Contrast swing

chicmagnet

Contrast swing

I read this rather long but fascinating article on Cricinfo, which explains the science behind swing bowling. It introduces a new concept called contrast swing. I've never heard of this before. Is there any truth behind this theory? Has anyone seen something like it or experienced it?

Re: Contrast swing

that article's a good read. Bit confused on the contrast swing but figured out the first diagram is bowlers bowling under 70mph (that's when i read the titles of each pic :embarrassed:). Thats the type of swing i get, bowl under 70 and hold the seam straight down the pitch - for me it works better and seems easier to bowl than turning my wrist or the seam position for conventional swing.

think we need some of the fast bowlers / medium pacers input on this one!

come on chaps!

I bowl contrast swing then. I always hold the ball with the seam straight up and swing it a mile. I've never held the ball towards slip to get my swing, which is why I was always dumbfounded by all these grips and what not

i have to admit we dont angle the ball! works fine like the contrast swing, which i thought was conventional!

Very good article. It makes a lot of sense, any time I've ever got a ball to swing it's never been because of seam position. The only problem with contrast swing, as I understand it now, is that you won't be able to do it with a new ball, right? Since it requires that there be a rough side.

Thats a very good article. It explains the whole reason behind swing. I never knew so much science was involved :laugh:

Well I had heard about contrast swing a few years when this article was published. Some people said it was rubbish theory and I never heard of it again.

mgr989 said:
i can get contrast swing with a new ball :laugh: does that blow the theory out of the window?

No, because a) I hate you and b) your 'contrast' swing gave me a massive bruise on the thigh. Cheers.

Ahahaha, but seriously, I get away swing too with new ball swinging it the contrast way..

i guess its what ever works for each bowler, everyone is different in their action, run up and ball grip!

yeah, I've definitely got an action which swings the ball away anyway - so that's a factor. I'm currently in the motions of making my jump into bowling a little bit higher to create more pace, lets see how the swing goes if I get that going

madbunny said:
I bowl with the new ball, seam up, and it swings. Must be my action.

same here.... if i open the bowling... with straight seam the ball swings 2 much 4 me 2 control... from 1/2 a foot outside off.. right down leg.. :(

so thats y i bowl 1st drop... i angle the seam sometimes, but even straight seam moves 4 me..

Because you your wrist position, maybe.

Yeh I can bowl innies with straight seam, not well though.

"No, because a) I hate you and b) your 'contrast' swing gave me a massive bruise on the thigh. Cheers.

Ahahaha, but seriously, I get away swing too with new ball swinging it the contrast way"

hahaha well be afraid cos i aim to hit you many more times on the thigh sir.

Prepare yourself Joe.

Sorry man. Get paid tomorrow - thigh pad coming my way. THe massive green bruise was enough to persuade me.. hehe.

Good weather this weekend I hope. Then you can hit THEM on the thigh..

AUSSIE_BOY said:
same here.... if i open the bowling... with straight seam the ball swings 2 much 4 me 2 control... from 1/2 a foot outside off.. right down leg.. :(

so thats y i bowl 1st drop... i angle the seam sometimes, but even straight seam moves 4 me..

Interesting, are you a left arm bowler?

JoeLillis said:
Sorry man. Get paid tomorrow - thigh pad coming my way. THe massive green bruise was enough to persuade me.. hehe.

thats what youve got a bat for! ::)

I just love making people buy thigh pads because you hit them, ahh I did it to a guy in u12s (don't worry he's better than most of the u14c team) and he had the biggest bruise, next week he came back with a thigh pad.

Back