Cricket coaching mats - opinions please

It depends on your point of view and how you coach. Foot movement is key and many younger players either have poor or non-existent footwork. These mats provide an easy way to demonstrate where the feet should go - pretty much everything is marked out. However, if you know what you're doing then you can replicate the mat with ease. As I said, a batting tee and some chalk should be all you need.

Look at them as being a time saving device or something for the novice rather than a gimmick.

To further add to the above, it is more the concept of coaching with a stationary ball than the may itself which is of value. However, you then have to understand how best to build the shot from there, so that players eventually face a moving ball.

Thanks, do you know where I can get the taller tee's for hook/pull shot? All I can seem to find are the lower ones - perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places:confused:

Hello
just to let you know what people who actually use them think
Gimmick !!!!!!!!!
Dave

New Testimonials Received since Jan 1st 2010
I love the coaching mat. It's simply the best batting coaching aid I have ever used
Kevin Brown Gotham CC Notts
The mats are fantastic and I use them for both club indoor and outdoor sessions and for the North Lincolnshire District U12 winter sessions
Paul Cowling Normanby Park CC Lincs,
The mat has been a great help. Kids love it and you can see an almost instant improvement
Bruce Pinkerton Essex
The mat was a success and I used it all last summer in a “batting zone” for the colts. I am also lending out to certain parents over winter and will use with u9’s in winter nets.
Kevin Rolfe Herts
I have found it very useful for both my children (11 and 8), and have also used it for sessions at our club with the Under 11s
Paul Warren
The mat has been excellent and Sam has developed a very good understanding of the principles underlying shot selection and the technique required to control each stroke
John Whitehead Glos
We have two mats at the club and both get well used. The kids love it and use in game situations to develop match play skills
Owen Newton Blandford CC
My son is so pleased and keeps talking about it in school
C Christer
We think our two coaching mats are great and we use them all the time.
John Calcutt Newdigate CC Surrey

We have found them very useful, particularly during the indoor coaching.
John Farmer Staffs
It’s being well used especially with the younger children
Dave Scott Alnwick CC
....In the 3 seasons I have had one of your mats I can only say I have been delighted with it, and have drilled techniques with cricketers from age 9 up to 49., yes It certainly does the trick.
Mark Caldwell Ashcott and Shapwick cricket club, Somerset
The coaching mat is great - and is a fantastic aid for the indoor nets.

Phil Frost Gilmortin CC Leics

“ We have now been using the cricket coaching mats within our normal club colts evening, our winter indoor training & winter schools programme for over a year & have found an instant improvement to the development of our young players game techniques, so good we have bought some more!!” Peter Cook, Ickenham Cricket Club
The coaching mat is an excellent product. Hats-off to your innovation. I will definitely recommend it to other people
Manjunath Udupa India
Ian Douglas Youth coach [level II] Huish and Langport C.C. Somerset writes

“When I first got the cricket coaching mats from you the club had one U13's team and I was planning to start an U11 and U14's team during that season. I felt that the coaching mats would be of particular benefit to the then new U11's and so it proved.

This season, I will be running two brand new squads of U11's, two U13's teams, U14's, U15's, a girls U15's team and a new U16's side. The mats will be busy!

I found the mats to be particularly useful with the younger age group and with the girls. It is far more useful to have a youngster use a mat where he/she can groove a skill rather than throw downs in a net.

Traditional net practice is useless unless the bowlers are skilled and disciplined enough to put the ball consistently in the right areas and until batters have the shot skills and the instincts to play them. Your coaching mats provide a perfect calm environment to teach the skill but retain the satisfaction for the kids of successfully being able to hit a ball into a target area. I have also used them with some adults to groove technical shot improvements and they work just as well!

Your mats are one of the cornerstones around which I build many of my coaching sessions.“

Wall of badly formatted text, probably copy and pasted from somewhere

If you could provide some more information on good ways to use it , and some innovative ideas etc, rather than sounding like a robot... you might have a bit more luck here! Especially at £100+ a pop, would like a bit more information on how this is any more advanced than, as mas said, a tee and some chalk? Maybe show us some innovative ways of using it?

If you could provide some more information on good ways to use it , and some innovative ideas etc, rather than sounding like a robot... you might have a bit more luck here! Especially at £100+ a pop, would like a bit more information on how this is any more advanced than, as mas said, a tee and some chalk? Maybe show us some innovative ways of using it?
Hi Steve
thanks for the comments
drop me a line at
cooper.david6@sky.com and I will send you some innovative ideas
dave

Back