis this week and it is far too early to analyse the ladder or trends. Chelsea were as stiff as a honeymooners ‘old fella’, and may well be stronger than I had predicted. West Bentleigh was good, but I feel Union may be an easybeat, so we shall wait and see before we make any bold predictions about the Cowboys.

Round 2 Preview

Heighters over Union easily (Panther Reid taking wickets and new recruit makes a score. Things looking good at Chelsea).
Uniting over ANA just (If ANA can pinch this they may well play finals, but Uniting cannot afford to drop 9 pints off the pace. I selected Manders for a duck last week, so I will go for a 50 and 3 for this time out).
Wash Ups over Golfers just (Did not like the look of the Heath’s batting depth and that old fashioned conservative style will not see them win too many games).
Le Page over Mackie just (Le Page were not that bad last weekend and Peter Mentiplay and Gurr should do enough).
ESBC over Carn Sth just (I give the Spiders a real chance but always get burned if I tip against the Juggies).
West over Elwood just (I was impressed by the Cowboys last weekend and Chris Fidler looks set for a big season. Will be close though).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Longy
Chelsea
Uniting
Wash ups - 1st win will ease the pressure
Le Page - must stop budda
Tie..... Nah East Sandy but very close
Elwood - spinners will clean up

Back