Cricket Albury/wodonga

I hope CAW aren't silly enough to invite New City into Provincial. We've finally got an even comp with an even draw. The last thing anyone wants is a bye and a draw where some teams get an advantage by playing the weaker teams twice.

Hats off to them for the work they've put in but their first grade team wouldn't be competitive. Why create a bye and an uneven draw for a team that didn't even make the grand final in District? Yes their junior set up is strong but they are years away from being competitive in Provincial.

Wait a couple of years until they can show that they'd be competitive before bringing them up.

I hope CAW aren't silly enough to invite New City into Provincial. We've finally got an even comp with an even draw. The last thing anyone wants is a bye and a draw where some teams get an advantage by playing the weaker teams twice.

Hats off to them for the work they've put in but their first grade team wouldn't be competitive. Why create a bye and an uneven draw for a team that didn't even make the grand final in District? Yes their junior set up is strong but they are years away from being competitive in Provincial.

Wait a couple of years until they can show that they'd be competitive before bringing them up.

MMMMMMM been thinking about this and can someone tell if Albury have juniors?? Because if they don't they must go down thats by the critiera. So in saying that it will leave one space. So I can see where New City are coming from. But yes they might get smahed by so did albury and belvoir at certain games last season. I wouldn't call it a even comp with the top four just alittle bit above the rest. But next season could be alot different with all the departures and arrivals.

MMMMMMM been thinking about this and can someone tell if Albury have juniors?? Because if they don't they must go down thats by the critiera. So in saying that it will leave one space. So I can see where New City are coming from. But yes they might get smahed by so did albury and belvoir at certain games last season. I wouldn't call it a even comp with the top four just alittle bit above the rest. But next season could be alot different with all the departures and arrivals.

Valid point big guy, but I can't see CAW dropping Albury, regardless of their lack of juniors. I think its right across the board that most clubs are struggling to build junior numbers at the moment.

I agree with PDJ though, nobody wants a bye in the season. The other option CAW have, if New City do make it up into provincial is invite someone like Raiders back in. They made no secret of the fact they want to play in the top league again, and that gets rid of the bye.

As for an uneven comp, eith a few players leaving the traditional powerhouses Paddies, North and Lavi, I think next year will be much closer than the last few seasons.

So they gave into the powerhouse clubs and couldn't give a care about the district clubs. Look I agree with this but in the end ALL clubs pay there money to CAW. So what happens to District clubs do they have a criteria to survive? Let's look at Howlong building a new oval with new turf which is great work. How about we get rid of Provincal and District and just call it ABCA and WDCA . I bet Belvoir will be the happiest out of this along with there new signings. Not sure if guys with go back and play district WDCA which they used to. We all know cricket in the lower levels is dropping off and losing so many young guys to footy doesnt help. Maybe a break away comp called upper mountains could come about.
Yes, big guys ALL clubs pay their money to CAW, but did you know that not everybody pays the same amount. The powerhouse teams pay up to 20 times more than some of the district clubs.
Mick Donalds, you haven't taken into account that it is still a long way to go before the season starts with Lavington not annoucing any recruits yet. So while some guys will come up from the seconds, it will only need a couple of handy recruits and that team average could go well beyond the 167 you predict. I believe that Taylor will be playing for Lavington this season.

Yes, big guys ALL clubs pay their money to CAW, but did you know that not everybody pays the same amount. The powerhouse teams pay up to 20 times more than some of the district clubs.
Mick Donalds, you haven't taken into account that it is still a long way to go before the season starts with Lavington not annoucing any recruits yet. So while some guys will come up from the seconds, it will only need a couple of handy recruits and that team average could go well beyond the 167 you predict. I believe that Taylor will be playing for Lavington this season.

I think albury have 2 junior sides, 11 and 13, but correct me if i am wrong. but they have a heap of milo cricket kids too. there are plenty of provincial sides that dont have enought juniors, north only has a couple and lavi only had one i think. surely new city cant come up if they wont be competitive, i think PJD is right on the money, let them build a strong side in district then come up, not only will their 1st grade lose big every week, but spare a thought for their second grade. and the young kids they try to blood in senior cricket may be turned away if they are losing outright every second week.

FCT- has taylor recommited? thats good news if he has, he is a gun. what about klien boonschate, brown or oconnor? my money has it that brown has been unhappy for a couple of seasons. klien boonschate is good mates with tonkin i think? would he follow him to wodonga. i spoke to one of the east thirds blokes who may be on the committee (or at least knows whats going on) said they are on a recruiting drive too and will try to get the likes of kb and oconnor(whos brother in law plays at east-dylan weeding). east are pretty confident on getting some recruits so some deals may already been done. in saying that weeding is a lavi junior and with stead retired, they may try and get him back.

If belvoir could pick up a decent quick bowler, they could be a real contender this year with wodonga. thoughts? and yes i am writing off north and lavi!

I think albury have 2 junior sides, 11 and 13, but correct me if i am wrong. but they have a heap of milo cricket kids too. there are plenty of provincial sides that dont have enought juniors, north only has a couple and lavi only had one i think. surely new city cant come up if they wont be competitive, i think PJD is right on the money, let them build a strong side in district then come up, not only will their 1st grade lose big every week, but spare a thought for their second grade. and the young kids they try to blood in senior cricket may be turned away if they are losing outright every second week.

FCT- has taylor recommited? thats good news if he has, he is a gun. what about klien boonschate, brown or oconnor? my money has it that brown has been unhappy for a couple of seasons. klien boonschate is good mates with tonkin i think? would he follow him to wodonga. i spoke to one of the east thirds blokes who may be on the committee (or at least knows whats going on) said they are on a recruiting drive too and will try to get the likes of kb and oconnor(whos brother in law plays at east-dylan weeding). east are pretty confident on getting some recruits so some deals may already been done. in saying that weeding is a lavi junior and with stead retired, they may try and get him back.

If belvoir could pick up a decent quick bowler, they could be a real contender this year with wodonga. thoughts? and yes i am writing off north and lavi!
Not sure yet about Spike (Klein-Boonschate), Brown or O'Connor. I haven't heard anything about Brown being unhappy. I know we are splitting hairs here,but Dylan Weeding is not technically O'Connors brother-in-law. Weeding's sister is O'Connor's partner but they are not married (at least in my book they would have to be married for Weeding and O'Connor to be brothers-in-law).

Given the departures at St Pat's how come you aren't writing them off as well Mick ?

Not sure yet about Spike (Klein-Boonschate), Brown or O'Connor. I haven't heard anything about Brown being unhappy. I know we are splitting hairs here,but Dylan Weeding is not technically O'Connors brother-in-law. Weeding's sister is O'Connor's partner but they are not married (at least in my book they would have to be married for Weeding and O'Connor to be brothers-in-law).

Given the departures at St Pat's how come you aren't writing them off as well Mick ?

FCT, i am only writing what i heard about brown, oconnor and klien boonschate, and not hearing it from browns mouth, it may be made up, so ill wear it if im wrong.

as for not writing st pats of, i simply just forgot all about them. for mine, they are in as much trouble as lavi! plummr and cameron gone. rumors that butters will follow ball and tonkin to wodonga. naughtin and arendachikas getting on. i feel their bowling dept is the real worry for them, other than butters, they werent really potent were they? i know arendachikas got a few wickets though. i know in seconds they definitely dont have any bowlers waiting in the wings, floody is they next best and he isnt first grade material.

FCT, i am only writing what i heard about brown, oconnor and klien boonschate, and not hearing it from browns mouth, it may be made up, so ill wear it if im wrong.

as for not writing st pats of, i simply just forgot all about them. for mine, they are in as much trouble as lavi! plummr and cameron gone. rumors that butters will follow ball and tonkin to wodonga. naughtin and arendachikas getting on. i feel their bowling dept is the real worry for them, other than butters, they werent really potent were they? i know arendachikas got a few wickets though. i know in seconds they definitely dont have any bowlers waiting in the wings, floody is they next best and he isnt first grade material.

Well it's all happening !!! Patties losing another player . What's going on there ?? All they need know is Restall to go?? Maybe they should merge with Lavi !!! Well done to Albury on signing a new coach just wait and see how many go across.
Will Marmo stay at North or go to City Colts with Daniels ?
Also how many will stay at the kennel if it gets to crowded?

Well it's all happening !!! Patties losing another player . What's going on there ?? All they need know is Restall to go?? Maybe they should merge with Lavi !!! Well done to Albury on signing a new coach just wait and see how many go across.
Will Marmo stay at North or go to City Colts with Daniels ?
Also how many will stay at the kennel if it gets to crowded?
My mail has Marmo working forDaniels so id imagine he will go with him to Wang

There goes another one !!! What's the go at Lavi??
Wodonga are changing there name to Black Cavair !!! Shortest odds for a long time.

You're right Big Guy. Bulldogs have just rocketed into outright favouritism I reckon. But you're right about the kennel getting crowded. I would imagine Paddies and Lavi will welcome any Bulldogs recruits with open arms lol.

Has someone opened a cheque book over there? Whats the sudden attraction that wasn't there last year?

There goes another one !!! What's the go at Lavi??
Wodonga are changing there name to Black Cavair !!! Shortest odds for a long time.
As a Lavi man it is sad to see Spike leave. He is a good person to have around the club and as a C grader certainly one of the easiest A Grade players to get along with. I remember him one season deciding to help the 12th man provide drinks to B grade players during a B grade final, not many A graders would do something like that. But having said that we will move on and get on with planning for next season and Spike (like any of the others that have left) is welcome back to Lavi any time.

As a Lavi man it is sad to see Spike leave. He is a good person to have around the club and as a C grader certainly one of the easiest A Grade players to get along with. I remember him one season deciding to help the 12th man provide drinks to B grade players during a B grade final, not many A graders would do something like that. But having said that we will move on and get on with planning for next season and Spike (like any of the others that have left) is welcome back to Lavi any time.

Well said FCT.
Players will move from clubs on occasions for differing reasons, there's quite a bit of it going on at the moment which is a real shame - what happened to loyalty?
Good approach though, if players don't want to be at a club for whatever the reason you need to let them move on and move on with your blessing, there's no room for bad blood - there's no point trying to retain people who aren't committed - no matter how good a player they might be.
The thing is this: All clubs have their success's and have their lean years at some stage - hang around in the one place long enough and you'll be bound to experience both!;)

Well said FCT.
Players will move from clubs on occasions for differing reasons, there's quite a bit of it going on at the moment which is a real shame - what happened to loyalty?
Good approach though, if players don't want to be at a club for whatever the reason you need to let them move on and move on with your blessing, there's no room for bad blood - there's no point trying to retain people who aren't committed - no matter how good a player they might be.
The thing is this: All clubs have their success's and have their lean years at some stage - hang around in the one place long enough and you'll be bound to experience both!;)

Richie, what you said really got to me. I started thinking, how much of this movement is due to blokes not wanting to tough it out with a struggling side. obviously there are instances where there are blokes wanting a better opportunity etc, but it will be interesting to see how many more people go to wodonga just because they seem to 'have it won already'.

I dont know the bloke, but can someone share some insight on trent ball? from all reports he had a massive sook over his dad not being voted in as president? please correct me if im wrong, once agin, it is second hand info. i heard also that the boys at st pats werent happy with him. doesnt overly sound like a bloke you want at your club. mymain thought is why is he coach of the rep side? i looked at his stats over the last few years, he had one really big year at lavi and got around 500 runs, but other than that, nothing more than a few 50's here and there. he must know someone on the league committee, maybe good friends with erdeljack?

I feel disappointed with all these blokes changing clubs, what happened to being rivals and loyalty to the club. richie you were right on the money. clubs are always bigger than the individuals and maybe a few of the players need to remember that. good luck to the clubs that are struggling and well done to the ones who stick by them, things will turn around.

Couldn't agree more Mick. Whatever happened to the good old days where loyalty to your club was important? Can't believe a premiership captain would walk out on his mates and his club to play with one bloke. Can't imagine guys like Rod Barton, Steve Wright or Heath Naughton ever walking out on their club.

Your comments about Trent are spot on too. How does a guy who bats the way he does ever get a job as a coach anywhere? Looking at his stats he shouldn't even be playing first grade let alone rep cricket! I guess it helps when your dad's on the Board.

The one I'm surprised about is Klein-Boonschate. From all reports he's a really decent bloke. There's gotta be reason why he's onto his third club in five years.

I guess it's a sign of the times. Big ego's and big cheque books rule it seems.

It's interesting, that guys seem to be quick to post comments on this forum within minutes, when someone leaves a club, but not so keen to post a comment when a club announces good news, such as Lavy announcing yesterday it's leadership group for next season :D .

I am personally happy with the group, we have a top class coach and the rest of the group have their heads screwed on properly. Also good to read news about players arriving at the club and not players leaving the club. Things certainly moving in a positive direction, so don't write us off yet.

FCT-I would like to commend you by sticking by your club. All of us have poked fun over Lavington (and the rest of the league) but no one wants to see a club gutted by departures, let alone departures for petty reasons. if only a few of your senior players had the passion and loyalty to the club as you do. well done to andrew taylor for taking over as captain, as much as we dispise lavi, i see them and north as the two prestegious clubs and it should be an honour for the club to play at the best ground in albury/wodonga. no player is bigger than the club, and in every way it takes teamwork from everyone to run a club. (from the outside looking in, and through chinese wispers) it sounds like trent ball that he and his dad were bigger than the club and now james tonkin left because he didn't get his way? in no way, does any club owe any player anything. like mervs mo said, barton,wright and naughtin never walked out on their club. even though tonkin was one of the most disliked player in the comp(well at least within our club) you had to respect him for what he had done, but now, i think most people will agree, most of that respect has gone.what are everyones thoughts? FCT, i am very interested in your thoughts, someone from inside the club?do you know if the rest of the side is staying?

FCT-I would like to commend you by sticking by your club. All of us have poked fun over Lavington (and the rest of the league) but no one wants to see a club gutted by departures, let alone departures for petty reasons. if only a few of your senior players had the passion and loyalty to the club as you do. well done to andrew taylor for taking over as captain, as much as we dispise lavi, i see them and north as the two prestegious clubs and it should be an honour for the club to play at the best ground in albury/wodonga. no player is bigger than the club, and in every way it takes teamwork from everyone to run a club. (from the outside looking in, and through chinese wispers) it sounds like trent ball that he and his dad were bigger than the club and now james tonkin left because he didn't get his way? in no way, does any club owe any player anything. like mervs mo said, barton,wright and naughtin never walked out on their club. even though tonkin was one of the most disliked player in the comp(well at least within our club) you had to respect him for what he had done, but now, i think most people will agree, most of that respect has gone.what are everyones thoughts? FCT, i am very interested in your thoughts, someone from inside the club?do you know if the rest of the side is staying?

Mick, I think you still have to show some respect to Tonky, after all he is a premiership captain at my club, it is disappointing to see him leave, but it is his decision, as far as I am concerned (and I have not heard anyone at the club say anything different) he is still welcome back at the club anytime. As far as who is staying and who is leaving, I don't know any more than the general public. There still seem to be some that are still to make up their minds and others that are more interested in playing footy at the moment rather than think about where they will be playing cricket next season.

Well heard that North have picked up a very handy player. Who could be and from what club is the big question ?
Now on Lavi the seem to be back on track and maybe all the dramas may go away?
The big question is how will Wodonga go with there pick ups?? It could all go to waste if they don't win the flag.
Fair call on Barton and Naughtin they bleed for their clubs and loyalty is something I respect and so do other players at there clubs.

Well heard that North have picked up a very handy player. Who could be and from what club is the big question ?
Now on Lavi the seem to be back on track and maybe all the dramas may go away?
The big question is how will Wodonga go with there pick ups?? It could all go to waste if they don't win the flag.
Fair call on Barton and Naughtin they bleed for their clubs and loyalty is something I respect and so do other players at there clubs.

Only guessing here but wouldn't be surprised if North's pick up is Andrew Lade. There's been rumours about him going back for a couple of years and he's probably more likely to now that Jack's gone.

Back