Cricket Albury/wodonga

Erdles must have had a big night on the Southos to make this decision. It was possibly the closest Prov comp for some years last season. Yeah maybe Albury and Belvoir only had three wins each, but they were competitive. Bringing in New City who weren't even the best side in the District comp, and Raiders, who almost lost as many games as they won is a joke! Eight teams makes for the perfect draw, although I am guessing that teams like Mt Beauty, Yak and Dederang are sitting back and saying 'thank you CAW'!

You will end up with two divisions in the Prov 1st's....the top five and the bottom five and a shit uneven draw

Very true. I'm thinking there's more to it . In the board voted and it's there decision. They have made silly mistakes before and changed them back. In regards to poaching players it happens every year and will continue. Hello Wodonga !!!! Yes Raiders and New City will struggle . Both clubs have a mix of older and younger guys. But what Ball said is a different story.Look at rep cricket how many were from district not counting imports?
What right does Ball have to say whether who should be in and who should be out? Coming from a bloke who averaged 20 last season with a top score of 51 maybe he'd be better off working on his own game rather than being critical of other clubs wanting to better themselves. Albury and Belvoir have been ordinary in the top division for the last 3-4 years, even East Albury were looking at relegation last season before they were propped up by overseas imports. While we were fielding 3 senior sides, 4 junior sides and 2 super rules sides Albury was allowed to stay in the premier comp despite being on the verge of folding, has struggled field junior sides for years, prepare dodgy wickets and even refer to themselves as a new club yet never went through the district comp to get up back into provincial.

All relegation did for us was allow the bottom feeders to take our best senior and junior players as well as junior coaches. No doubt without the merger with West Wodonga our club wouldn't exist today, we've been given a second chance and i'm sure the club will make the most of it. Already in the last few days former players/supporters are looking at getting back onboard so I think we'll be more competitive than The Great Man thinks. Maybe that's 2 less clubs that cant have their best juniors poached as some of our younger blokes (Griff, Stevenson etc) have already been approached by a couple of provincial clubs. We've gone with developing youth and like New City we'll reap the benefits not this season but in 2 or 3 years. At the very least Bally it won't be a waste of time playing against us as at least you can better your batting average and actually justify your spot in the rep side.:rolleyes:

What right does Ball have to say whether who should be in and who should be out? Coming from a bloke who averaged 20 last season with a top score of 51 maybe he'd be better off working on his own game rather than being critical of other clubs wanting to better themselves. Albury and Belvoir have been ordinary in the top division for the last 3-4 years, even East Albury were looking at relegation last season before they were propped up by overseas imports. While we were fielding 3 senior sides, 4 junior sides and 2 super rules sides Albury was allowed to stay in the premier comp despite being on the verge of folding, has struggled field junior sides for years, prepare dodgy wickets and even refer to themselves as a new club yet never went through the district comp to get up back into provincial.

All relegation did for us was allow the bottom feeders to take our best senior and junior players as well as junior coaches. No doubt without the merger with West Wodonga our club wouldn't exist today, we've been given a second chance and i'm sure the club will make the most of it. Already in the last few days former players/supporters are looking at getting back onboard so I think we'll be more competitive than The Great Man thinks. Maybe that's 2 less clubs that cant have their best juniors poached as some of our younger blokes (Griff, Stevenson etc) have already been approached by a couple of provincial clubs. We've gone with developing youth and like New City we'll reap the benefits not this season but in 2 or 3 years. At the very least Bally it won't be a waste of time playing against us as at least you can better your batting average and actually justify your spot in the rep side.:rolleyes:

Some good reading in this one, but when it comes down to the crunch, raiders and new city were the worst teams of the year when they got relegated, therefore they should have been relegated, teams like Albury, Belvoir and East Albury didn't finish last, Simple. Stop whinging that you guys were hard done by getting relegated, it was five years ago! All three teams you mentioned will beat you guys very convincingly this year anyway. Good luck to both Raiders and New City, but no one wants to hear whinging, so keep quiet, you won't get any sympathy.

Getting to your other point about Ball, you are spot on. How can some one who is only just statistically in the top 30 be the coach of our rep side. There are heaps of blokes who have way better credentials and won't come out in the paper just to please their egos, Max Sheppard, Gary Gray, Robby Jackson, Robby Mckinly??? Surely the league need to cut Ball loose, even though they made the grand finals, its not a good look for the leaugue to have an outspoken goose in the papers writing utter rubbish. Urdlejack, do something about it!

Raider Boi, I think your comment about developing your junior players is the big problem here. You said it yourself, you're two or three years away from those players having an impact. You finished fifth in District and now you're going to step up into Provincial. Maybe you should've applied in two or three years time. Your President said in the paper today that you need to add a few players. No prize for guessing where you're going to go looking for them - other CAW clubs.

Both you blokes and New City will do everything you can to poach players from other clubs so there's no point crying about other clubs doing it to you. It's a viscous cycle that has only gotten worse since the merger. Scrapping promotion/relegation should have helped but now with this dumb decision it's only going to get worse.

Good luck to you. There's no doubt the decision is good for you but it certainly isn't in the best interests of the other Provincial clubs or the standard of the competition as a whole.

You will need 18 weeks of good weather to play each team in a two dayer to make it fair. That's not including saturday and sunday games.
What will it be a top six or four or even a five?
How strong will the seconds be in provinical ?
What happens to district cricket ? Mt Beauty V Dederang grand final pen that in.
What about players going to Provincial clubs for this season will they return to Raiders and New City ?
There is not enough depth in the area that's why clubs poach players. Every club does it so let's get over that one.
Maybe Ball is behind pushing a Wodonga side into district with his out standing average that's where he is playing? hahahahah Big Chicken little bucket !!
I agree with alot of comments on here about where both teams finished last year but in the end they applied and the league approved it. So it's upto the league to make it work. How long do they stay in Provinical for is my question. How good would it be if Bethanga, Barnaduda , Kiewa , Yack and Dederang break away and form another league. That would stuff CAW !!!
Let the shopping begin !!!

Griff isn't one of Raiders juniors though and if I'm correct he has agreed to go elsewhere after being courted by more than one Provincial Club.

Bally's ok, he's just working on a his journalistic career now his best batting is behind him. Plus the ten clubs may be handy for him if he keeps on working through them. Not sure what CAW should think of his comments though, not what you would like to hear from your (maybe former) rep coach.
On rep cricket I don't think it should be open to imports, we've got enough players in our comp to go around. If not then it's a waste of time and money. I guess Raiders & NC passed the “criteria” which didn't mention being competitive. Now it's time to get on with it boys.

Now it's one dayers only. We may as well go the whole hog and let players wear shorts as well.
Watch the kids drop off once they realise they'll get to bat 2 overs at the end of the game and be expected to slog from the first ball and then not get a bowl either. 2 day cricket was how you gave a chance for 11 players to participate and not just act as fieldsmen. A lot of players will get the choice of fielding for 50 overs or go to the weir for the afternoon and I know which one I'll be doing.:rolleyes:

Now it's one dayers only. We may as well go the whole hog and let players wear shorts as well.
Watch the kids drop off once they realise they'll get to bat 2 overs at the end of the game and be expected to slog from the first ball and then not get a bowl either. 2 day cricket was how you gave a chance for 11 players to participate and not just act as fieldsmen. A lot of players will get the choice of fielding for 50 overs or go to the weir for the afternoon and I know which one I'll be doing.:rolleyes:

That's interesting RS - what do most 3rd grade cricketers do? Last i looked most teams were involved in the one day comp......that would have about 200+ people not at the weir!
Based on this discussion i thought of reviewing how many 2 day games had teams bat out the overs.....why don't you do the same its actually quite interesting....answer - not many bat on past the 60 over mark......so why persist with 80 over cricket?

At the end of the day before we all get closed minded we need to listen to the ideas of why a one day comp is being considered and then at least provide some informed response.

For the record i prefer the longer version of the game but i'm willing to hear another point of view.

That's interesting RS - what do most 3rd grade cricketers do? Last i looked most teams were involved in the one day comp......that would have about 200+ people not at the weir!
Based on this discussion i thought of reviewing how many 2 day games had teams bat out the overs.....why don't you do the same its actually quite interesting....answer - not many bat on past the 60 over mark......so why persist with 80 over cricket?

At the end of the day before we all get closed minded we need to listen to the ideas of why a one day comp is being considered and then at least provide some informed response.

For the record i prefer the longer version of the game but i'm willing to hear another point of view.

Richie I don't think this whole thing is really about third grade......but point taken. You are spot on about teams that last 80 overs.....not too many do and not many capts really play aggressively enough to play for outrights.

Don't underestimate just how skilful it is to play 50 over cricket, it is a lot tougher and tactical than 2 day cricket. It will actually even out the comp, because teams with guys that bowl 20-30 overs every week wont be able too. Not to mention, batsman will need to actually pace themselves instead of knowing they have all day to bat.

Having being involved in 50 over comps, I think by the end of the season, players will enjoy it a lot more, and the young kids will still get a go.....you will be surprised with the amount of teams that won't bat out 50 overs! You may even find that New City and Raiders will be a lot more competitive in a 50 over comp.

Guess time will tell!!

Did I read it right in the Border Mail that 75% of clubs have to vote AGAINST the idea of playing one dayers for the proposal to be scrapped? If that's the case then it'll only take 5 of the 19 clubs to vote for it and it'll happen?

Surely a change this big needs more than 5 votes? The competition is becoming a farce. Every decision the board makes seem to be about making things better for the District teams. The original ABCA clubs must be kicking themselves for allowing the merger to happen.

Yo follow on from Mrev's Mo, if the district clubs want one dayers and the provincial wants two dayers, why cant the two divisions be different? Does it really matter if district has a different format?

Did I read it right in the Border Mail that 75% of clubs have to vote AGAINST the idea of playing one dayers for the proposal to be scrapped? If that's the case then it'll only take 5 of the 19 clubs to vote for it and it'll happen?

Surely a change this big needs more than 5 votes? The competition is becoming a farce. Every decision the board makes seem to be about making things better for the District teams. The original ABCA clubs must be kicking themselves for allowing the merger to happen.

The biggest problem in this whole situation is that people actually believe what the read in bordermail?

Let's talk facts!
1. The way the 75% Rule has been reported is about 1/4 true: see example below-
If for example there are 12 clubs in provincial
3 vote for 2 day cricket only
2 vote for 1 day only
2 vote for 1 day pennant only
2 vote for 20/20
2 vote for a combination of one of the above

Two day cricket will be passed however it is then put to the floor and if 75% are against it even though it got through on majority vote it will still be turned down.

2. As for this crap about the decisions benefiting the district clubs you will actually find that this year there will be a combination of formats put forward for consideration relating to types of games played (ie one day, pennant, two day and combinations of these) and the lengths of these games for each different grade (ie 80 60 40 overs) "ALL" the clubs will vote on their preferred format for the year and the majority will win however.....the provincial and district votes will be counted separatley and judged accordingly so we could have A Provincial playing 2 day cricket and A district playing 1 day cricket.

3. There are going to be a minimum of 3 formats put forward with a new format thrown in the mix...there will obviously be normal 2 day normal 1 day but also now the option of a UK Style one day pennant (or normal conditions match) to be included where you have to declare when you choose inside that 100 overs and then leave yourself enough time to bowl out the opposition or they can try and out last you for a draw.

So in essence "YOU" the player and your teamates will be deciding your cricket future not the board.
If you want to be heard talk to your committee they will be the one casting a vote on your behalf which is the only way of doing it short of sending out a ballot paper to every registered player in the comp (could be a possibility).
Stop blaming the board and do something for yourself if you believe strongly in 2 day cricket or 1 day cricket make sure your committee hear your thoughts.
The problem with this is as we all know that a lot of clubs committees and there voting and opinions are made up of a very small demographic of their playing group....generally the top 4 in their A grade side .....Rarely do clubs committees ask the 3rd grade number 11 or the 2nd grade wicket keeper what they really think?
An example of this was how the knights of the round table (a select group of mainly elite cricketers from provincial) convened a meeting the other night that was based on the premise of saving 2 day cricket, from all accounts they sat around and spitballed all the reasons why 1 day cricket is the devil and didn't touch on any of the positives and decided to go back to their respective clubs and send a letter to the league with there "solutions"?
Here's a novel thought what if we don't need or want you to save 2 day cricket? Why not let the process take its due course and let "ALL" the players decide through a majority vote of clubs what "WE" want to do.
The thing that sickens me the most now with all this is that these guys are going to prance around town now telling everyone how they saved 2 day cricket and showed the league and blah blah blah, when the truth is A Provincial was never going to be anything other than 2 day cricket anyway? Have a think how St Pats, Wodonga, North, Lavi, Tallangatta, East Albury and Albury Would Vote they are not going to vote to get rid of 2 day cricket......people might wonder why I have included Albury, they didnt win a one dayer last year and won 3 two dayers and come close in another 3 it is in their best interests to play 2 day cricket.

In regards to 2 day vs 1 day argument in my opinion there are a lot of Advantages that no one has talked about yet.

1. No weather issues (play week 1 wash out week 2)

2. No dodgy week 2 wickets

3. No week 1 week 2 players

4. Kids (and everyone else) get 20 bats a season instead of 10

5. Kids would get to bowl shorter spells and more of them eg 20 x 10 over spells instead of 10 x 15 overs spells

6. We get a more realistic even ladder at the end of the year as you play everyone twice you get to bowl at your favourite batsmen twice a year and vice versa if we play 2 day cricket and you get washed out against the same side 2 years in a row (this has happened) you might not play against someone for 3 years.

7. Some people would see not having to field for a whole day overs as an advantage.

8. A lot have people have talked about participation for kids etc if we play 2 day cricket you can theoretically use 2 bowlers (40 overs each) ....don't laugh it has nearly happened before so the other 9 just field every second week whereas with 50 over cricket you nearly always use 6 bowlers or vice versa the poor old non bat who is usually the same bloke gets to watch everyone bat every second week while he plays with his iPod where if you were playing one day cricket you might just play 11 or let them have a bash at the end. This gets back to my point that the big supporters of 2 day cricket are usually top level cricketers who bat and bowl.

9. This one is my favourite ....capatain's might have to actually use their brains if we played 100 over one day pennant cricket they would have to decide when to attack, when to defend, when they have enough runs to declare but still leave themselves enough time to bowl the opposition out.
No more bowling 3 foot outside off for 80 overs with a 8-1 field and restricting a side to 5/200.
Imagine the excitement it would add back into the game, close finishes, when is the opposition going to declare, wicket taking deliveries from bowlers, bouncers, yorkers, slower balls... not powders puffs outside off or offspinners bowling 10 overs of darts for 20 runs.

10. The argument that we have played 2 day cricket for a hundered years so we should keep playing it is getting bland the english club comps have been playing 100 over pennant cricket for 200 years and as much as i hate to say it its not treating them to badly at the moment.

Its food for thought and there is a case for both sides.

I hope our clubs represent what the players really think?.... make sure you are heard!!

Basically all the clubs were given options around the formats of play, 2 day, 1 day ect. As well as start dates and times. It's up to each club to decide what they want to play, majority will win, simple as that. My feeling was that 2 day cricket will stay for both provincial and district

So what ended up happening at the meeting last night????
Did Bring Back The Cat get on the board? He should of after this previous post.:eek:
Did the Toe Ball and the other 'legends' of the association get on board to run the comp for the 8 'elite' teams, rather than all 19 senior clubs between both comps? It seems only the old ABCA clubs/players are having a whinge about this, did any of the district clubs/players sook about an uneven draw last year? I don't think so, the District is simply an afterthought these days:(

Did the Toe Ball and the other 'legends' of the association get on board to run the comp for the 8 'elite' teams, rather than all 19 senior clubs between both comps? It seems only the old ABCA clubs/players are having a whinge about this, did any of the district clubs/players sook about an uneven draw last year? I don't think so, the District is simply an afterthought these days:(

Maybe the district clubs should have had a sook last year about an uneven draw. It is human nature to assume that if nobody complains, then nobody has a problem.

Well it's heating up with the divide getting even bigger between Prov's and District club. I agree with the huge effort above and in the end the clubs in each divison should have a say. But in the end CAW can approve it or not. I like the idea of 50 over games but you would have to start bloody early and some guys do work weekends..

So who's been shopping ??
Heard North are struggling to get players?
Heard Drew Cameron landed on Belvoirs steps so thats a bonus.
Raiders will do ok.
Dederang to land a few players .
Nah just kidding North have a few surpises . Maybe they should ask Aker and Gram to play?

Well it's heating up with the divide getting even bigger between Prov's and District club. I agree with the huge effort above and in the end the clubs in each divison should have a say. But in the end CAW can approve it or not. I like the idea of 50 over games but you would have to start bloody early and some guys do work weekends..

So who's been shopping ??
Heard North are struggling to get players?
Heard Drew Cameron landed on Belvoirs steps so thats a bonus.
Raiders will do ok.
Dederang to land a few players .
Nah just kidding North have a few surpises . Maybe they should ask Aker and Gram to play?

After seeing Aker play during the Charity Big Bash last season. I don't think too many cricket clubs would be rushing to get his signature :)

After seeing Aker play during the Charity Big Bash last season. I don't think too many cricket clubs would be rushing to get his signature :)
Oh well it was worth a shot.
I heard that a Wodonga club has signed a pom for this summer !!!
Also just wondering what will happen to Tallangatta when Lade and Woodsy retire for good? If they don't get imports what do they have left? Also heard they may end up in district soon and that make a town comp and bush comp.
Howlong have picked a huge unit who can smash a ball.
Lavi very quiet at the moment who's gunna land at the Pantherdome!!

Back