Cricket Master Tour- Speculative

courtjester

Cricket Master Tour- Speculative

Mas Cambios mentioned this in another thread, imagine a cricket master's tour. It'd draw the crowds, and could perhaps be done for charity. Maybe a short 20/20 tournament every few years. You'd have to get the ol' characters involved!

Australia
Matthew Hayden
Adam Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
David Boon
Darren Lehmann
Dean Jones
Andrew Symonds
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Merv Hughes
Dennis Lillee

England
Graham Gooch
Alec Stewart
Allan Lamb
David Gower
Nasser Hussein
Tony Greig
Jack Russell
Ian Botham
Darren Gough
Andy Caddick
Phil Tufnell

WI
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd
Brian Lara
Gus Logie
Roger Harper
Jeff Dujon
Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding

Maybe the average age of the team has to be at least 45!

Re: Cricket Master Tour- Speculative

similar to the ATP masters tour. I think it would be a great idea, especially when you may have guys playing on the same team but from different generations. eg. Sir Viv and Brian Lara out in the middle together. I would pay any amount of money to see that.

I would love this idea, and have discussed it lightly before.

The only problem is ironically the age.

If those teams were used, then you would have Matthew Hayden facing Joel Garner. Seems a good match up to start with, until you notice that Garner is 57. Hayden has just come off two blinding seasons in the IPL, and Garner can't even bowl pace in the beach cricket anymore.

It's a great idea, but the ages would have to be refined and a lot of them wouldn't play. I doubt Greig would step out onto the field as a player again, and the same with some others.

Even though it's just for fun and all, they are (or were) competitive players and having someone like Gillespie bowling to Viv Richards with the possible reaction speed of a drugged up snail. He might start bowling slow to begin with, but if he can't get a wicket that speed is going up.

Not quite sure how it would go.

I think it's telling that the two sports with the most prominent masters tours are golf and tennis. They're both games that are relatively low impact and plenty of people play them well into old age.

Cricket's not like that. Plenty of bowlers in particular have completely destroyed their bodies by the time they retire. Batsmen can obviously play on for longer, but even then there's a limit.

I don't really see it working, to be honest. Beach cricket works because it's pretty low impact. Most of those guys couldn't cope with proper cricket these days - even at a reduced, 'senior' level.

I guess if you were to ask around as many 'veterans' as possible then sooner or later some would say yes. Those that say yes would be fit enough for a game one would think and that would work to some level.

I would speculate that for Australia players like the Waugh brothers would still be in some shape to still play, and there are the younger guys like Hayden, McGrath, Gilchrist, Warne, Martyn, Langer, Gillespie and so on that would still be viable to play. I'm assuming that other countries have that same sort of pool of recent retirees to choose from.

Dennis Lillee can hardly walk playing with hayden symonds, lehmann and gillespie is a bit out of reach so beach cricket is the best way to go. The only way to get the old blokes is to have a bowling machine and just bat because its easier. Then that defeats the purpose.

Imagine the intense fielding of a T20 with 60 year olds.

brickwaller99;398344 said:
Dennis Lillee can hardly walk playing with hayden symonds, lehmann and gillespie is a bit out of reach so beach cricket is the best way to go. The only way to get the old blokes is to have a bowling machine and just bat because its easier. Then that defeats the purpose.

Imagine the intense fielding of a T20 with 60 year olds.

Perhaps it would be for guys in their late 30s/40s who still have the desire, but perhaps not the body to cope with year round cricket.

Back