Confused.

• Thread starter imported_MarkMiller93
  • Start date
I

imported_MarkMiller93

Confused.

I've played 2 years of cricket, and been a pace bowler.
in the 2 years ive taken 23 wickets and have a fairly low economy rate.
but over the past year at the nets ive practised leg spin.
and realised i can bowl leg-breaks fairly well lately.
there all very flighted but have rarely been tonked and have taken a fair few wickets at training.
im confused what i should bowl in matches.
is bowling spin for 3 balls and bowling pace for 3 balls each over an option?
if i can control my swing i will choose pace.
but atm i dont have a clue.
any help?

Re: Confused.

is bowling spin for 3 balls and bowling pace for 3 balls each over an option?

Nah mate, it's either one or the other. IMO, you can't bowl both in each over.

If you bowl spin, we'll make a lethal spinning pair, if you bowl pace, we'll still make a good pair. :D

Sean said:
Nah mate, it's either one or the other. IMO, you can't bowl both in each over.

If you bowl spin, we'll make a lethal spinning pair, if you bowl pace, we'll still make a good pair. :D

You can bowl whateva, I spin offies and bowl medium pace in the same over sometimes.

MarkMiller93 said:
what about 1 over of spin.
1 over of pace?

No. Pressure can only be built in spells with one style. Best thing to do would be to change between spells like Gary Sobers used to do. Depending on the pitch and match situation, you may want to ask your captain what is best to bowl.

How old are you?

14 and 6 months.
ive only been into cricket for about 2 and 6 months.
and yeah spells could be a good idea.

MarkMiller93 said:
14 and 6 months.
ive only been into cricket for about 2 and 6 months.
and yeah spells could be a good idea.

Oh, you are quite young. I advise you make a choice about which to do because you'll need hard work in one art to be a success.

I advise to stick with pace because it has worked for you well in the past and in my opinion, bowling pace is more fun than bowling spin.

manee said:
Oh, you are quite young. I advise you make a choice about which to do because you'll need hard work in one art to be a success.

I advise to stick with pace because it has worked for you well in the past and in my opinion, bowling pace is more fun than bowling spin.

Im going to cry, but yeah, pace is a lot funner than spin, im a Chinamen or SLA and at times i can be toiling for 10 overs without reward, then a quick comes in, and gets a wicket in his first over, the swines!! To be honest, if im on a good day, ill not take any wickets, i beat the bat too much and never get a nick, but if im all over the place i pick up wickets.

Ill use Almost_Austwicks favourite saying here, Its sods law!

thats weird coz lately bowling spin ive found it funner then pace.
but getting a wicket with pace is a lot more thrilling then getting someone out with spin.
i love just steaming in and then knockin out there middle, exciting!
can't wait for cricket to start again.

Going back to your original post and yes, you could alternate between bowling styles within the same over but I would suggest mentioning it to the umpire so that he can inform the batsman.

If you not sure what to then I'd suggest working on it in practice rather than in a game. For the time being stick with what your best at and use only that in a game situation.

For any bowler it takes a lot of practice before you are ready to unveil a new action in a game, so take your time and get it right in training first, there is no rush.

If you have any coaches that you respect greatly, you could ask there opinion as to which they think you have more potential in,

Bowl spin look at the most successful bowlers in the world, think of the decrease in injury potential - you know it makes sense! Come and join us in the Leg Spin thread - you know you wanna!

It seems the general consensus on here is that pace is more enjoyable than spin - though I happen to disagree. When I bowl I'm also trying to think of ways of getting the batsmen out - always trying to analyse a batsmen's technique and trying to identify his weaknesses an strengths for that matter.

What comes with bowling spin is the fact that when a lot of batsmen see a spinner, their thought train seems to go to trying to whack balls out of the park. Inevitably, they will hit some. It's those that relish the challenge after this that are truly in the knowledge of what being a spinner is about...

I always think it comes down to what you enjoy the most. Spin bowling is more mental but pace bowling is good fun.

Go with what you have most fun with!

OK Mark, not sure if you will like my two penny's worth but heregos :D

Although cricket is a sport made up of individual players, with individual skills and talents, it is, after all, a team sport.

Look at the dynamics of the team on the day; how many spinners are there? etc.

Look at the condition of the wicket; is it a bunsen? etc.

Look at the weather forecast; is it going to rain? etc

More importantly, speak to your Captain. You need to know what his game plan is and if he knows the opposition well, he will know which of their batsmen are [spin]phobic and which have no problem dispensing their offerings with aplomb. If you are playing U15s, you may also need to consult with your manager.

If you are able to bowl both well and with success, you will always be assured of a place in the team.

Mark, just think with leg spin the massive variety of variations that are still there to be discovered.....
The Flipper
The wrong Un (Googly)
Top Spinner
The Slider
All delivered in different ways - loopy, fast, short, long etc, there's a mass of different approaches and that's without considering factors such as the psychology - if you get good at any of these or a few of these your status within the team grows and your reputation locally becomes known and it just adds to the fun. You know your future and your future is as a Leg Spinner. Come On - you know it makes sense!

someblokecalleddave said:
Mark, just think with leg spin the massive variety of variations that are still there to be discovered.....
The Flipper
The wrong Un (Googly)
Top Spinner
The Slider
All delivered in different ways - loopy, fast, short, long etc, there's a mass of different approaches and that's without considering factors such as the psychology - if you get good at any of these or a few of these your status within the team grows and your reputation locally becomes known and it just adds to the fun. You know your future and your future is as a Leg Spinner. Come On - you know it makes sense!

I'll always be in the team as a leggy before him. ;)

Back