Cricket Albury/wodonga

Just like hundreds of other people, I went and had a sit over the weekend to watch the provincial grand final. What a winner for CAW. The game was a thriller, The Wodonga Bulldogs put on an absolute first class weekend, and the ground looked a picture. In all honesty, Wodonga went out of its way to make the day a specticle. They have made a mockery of the last few years' grand final at Xavier, nothing against St Pats but the whole of the Wodonga Cricket club got behind the occasion and their professionalism was amazing. From the bar, food, two scoreboards, raffles and the man on the microphone, it was a pleasure to attend. So a big well done to everyone at the Wodonga Cricket Club.
Getting to the game, it was a massively tense day on Sunday. I am not a part of either club and I was nervous!!! The big difference between the sides for mine was how close as a team Lavington were compared to St Pats. No doubt St Pats are a close bunch due to playing so long together, but every time you looked at the lavington side, they were always together as a unit. Every wicket they took, they were so tight in the huddle etc. The other difference was, i thought, the lavington batsmen handled the pitch better. I thought both bowling sides bowled exceptionally well, but the st pats batsmen seemed less settled. On the first day, the first wicket that fell the ball shot up off a length and nearly hit him in the face, and i though the pitch may cause havok. But the lavington boys ground out the full 80 overs, where as the patties batsmen seemed to keep coming out and trying to blast away, where i dont think it was that type of a pitch. But maybe that was the curse of chasing in a gf?
All in all, what a great specticle and there were three winners for the day, Lavington Panthers, CAW and the Wodonga Cricket Club, who couldn't do much more in trying to get the gf back there next year.

Last edited:
Lets try to keep the site going through the off season. Feel free to post any Rumours or facts of player movement or Coaching appointments and recruits

10 Teams in provincial, Raiders & NC (if they can cope) to move up. Albury gets lucky.

Why does Albury Get Lucky? Belvoir finished last, Albury beat Belvoir, East Albury and Wodonga. Should have Beaten North Albury, only fell short by 20 odd runs and definitely should have beaten Lavington after only needing 120. New City will get outrighted more than Trent Ball has eaten KFC.

I hear there could still be an appeal floating around re Albury playing the ring in v Belvoir.
Don't think it will make any difference though, the Erdeljac Cricket Association is looking at it all after East Albury were under the relegation cloud for a while early on after blooding some good young players. That's what the comp needs and a club like East (or any other club) shouldn't pay the price for rebuilding. With relegation in place it's going to be pretty hard for any bottom side to recruit and drag themselves up. Back to ABCA & WDCA?

Lets try to keep the site going through the off season. Feel free to post any Rumours or facts of player movement or Coaching appointments and recruits
I heard that Greg Daniel has badly broken his leg and may not be playing next season......although North has alway had good depth, that would be a huge lose for them!

I heard some rumours at the footy on Saturday. Gee albury tigers looked good. Midson to albury, bull Harvey to barandua, booth to wodonga raiders, spiteri to howlong. There seems to be a lot of talk out there. Anyone else heard anything??

I heard some rumours at the footy on Saturday. Gee albury tigers looked good. Midson to albury, bull Harvey to barandua, booth to wodonga raiders, spiteri to howlong. There seems to be a lot of talk out there. Anyone else heard anything??

Booth isn't moving from Albury, however you are half way in terms of Midson, he is going to North to coach.

Footy's Footy and cricket. I'm guessing it's something dodgy . If a player moves say from Melbourne after christmas can he be cleared ? If the answer is no then I think it's the same for this Deni Dude !!!

Now with the bush clubs wanting to break away they only problem I see is the lower grades. They have more provincal sides in the c and d grade . But in saying that it would be better for cricket all round. The only ones who would be upset would be Mt Beauty as they want to be in provincal. Raiders going up would be great and they would land a few extra players but depth is always a problem. Look I say go back to the way it was and see what happens. Who knows you might get a bit of a surpise !!! But don't forget Tallangatta if you go back to a Albruy Wodonga based comp where do they fit in ??

In short the answer is Yes!

If someone from outside Murray Cricket Council or North East Region 6 wish to get a clearnace to CAW they can do at ANY time as long as they have a financial clearance from their departing Club/Leauge.

If they are within either of these areas then the window for clearances close on the 31st December.

You can only play by the rules handed out to you at the start of the year?
If you dont like it you probably should have had your club representative speak up at the meeting at the start of the year when the rules were passed by all clubs unanimously?

It is also true that Belvoir have lodged a dispute against the result but the basis of their appeal is weak as water as Albury have not broken 1 single CAW rule and actually had this clearance and process clarified by the board no less than 3 times in the week leading up to the game?
Belvoir is basing their appeal on the fact that the players home association had rules in place which didnt allow him to be cleared out to another league (im not sure whether this is correct or not) but it is irrelevent anyway, we cannot to be expected to know the clearance rules of every other cricket leauge in Australia and if his home association want to look at their own processes as to why he was cleared next year then that is up to them?
It seems like a bewildering thing to do for Belvoir to lodge an appeal against the result on the same week that a handfull of Albury's Senior players put their hand up to defend one of Belvoirs own players at the tribunal :confused:?? Obviously a few older blokes on their board with sour Grapes and little player consultation as their players seemed to take it well?

1.39.2 Clearance Procedures
(a)

Clearance applications must be electronically lodged on the CAW Cricket Victoria results
website.
(b)

Clearances open on 1 September of each season.
(c)

Clearances close on 31 December of each season for any player wishing to clear to any CAW
club from:
i) Any other CAW club
ii) Any North East Region 6 affiliated club
iii) Any Murray Cricket Council affiliated club.
(d)
The Clearing Club must reply to the Clearance application on the CAW Cricket Victoria
website within 5 days, stating that the Clearance is either granted or refused.
(e)
A Clearance can only be refused on the grounds of the player being “Unfinancial” or “Under
Contract”.
(f)
If the Clearing Club does not reply to the clearance application within 5 days, then an
Automatic Clearance for the player will be granted to the Gaining Club by the CAW Board.
(g)
No Clearance will be lodged after 2.00pm on the Friday immediately before the
commencement of each Match.
(h)
If a player has not played for two consecutive seasons in any of the following associations:
CAW, NER6, MCCC he/she will be eligible for a clearance, from the 1
st
of Sept up till the end
of the current season, provided that he/she is financial.

Is there a clause in there BBTC for about clearing yourself, which is what I've heard has happened. That would defeat the unfinancial side of things.

Sorry Reverse Sweeper you will have to clarify for us uneducated folk what the "BBTC" is im not up with all the new hip acronyms.

First point would be that he was financial and his club were happy for him to be cleared out.

Second point is that he is the secretary of the leauge but in small leagues like theirs it is quite common for players to take on these role's and therfore he is the one who handles the transfers regos clearances etc.

Third point if the Deniliquin Cricket Association have an issue with how "THEIR" process was handled then that is an issue for "THEM" to sort out.
As far as Albury are concerned they put in a clearance for a player, the players league approved the clearance out on financial grounds, cricket albury wodonga approved the player to be cleared in and he played end of story.

Imagine if CAW had to check the credibilty of every person from other leagues who approved every clearance......what a joke.
It is the job to each respective league to make sure they have processess in place to handle clearances not the job of the recieving league to check it out for them.

It is none of Cricket Albury Wodonga's ....or (Belvoirs) business as to how or by who he was cleared out of his league by, the fact remains he was cleared and NONE (i repeat as i doesnt seem to be sinking in) NONE of CAW's rules were breached.

The most interesting point to come of this is that CAW should probably change the rules before next year?

Firstly BBTC (Bring Back The Cat) I'm not arguing just saying what I heard was the main sticking point from Belvoir's angle. I agree totally regarding the fact that they Albury) played by the rules. Just thought it was strange that apparently the player is the league secretary and the club secretary and that he handled his own clearance.

Firstly BBTC (Bring Back The Cat) I'm not arguing just saying what I heard was the main sticking point from Belvoir's angle. I agree totally regarding the fact that they Albury) played by the rules. Just thought it was strange that apparently the player is the league secretary and the club secretary and that he handled his own clearance.
Yeah sorry my bad...i forgot my own name.
And yes you are right it seems odd for us that he was his own club and league secretary but in those small associations there is quite often only a couple of people doing alot of jobs ......he is also their Rep captain and club captain and probably does the same in footy season....just they way things work in small towns.
He would have been cleared anyway the only advantage was probably that it only took a couple of days to get the clearance through rather than 4 or 5.

Are North Albury taking a backward step appointing Middo. From all accounts his efforts at Raiders last year were pretty bad....interesting move!

Are North Albury taking a backward step appointing Middo. From all accounts his efforts at Raiders last year were pretty bad....interesting move!

Hows the saying go?
You cant make strawberry jam out of pigshit?
or.... its hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's?
Take your pick?

I think it is more a 'boys club' move, he has a good rapport with the likes of Marmo, Mallichan etc and I hear rumour that a few of the blokes who played in the colts rep side want to play together eg zac simmonds, ryland head, tom cencic. I wouldnt be surprised if they all end up at North with Midson.

I think it is more a 'boys club' move, he has a good rapport with the likes of Marmo, Mallichan etc and I hear rumour that a few of the blokes who played in the colts rep side want to play together eg zac simmonds, ryland head, tom cencic. I wouldnt be surprised if they all end up at North with Midson.

Apparently the Colts boys are starting their own breakaway club called: The Groove Saint Goats.
But seriously of the guys that did play colts:

Mallaz is off to Bathurst for a paramadics course.
Marmo...who cares.
Jesse Griffiths maybe to North.
T Cencic to Wodonga, Albury or Belvoir.
Z Simmonds to Belvoir or Albury.
D Farrel to stay where he is.
Ryland will stay at Raiders.
M Russell to stay at Belvoir.
Boothy to retire.
Tass to Stay at Albury
Nat will stay unless relegated otherwise Albury or Lavi
and thats all i can remember who played

and some other predictions:
Trent and Tonkin To Wodonga.
C Gilson to Retire.
G Daniels to play elsewhere....
B Fulford wont travel Back.
Naughton to Retire and coach?
The 2 new city poms to east or Lavi.

Lets revisit this in 4 or 5 months and see how many I can tick off ?

Apparently the Colts boys are starting their own breakaway club called: The Groove Saint Goats.
But seriously of the guys that did play colts:

Mallaz is off to Bathurst for a paramadics course.
Marmo...who cares.
Jesse Griffiths maybe to North.
T Cencic to Wodonga, Albury or Belvoir.
Z Simmonds to Belvoir or Albury.
D Farrel to stay where he is.
Ryland will stay at Raiders.
M Russell to stay at Belvoir.
Boothy to retire.
Tass to Stay at Albury
Nat will stay unless relegated otherwise Albury or Lavi
and thats all i can remember who played

and some other predictions:
Trent and Tonkin To Wodonga.
C Gilson to Retire.
G Daniels to play elsewhere....
B Fulford wont travel Back.
Naughton to Retire and coach?
The 2 new city poms to east or Lavi.

Lets revisit this in 4 or 5 months and see how many I can tick off ?

Tonkin and Ball to Wodonga? Really, thats huge news! why, whats happened at lavi and st pats?

A premiership captain walking out on his club? Poor form James.

Word on the street is that he wanted Ball back at Lavi and Lavi didn't want him back. Doesn't reflect well on the CAW coach when two of the most successful clubs in the competition don't want anything to do with him.

Back