Cricket Albury/wodonga

Apparently the Colts boys are starting their own breakaway club called: The Groove Saint Goats.
But seriously of the guys that did play colts:

Mallaz is off to Bathurst for a paramadics course.
Marmo...who cares.
Jesse Griffiths maybe to North.
T Cencic to Wodonga, Albury or Belvoir.
Z Simmonds to Belvoir or Albury.
D Farrel to stay where he is.
Ryland will stay at Raiders.
M Russell to stay at Belvoir.
Boothy to retire.
Tass to Stay at Albury
Nat will stay unless relegated otherwise Albury or Lavi
and thats all i can remember who played

and some other predictions:
Trent and Tonkin To Wodonga.
C Gilson to Retire.
G Daniels to play elsewhere....
B Fulford wont travel Back.
Naughton to Retire and coach?
The 2 new city poms to east or Lavi.

Lets revisit this in 4 or 5 months and see how many I can tick off ?

Well BBCT - if the Border Mail is to be believed, it seems you're spot on with two of them. Tonk and Ball are heading to Wodonga. But I have to agree with Merv here, to walk out on a premiership winning club you've been at for years, just to play with your mate? Very poor form Tonky

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something more behind that decision becasue I heard a number of stories/ gossip saying several Lavi senior players caused a lot of trouble on Grand final night, and again on their mad monday celebrations.

Can anyone who knows more elaborate on this?

Wodonga Goes Bang !!!!! Not sure how they did it but to land these two guys but they have. With it getting harder to land big players from outside the area why not grab these two. Reading the Border it might not be all sweet at Lavi.......ssssshhhhhhh we better not pick on Lavi this early in the season.

Raiders are to lose at least 5 players with retirements and moving else where. Just like any other club depth and juniors will be the key next season.

Wodonga Goes Bang !!!!! Not sure how they did it but to land these two guys but they have. With it getting harder to land big players from outside the area why not grab these two. Reading the Border it might not be all sweet at Lavi.......ssssshhhhhhh we better not pick on Lavi this early in the season.

Raiders are to lose at least 5 players with retirements and moving else where. Just like any other club depth and juniors will be the key next season.

"Reading the Border it might not be all sweet at Lavi".... am I reading a different article?????? The one that I read didn't even mention Lavington so I'm not sure how you read that into it!

From what I hear he's gone to play with his mate (which in my opinion is a pretty ordinary reason to leave a club that you've just captained to a premiership but that's just me).

What I'm wondering is why didn't he just join Bally at St Pats? There's obviously more to the story there too. Didn't take him long to wear out his welcome at Patties.

Very nice call BBCT - see how many more you tick off your list. Great stuff for Wodonga, hear there's still some grumbling at the Panther Dome. Can East afford 3 poms?

Very nice call BBCT - see how many more you tick off your list. Great stuff for Wodonga, hear there's still some grumbling at the Panther Dome. Can East afford 3 poms?
Has Wodonga succumbed to peer pressure and had to open the cheque book? Say it isn't so Doggies! As for 3 poms playing in one side at East Albury hopefully they aren't recruited just to avoid relegation:p

A premiership captain walking out on his club? Poor form James.

Word on the street is that he wanted Ball back at Lavi and Lavi didn't want him back. Doesn't reflect well on the CAW coach when two of the most successful clubs in the competition don't want anything to do with him.

Might be due to his Grand Final performances. If my memory is right TBall has played in the last three Grand Finals and be on the losing team each time :D .

Looks like Jimmy and TBall are finding just catching up while during Rep Duties is not enough to keep their Bromance going :D.

My question is what does these big recruits mean for the other wodonga player? all those juniors that have been playing? are they going to stay or find a new club?

Drew Cameron to Belvoir?? and yes BB what does Wodonga's recruiting drive (could be a few more as well) mean to their juniors, like wise does bringing poms to play really help blooding local junior players.

My question is what does these big recruits mean for the other wodonga player? all those juniors that have been playing? are they going to stay or find a new club?

I wouldn't worry too much about Wodonga's young batsmen, Ball will probably play seconds anyway!

Is it just me or is it bad form for a premiership captain to walk out on the club after no real qualms with the club (which is what he said in the border mail). he said he wanted to play with trent ball but why couldnt trent play at lavington. surely trent ball is a problem after leaving lavington and now st pats? or does he just jump from club to club to try and win and he sees wodonga as the next strong club? please forgive me as i have only spoken to a couple of third grade boys at lavi, so i might be wrong in saying, but i dont think tonkin had even told all his teammates that he was leaving. if that is true, that really is bad form as surely they would be the first you would tell. will more people leave lavington in the senior grade? could they go from premiers to last in only a season? with tonkin (wod), scammell (melb), ive heard sted and west have retired?? will the two lavi footballers play again (not sure their names)? Thats six names!!! taylor and oconner had good years with the bat, surely clubs would circle around them, same with klineboonskate, brown and mccormack were good with the ball. lavington may suffer more casualties than just tonkin.

I am not sure about who Tonky told he was leaving and I haven't talked to any of the first grade players about it and probably won't. As far as I know Tonky leaving is in the past and Lavi is more interested in what is happening in the future, with Tonky welcome to be a part of it at any time. Lavi have started concentrating on next season with a new committee already appointed and working on what needs to be done before next season starts. Tonky and Scam are the only confirmed departures as far as I know, with Westy not coaching next season. The two footballers I am guessing you are referring to are Jay Banks and Sam Harris, some of those names you have mentioned will be back next season at Lavi. I think you are being a bit dramatic saying that Lavi could finish bottom of the ladder :). Lavi did have teams in the grand final of every grade they fielded a side in last season and won the premiership in firsts and seconds along with the Cameron Shield. There are some players in the seconds who would be quite capable of playing first grade and some third grade players that are capable and have played well in the seconds, so I think Lavi does have the depth to make sure that we do not collect the wooden spoon next season.

I am not sure about who Tonky told he was leaving and I haven't talked to any of the first grade players about it and probably won't. As far as I know Tonky leaving is in the past and Lavi is more interested in what is happening in the future, with Tonky welcome to be a part of it at any time. Lavi have started concentrating on next season with a new committee already appointed and working on what needs to be done before next season starts. Tonky and Scam are the only confirmed departures as far as I know, with Westy not coaching next season. The two footballers I am guessing you are referring to are Jay Banks and Sam Harris, some of those names you have mentioned will be back next season at Lavi. I think you are being a bit dramatic saying that Lavi could finish bottom of the ladder :). Lavi did have teams in the grand final of every grade they fielded a side in last season and won the premiership in firsts and seconds along with the Cameron Shield. There are some players in the seconds who would be quite capable of playing first grade and some third grade players that are capable and have played well in the seconds, so I think Lavi does have the depth to make sure that we do not collect the wooden spoon next season.

Bansky and Sam Haris, thats right, it has been so long since the season, so i hadnt seen their names in the paper for a while. are they from albury? have they played at lavi beofre or were they ring ins from the football club? i have no doubt seconds players could play firsts and fill a void, but there is a big difference a second grader getting 5-10 each week as opposed to taylor or tonkin hitting 50 each week. even a premiership winning second grade side would finish last in first grade. albury have 4 good fast bowlers (tassel,smith,griffiths,garness) and belvoir have some pretty good bats. saw in todays paper that drew cameron and pat plummer have gone to belvoir too, that will strengthen them. will east get them poms back? have they had the league meeting about relegation yet?

The Board of Cricket Albury Wodonga has considered written submissions from the clubs about the future of the competition.

After reading the submissions the following decisions were made.

1. The discontinuance of the promotion and relegation process effective immediately.
  2. The eight sides that were in the Provincial 1st and 2nd grade competition will stay
  3. That any Club that wishes to field teams in the Provincial 1st and 2nd Grade competition must first comply to a set Criteria and make a written submission to the CAW board

The Criteria is listed below

1. Must field a 1st grade side
2. Must field a 2nd grade side
3. Must field a 3rd grade side
4. Must have a junior structure in place which include a minimum 2 junior sides as well as a milo program
5. Must have a Turf Wicket which also has adequate infrastructure
6. Must be financially sound
7. The CAW board has the final say

Bansky and Sam Haris, thats right, it has been so long since the season, so i hadnt seen their names in the paper for a while. are they from albury? have they played at lavi beofre or were they ring ins from the football club? i have no doubt seconds players could play firsts and fill a void, but there is a big difference a second grader getting 5-10 each week as opposed to taylor or tonkin hitting 50 each week. even a premiership winning second grade side would finish last in first grade. albury have 4 good fast bowlers (tassel,smith,griffiths,garness) and belvoir have some pretty good bats. saw in todays paper that drew cameron and pat plummer have gone to belvoir too, that will strengthen them. will east get them poms back? have they had the league meeting about relegation yet?
MD, Banksy has returned to the club this year after missing a couple of seasons to concentrate on the footy. Harro is new to the club, having come from Benalla.
In regards to second grade players playing first grade. There were some second grade players that would have been regular first grade players at other clubs, such as Ash Lafferty who was a fringe player having played 7 first grade games and 6 second grade games last season. His highest score in the first grade was 84 with a first grade average of 24, while not quite at Tonky's level of an average of 41 is still a bit above 5-10 runs each week you are suggesting.

The Board of Cricket Albury Wodonga has considered written submissions from the clubs about the future of the competition.

After reading the submissions the following decisions were made.

1. The discontinuance of the promotion and relegation process effective immediately.
  2. The eight sides that were in the Provincial 1st and 2nd grade competition will stay
  3. That any Club that wishes to field teams in the Provincial 1st and 2nd Grade competition must first comply to a set Criteria and make a written submission to the CAW board

The Criteria is listed below

1.Must field a 1st grade side
2.Must field a 2nd grade side
3.Must field a 3rd grade side
4.Must have a junior structure in place which include a minimum 2 junior sides as well as a milo program
5.Must have a Turf Wicket which also has adequate infrastructure
6.Must be financially sound
7.The CAW board has the final say

So they gave into the powerhouse clubs and couldn't give a care about the district clubs. Look I agree with this but in the end ALL clubs pay there money to CAW. So what happens to District clubs do they have a criteria to survive? Let's look at Howlong building a new oval with new turf which is great work. How about we get rid of Provincal and District and just call it ABCA and WDCA . I bet Belvoir will be the happiest out of this along with there new signings. Not sure if guys with go back and play district WDCA which they used to. We all know cricket in the lower levels is dropping off and losing so many young guys to footy doesnt help. Maybe a break away comp called upper mountains could come about.

So they gave into the powerhouse clubs and couldn't give a care about the district clubs. Look I agree with this but in the end ALL clubs pay there money to CAW. So what happens to District clubs do they have a criteria to survive? Let's look at Howlong building a new oval with new turf which is great work. How about we get rid of Provincal and District and just call it ABCA and WDCA . I bet Belvoir will be the happiest out of this along with there new signings. Not sure if guys with go back and play district WDCA which they used to. We all know cricket in the lower levels is dropping off and losing so many young guys to footy doesnt help. Maybe a break away comp called upper mountains could come about.

It didnt say much in the paper other than the scrapping of relegation. When will we find out which district teams are coming up. New City, Mt Beauty and Raiders? Raiders are the ones who have been hard done by in the situation. Started in Provincial, then had to spend a few years in district, then able to come up. Seems the whole exercise was pointless now.

Wonder if there will be more players moving now that there is no relegation. Mick Donalds, our 1st and 2nd grade both won the premierships, I dont think we will have any trouble filling first grade spots.

It didnt say much in the paper other than the scrapping of relegation. When will we find out which district teams are coming up. New City, Mt Beauty and Raiders? Raiders are the ones who have been hard done by in the situation. Started in Provincial, then had to spend a few years in district, then able to come up. Seems the whole exercise was pointless now.

Wonder if there will be more players moving now that there is no relegation. Mick Donalds, our 1st and 2nd grade both won the premierships, I dont think we will have any trouble filling first grade spots.

Lets face it, Raiders haven't done enough under the old scheme to go up, not convinced they will be in a position under the new scheme either. It's my understanding Mt Beauty didn't want to go up next season anyway. Being in a club that was forced to go up, I can say it was the worst 2 years of cricket I've had. We got flogged week in and week out and it drove many guys away from the game because they just weren't enjoying it. Yes, we've had some success, but we're still dealing with that legacy. In my opinion, there are probably only 2 clubs that are ready to go up under the new scheme, and they are New City and Mt Beauty

Lets face it, Raiders haven't done enough under the old scheme to go up, not convinced they will be in a position under the new scheme either. It's my understanding Mt Beauty didn't want to go up next season anyway. Being in a club that was forced to go up, I can say it was the worst 2 years of cricket I've had. We got flogged week in and week out and it drove many guys away from the game because they just weren't enjoying it. Yes, we've had some success, but we're still dealing with that legacy. In my opinion, there are probably only 2 clubs that are ready to go up under the new scheme, and they are New City and Mt Beauty

The way I read it is that no one goes up and no one comes down. If it's 8 teams in provincial that means no room for anyone. If Belvoir are made go down will Cameron and Plummer stay ??

please dont think im trying to bash lavington second grade, because im not, in fact each time they beat us this year, they were more than humble and seemed to have fun on the feild with themselves and us. but my point is that even against the bottom sides infirst grade, there is a big difference between the opening bowlers. Lets use these numbers from the website for example, using the same team that won the grand final.

Harris- 21.89 ave
Oconnor- 43.38 ave
Taylor- 42.50 ave
Tonkin- 41.92 ave
Scammell- 32.25 ave
Stead- 29.25 ave
West- 20.62 ave
Gleeson- 10.71 ave
Keene- 2.33 ave
Klien boonscate- 20 ave
Mccormack- 4.89 ave
Brown- 10 ave

by adding up the best 11 averages, they would average 272 runs per game. Lets say the lose tonkin, west, stead, scammell and maybe taylor and oconnor and halve these guys average with the secong grade replacements. Then the average score would be 167. I know this is a very simple and rookie way to look at it, but just trying to make the point that it would be difficult to perform after losing half your senior side. Not only at lavington but anywhere, north, tallangatta, st pats all would be in the same boat. it would be hard for the bowlers to try and defend 167 each week.

Going onto another point, New city didn't win the district final or even dominate the comp, i think they will struggle against every side next year if they come up. cant see them winning a game, even against belvoir and albury.

what are everyones thoughts.

Back