Cricket: Training for Speed-Strength

micoach

Cricket: Training for Speed-Strength

A while back I asked sports performance brainbox Eric Cressy for his views on training for cricket. here is what he said:

http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/2007/05/cricket-training-for-speed-strength.html

My suggestion is to do what it takes to be fast and powerful - and let the duration of the matches just fall into place. Attend to nutrition/hydration and recovery protocols well, and the physical qualities you've built will sustain themselves in spite of the duration of the match. And, if you're crazy athletic, chances are that you'll win those matches a lot sooner.

Thoughts?

Re: Cricket: Training for Speed-Strength

It's interesting to see his comparison with baseball, and whilst I agree with cricket being a mostly anaerobic sport in terms of fielding and batting, its a little different for bowling.

However, I think the message to do what ever it takes to be fast and powerful is a useful one, especially for pace bowlers (and fielders). Something, somewhere, tells me that a lot of pace bowlers would benefit from working with sprint coaches to work on the explosive dynamic power needed.

I don't see how cricket can be compared to baseball. In cricket your batting for hours not going out having 1 swing then doing this a couple of times a match. I dont think there is a massive need to be fast or powerful to be honest, unless being a bowler.. But With cricket its crucial to use Skill Related Fitness: ABC PRS (Agility, Balance, Co-ordination, Power, Reaction Time and Speed). You Could argue you need all of them , but id say its most important to work on Co-ordination and Reaction time as a batsman and Power and Speed as a bowler. And in the Field Balance and Agility. It shows how cricket is such a allround sport and that it is nearly impossible to perfect every area of it.

That Eric guy is awesome! You should do some videos as well David, show us how to bench press lol.

Timed Out said:
I don't see how cricket can be compared to baseball. In cricket your batting for hours not going out having 1 swing then doing this a couple of times a match. I dont think there is a massive need to be fast or powerful to be honest, unless being a bowler.. But With cricket its crucial to use Skill Related Fitness: ABC PRS (Agility, Balance, Co-ordination, Power, Reaction Time and Speed). You Could argue you need all of them , but id say its most important to work on Co-ordination and Reaction time as a batsman and Power and Speed as a bowler. And in the Field Balance and Agility. It shows how cricket is such a allround sport and that it is nearly impossible to perfect every area of it.

I agree that cricket requires more endurance and less all out power. Although I would temper that by saying speed and power is important to cricket batters too.

Running speed for running quick singles or adding another run, arm speed for a fast downswing. Power is a combination of strength and speed so if you train power you train speed as a result.

Back