Cricket Albury/wodonga

So CAW's most overrated player now has his own newspaper coloumn. Surely his ego's big enough already.

And starting out by dishing out relationship advice to his fellow players. Ha!

Without doubt the worst newspaper column I've ever read. What were the Border Mail thinking?

Lets get some decent discussion going. I was having a good look through the booklet that the border mail put out the other week (which I though is a great idea to lift the profile of the league!!!)

Interesting to see that North Albury listed as having no losses although I have been talking quite a few blokes within north and these are the names that as far as I can work out are not playing-Simmons, Barton, Castello, Fulford, Hansford and Mallichan for half the season?That is litterally half the side. Apart from Farrel and Daniels, they look like they may find it hard for the first time in a long while, they have a few second stringers that may get a better go like ash borella, zach stuart and marmo, but they wont be a force this year (in my opinion).

East albury may be in the same boat, some names I have heard are neyland, kilpatrick, curphy? hockin? lewis? im not 100% sure on these names but I have heard they have picked up dylan weeding from albury. Not a bad pick up but wont cover the losses of those other blokes. Interesting that he left a battleing side in albury to go to another battling side in east. In sayingthat, i rekon that albury could be a bit of a roughie to make finals now provincial a grade are playing 50 over games. they have a few big hitters and wilth th e addition of tassel, they have two really good quick fast bowlers in him and brad smith. smith really impressed me last season when i saw him bowl, and he was only playing 2s at east, what were you thinking east????

Could go on all day about the league but here is my prediction for the ladder at the end of the year.

St Pats - definately up there and have picked up a new bat and a new bowler
Lavington - will be up there, but will they choke again at the pointy end???
Tallangatta -Heard nathan thomson, steve wood, coughlan and new pom are playing. Have potentially the best line up in league. new pom, fitzy, lade, moran, armstrong, wood, thomson, coughlan, etc pretty handy! roughie for premiers

(fighting out for the last final spot)
Wodonga - lost a few/picked a couple up - unknown
Albury - my big roughie, could knock anyone off in one dayers - lost a few bats in off seaspn/will struggle to score in 2 dayers
North - still a couple of quality bats - don't know any names of bowlers - may struggle to take wickets
East - depending on how may they actually lose, probably will be a lot higher and may play finals
Belvoir - my tip for relegation, havent really picked anyone up (cooky-but he is just as likely to play thirds) maybe Nat should have jumped ship when he had his chance? lost rohan pearce. both bowling and batting stocks looking scarce.

Any thoughts? feel free to tear this to shreads, i have tough skin, will be good to get some discussion up and about.

Lets get some decent discussion going. I was having a good look through the booklet that the border mail put out the other week (which I though is a great idea to lift the profile of the league!!!)

Interesting to see that North Albury listed as having no losses although I have been talking quite a few blokes within north and these are the names that as far as I can work out are not playing-Simmons, Barton, Castello, Fulford, Hansford and Mallichan for half the season?That is litterally half the side. Apart from Farrel and Daniels, they look like they may find it hard for the first time in a long while, they have a few second stringers that may get a better go like ash borella, zach stuart and marmo, but they wont be a force this year (in my opinion).

East albury may be in the same boat, some names I have heard are neyland, kilpatrick, curphy? hockin? lewis? im not 100% sure on these names but I have heard they have picked up dylan weeding from albury. Not a bad pick up but wont cover the losses of those other blokes. Interesting that he left a battleing side in albury to go to another battling side in east. In sayingthat, i rekon that albury could be a bit of a roughie to make finals now provincial a grade are playing 50 over games. they have a few big hitters and wilth th e addition of tassel, they have two really good quick fast bowlers in him and brad smith. smith really impressed me last season when i saw him bowl, and he was only playing 2s at east, what were you thinking east????

Could go on all day about the league but here is my prediction for the ladder at the end of the year.

Tallangatta -Heard nathan thomson, steve wood, coughlan and new pom are playing. Have potentially the best line up in league. new pom, fitzy, lade, moran, armstrong, wood, thomson, coughlan, etc pretty handy! roughie for premiers

Albury - my big roughie, could knock anyone off in one dayers - lost a few bats in off seaspn/will struggle to score in 2 dayers
North - still a couple of quality bats - don't know any names of bowlers - may struggle to take wickets
East - depending on how may they actually lose, probably will be a lot higher and may play finals
Belvoir - my tip for relegation, havent really picked anyone up (cooky-but he is just as likely to play thirds) maybe Nat should have jumped ship when he had his chance? lost rohan pearce. both bowling and batting stocks looking scarce.

Any thoughts? feel free to tear this to shreads, i have tough skin, will be good to get some discussion up and about.

I think you're pretty close to the mark there McD. I dont think anyone can write off Wodonga after their performance last year though, especially with Jackson playing.
North Albury have always enjoyed using smoke and mirros in the off season, but its good to see a few new faces getting a bit more of a go. I know several promising players have been fairly disgruntled at not getting an opportunity in the past.

PDJ had a good point. Interesting to see TBall giving relationship advice in the Border last week. Good to see he's slimmed down and got his life off the field back on track, but I'm not sure that was the best place to start his column

As a coach of Junior teams, its absolute rubbish that CAW haven't got a draw out yet for any junior grade, and we start playing next weekend. is it any wonder why all clubs are losing juniors at such a fast rate? Soccer is now year round, and AFL is doing preseason and practise matches, and we are losing players because we have a completely inept group running cricket locally. We pay these guys to administer this league, but they couldn't organise a root in a brothel!!!

I understand that the thirds start this weekend, and they still don't know where they are playing? If the seniors and seconds draws have been out for weeks now, whats the hold up? At this stage the players this weekend will be organising their own matches, at random grounds around the border, and probably having more success than CAW. I hope we have something organised for our kids ASAP, otherwise we will me losing even more very soon.....

Agree pretty much 100% here Mick.
One of the biggest mistakes East Albury made was not giving Brad Smith a decent run in the ones, he was one of the standout bowlers in the comp last year in my opinion. Also heard the same rumour about North losing a lot of blokes through retirement and other means, noteably Barto and Dave Castello, Fully has also gone to Canberra and Mallichan is still in the UK. Will be a lot riding on Faz and Jack early on in the year.

A lot of people seem to be whispering about Albury's chances of playing finals this year, and personally I hope they do. It's good to see a club that was pretty much written off 3 years ago bust their balls and bounce back like they're trying to do.

St. Pats and Lavington will be the sides to beat this year I think. If Hawk and Naughto remain in tact, and Restall, Tonkin and Scammell score well they'll be in the box seat most weeks I think.

Tallangatta are the big wild card for me this year I think. It's a strong line up, but an inconsitant one. If Lade, Armstrong and Thompson score they will score big - but they can be skittled early on. Strong bowling attack with Woody, Cougho, Ladey, Armstrong and Vinny Moran though, and by all reports so far the new pom is looking as impressive as Coughlan.

My $10 on the end of season ladder would be placed on:
1. St Pats, 2. Lavington, 3. Wodonga, 4. Tallangatta, 5. North Albury, 6. Albury, 7. East Albury, 8. Belvoir.

Can't see Belvoir enjoying much success this year - I think they would benefit from having an attitude a bit more similar to Albury.
Final thought, lets piss this rain off and get the season underway! Also a third grade and junior draw would be a step in the right direction.

C Grade draw finally out, interesting to see that the Div 2 and Div 3 have been combined this year. Looks like is wasn't really CAW fault that the draw wasn't out earlier because some clubs may not have been able to commit teams to the thirds until they worked final playing lists this week.

Good luck to all sides this week and hopefully the dreaded rain stays away!

ive herd a rumour a while ago that marmo wanted to go back to lavi, but didnt think much of it. but saw him and sam (a former teammate from albury) looking very close while playing golf together last night. i no marmo has been to a million clubs and i dont think anyone would be surprised if he swapped over again. there is probly nothing in the rumour but i thort i since this forum is dead, this may help get people talking. what else is happening in the league. this page is dead!!!

ive herd a rumour a while ago that marmo wanted to go back to lavi, but didnt think much of it. but saw him and sam (a former teammate from albury) looking very close while playing golf together last night. i no marmo has been to a million clubs and i dont think anyone would be surprised if he swapped over again. there is probly nothing in the rumour but i thort i since this forum is dead, this may help get people talking. what else is happening in the league. this page is dead!!!
For what it is worth S&F, Marmo wasn't named in the Lavi team for this weekend.

Hearing some rumblings from the Panthers camp.

Unrest rearing its ugly head once again? Like clockwork it seems.

Looks like a good weekend of cricket coming up! Any weekend where a ball is bowled is now considered a good weekend of cricket though to be fair.

Well the main players are playing 50 over games. Just wondering how many games go the full overs? If there's fielding restrictions or power players ? If the games aren't going the full distance what's the point of playing them !!

Sounds like the Pantherdome is rockin and rolling again !! I wonder who has upset who this season around.

Raiders started of ok with The Gun Griffiths playing well. Which other recuirts played well I ask?

I agree with Albury pushing finals they seem to be on the right track. Heres a cracker what if East Albury come last !!!!!

Hearing some rumblings from the Panthers camp.

Unrest rearing its ugly head once again? Like clockwork it seems.

Looks like a good weekend of cricket coming up! Any weekend where a ball is bowled is now considered a good weekend of cricket though to be fair.
People from outside the club spreading rumours about rumblings in the Panthers camp, Like clockwork it seems.

Do you care to give more information Grey Nick or are you putting it out there hoping if you say it often enough that it will be true and that it will add some interest to this forum ?

I haven't heard any rumblings myself (although I will admit I didn't make it to either training session this week), I would think that everyone would be happy as all teams won last weekend.

People from outside the club spreading rumours about rumblings in the Panthers camp, Like clockwork it seems.

Do you care to give more information Grey Nick or are you putting it out there hoping if you say it often enough that it will be true and that it will add some interest to this forum ?

I haven't heard any rumblings myself (although I will admit I didn't make it to either training session this week), I would think that everyone would be happy as all teams won last weekend.

Just heard things through the grapevine, not need to get your knickers in a twist :) Seems it touched a raw nerve. Not like Lavington don't have a history of this sort of stuff.

Good luck to all playing today. Lovely to wake up to blue sky :)

Just heard things through the grapevine, not need to get your knickers in a twist :) Seems it touched a raw nerve. Not like Lavington don't have a history of this sort of stuff.

Good luck to all playing today. Lovely to wake up to blue sky :)
Not getting my knickers in a knot Grey Nick and it hasn't struck a raw nerve. Just though I would make a few cheeky comments just didn't think it was neccessary to put a smiley face. I thought the smiley face in my signature would be enough to tell people I'm not taking things too seriously.

I'm just doing a bit of stirring, as it seems as though every season someone says at some stage that there are rumblings at Lavington and some people have been complaining that this forum is getting boring :). As for history I don't think we have more rumblings than any other club, it's just that people think that rumblings at Lavington are much more news worthy than rumblings at any other club.

Well the main players are playing 50 over games. Just wondering how many games go the full overs? If there's fielding restrictions or power players ? If the games aren't going the full distance what's the point of playing them !!

Sounds like the Pantherdome is rockin and rolling again !! I wonder who has upset who this season around.

Raiders started of ok with The Gun Griffiths playing well. Which other recuirts played well I ask?

I agree with Albury pushing finals they seem to be on the right track. Heres a cracker what if East Albury come last !!!!!

Other raiders recruit being Merkel who I believe hasn't played a game yet (according to mycricket)....... Is there an issue there?

NA going to be a force this year after touching up the Patties at the weekend...... Tallangatta (still my tip) off to a slow start but the Lade machine may have just kicked into gear.

Let's hope Luke is fit to play this weekend against a Lavington team in turmoil (;)) .

Should be a good game between the two powerhouses.

Great win by the Hoppers on the weekend. Just shows you can't write off a team with that much finals pedigree.

Let's hope Luke is fit to play this weekend against a Lavington team in turmoil (;)) .

Should be a good game between the two powerhouses.

Great win by the Hoppers on the weekend. Just shows you can't write off a team with that much finals pedigree.
Be a good effort by Luke if he does make it out there next weekend. Didn't look too flash on Saturday night, some people including myself were surprised that he was able to battle on after being hit.

Well did notice a few things from the weekend of games.
There was plenty of runs in Tallangatta and A.Lade still making them.
North still don't have many bowlers. Marmo is now a gun bowler? Gee of what I saw on the news lucky they have some very good bats.
Kiewa upset Raiders .
Sounds like CAW might go somewhere in the T20 this year.

The Bushies look the goods this year fellas!

Panthers and Pats both comprehensively touched up on the weekend, who would've predicted that? Read in the paper last week that both have a few players out, when are they expected to return??

New City too good for District?

I see Wodonga have picked a handy batsman. I wonder if he can still make plenty of runs for them. ( Kramer Like )
Raiders have a big test this weekend against Mt Beauty. I've heard that The Gun is bowling smoke at the moment.
Belvoir seem to riding high after a win.

The Bushies look the goods this year fellas!

Panthers and Pats both comprehensively touched up on the weekend, who would've predicted that? Read in the paper last week that both have a few players out, when are they expected to return??

New City too good for District?
Noticed a few players returning for Panthers this week in KB (Michael Klein-Boonskate) and Steady (Tom Stead)

So Belvoir got spanked last week. Can they make the runs this week?
Raider's need to bowl the house down against Mt Beauty.
Looking at the junior's this year it seems that the numbers have dropped off a fair bit. It is hard club to pick up players and juniors at the same time.
So will there be any upset's this weekend?

Back