Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Re: Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Round 8 - Saturday 5th & 12th June
Tracy Village v BYE
Darwin v PINT - Kahlin Oval
Palmerston v Southern Districts - Woodroffe Oval
Waratah v Nightcliff - Gardens Oval

Darwin are in a must win match against PINT at home to keep their season alive. PINT strength is with their batting while Darwin have been inconsistent in all departments. 350+ will take some chasing but is more than gettable and should be the minimum target for either side. Could go either way.

Palmerston have lost skipper Ashley Williams due to work commitments which means Darcy Short is likely to take over the captaincy. Palmerston should still win against an improving Districts though a lot will come down to Short making runs.

A depleted Waratah take on the Tigers in what will be a one sided affair. While Green is back in along with possibly Lawrence. Can't see it being anything but a run feast for Nightcliff with a possible outright opportunity depending on who bats first.

Tracy Village v BYE
Darwin 172 v PINT 125 & 0 for 1- Kahlin Oval
Palmerston 3 for 83 v Southern Districts 190 - Woodroffe Oval
Waratah 148 v Nightcliff 5 for 139 - Gardens Oval

Return of 'Feast of Cricket' | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

The New Zealand Black Caps, as well as South Australia and Tasmania, and Indian state side Maharashtra will be in the Top End from July 26-August 13.

NT Strike will play three OD Matches and a T20 against Maharashtra.

Correction to your stats. Whilst Cooper, Herd and Lycett all have 11 wickets so far, Greg Morgan has been recovering from a shoulder injury, has bowled lightly and only taken two wickets so far. The best is yet to come from Morgs.

OhMyGodTheChips;401062 said:
Round 7 - Saturday 29th May
Darwin v BYE
Waratah 5 for 188 defeated by PINT 7 for 326 - Gardens Oval - Won on superior run-rate, match washed out
Nightcliff 203 defeated by Palmerston 2 for 204- Marrara
Tracy Village 6 for 184 defeated Southern Districts 183 - Tracy Village Oval

The one day matches have now been all completed, the ladder should look a little something like this;

Ladder
1. Palmerston - 5W - 1L
2. Nightcliff - 4W - 1L
3. Tracy Village - 4W - 2L
4. PINT - 3W - 2L - 1D
5. Darwin - 2W - 4L
6 Southern Districts 1W - 4L - 1D
7. Waratah - 1W - 5L

Top 3 Bowlers/Batsman - Approximates
1. Cachopa (TV) - 370 runs
2. Short (Palm) - 320 runs
3. Gardiner (Tahs) - 300 runs

1. Pemble (SD) - 14 wickets
2. Dolman (Darwin), Lycett, Herd, Morgan, & Copper (TV), Hatton (NC) - 11 Wickets

Mid-Season Review;

Palmerston are all but guaranteed a two day finals after finishing top of the table in the OD Comp. Darcy Short and Ashley Williams have been leading the way with the bat, while their all-round effort with the ball has cemented them as true contenders. Have struggled in previous years maintaining their form into the second half of the season. Should hold onto top spot; 1st.

Nightcliff have had to scrap for a couple of their wins, in all round team efforts. De Terte has been consistent with the bat, while Hatton, Kenny & Cranmer have provided some inspiration with the ball. Should be particular difficult at home this season. Will finish top 2.

Tracy Village have won their games on the back of strong batting performances, Cachopa doing the damage early, with some late performances by Cooper, Johnstone & McKay. Their bowlers have contributed all equally but will be truly tested once the two day competition begins. Matt Day from TAS is scheduled to fly in by July and rumour still persists that Jeremy Smith will be making a late appearance. If they do, they will be genuine contenders. Should finish at the least in 4th spot.

PINT have been able to win through solid batting efforts, but seriously need their bowling department to step up if they want a shot at the 2010 flag. Hodgson has been consistent but has had no support with the ball, while the batting is slowly piecing it together through Kensey and Lavers. Playing as a team should see them remain in the four but will come down to their first couple of two day matches. 3rd or 4th.

Darwin have been woeful to say the least and are up against it again come the second half of the season. To make to the four, they will need to win at least four two day matches which will prove difficult with an inconsistent batting and bowling line-up. Will be looking for big things from Briggs, Dolman and Brinsley to get their season back on track. Plunkett is out and Ryan will miss at least two games due to other commitments. Will have to seriously have turned a corner as a club to make it from here. 5th.

Southern Districts have shown some fight, but are up against it as well for the remainder of the season. Moffat, Pemble and Harper are the key for them and they could make it difficult for the top four sides. Ken Skewes is a chance for a burst late in the season while captain Richards may miss a few games due to work commitments. Could possibly finish about Darwin but probably won't improve from 6th.

Waratah are in a world of hurt at the moment. With a bowling attack that some would class as an average B grade attack. Ryan Green is back for them, but they still be missing serious depth in all departments. Lawrence won't be back till maybe late June/earlier July and even then that is a maybe. They will need special efforts from their batting to stay in each game. Unlikely to win another match in what looks be a long season for the club as a whole. Spinner Brad Schmulian is set to return end of June.

NT Cricket are looking to work with SACA to have several T20 warm-up matches prior to the Redbacks Champions League bid. New Zealand are also looking at sending a training squad up for some matches late in the season. This well help in assisting NTC in picking a preliminary squad for next years defence of their Australian Country Championship title.

VB Gold One Day Cup Final - Sunday 13th June
Palmerston vs Nightcliff at Marrara

4th eh? See if you change your mind before the finals.....

OhMyGodTheChips;401450 said:
See if you've got any nuts to make a prediction yourself.

Not a problem. Predictions are free, and as so many of us find out every week with footy tips, they're sadly not always accurate. No nuts out here at the Death Star, but stormtroopers have very big balls.

Final to be played between TV and Palm. Anybody can win once you're in the final, but would you tip against TVCC in the big one?

Nightcliff and PINT to squabble over third and fourth.

The bottom three might move around a little, but none of them will threaten the four. Therefore I predict: TV, Palm, NC, PINT, DAR, Tahs, SD. Could be an expensive - and VERY disappointing - year for some clubs if they don't win the big one...

Cachopa to win the batting, and Coops will go close in the bowling.

You might suspect a little bias in this prediction, (and you'd be right), but I wouldn't put it in writing unless I believed this will happen. Now we can all sit back and watch the season unfold.

Could be an expensive - and VERY disappointing - year for some clubs if they don't win the big one...[/QUOTE said:
Predictions are free, hope springs eternal, a stitch in time saves nine and Evil is NOT a dirty word.

Not Winning the big one for all clubs should be disappointing. NCC have cashed in $2,000 already winning the T20 final and will cash in again Sunday in the One Day Final. I guess 2 finals already this year is not a bad start to the year. So expensive?? I doubt it, maybe at the Death Star if not making finals is a KPI. I know that's a fancy acronym coaches like to throw around.

TV Dinners will be harder to hold out than swine flu in a Mexican crèche, but in my humble opinion the Tigers, who have already been fighting for more silverware than a Baghdad looter in 2010, have the depth and class throughout the side to make it to the Big One.

Winning the finals is the most important thing but also leading the club championship half way through the season is quite rewarding. So maintaining that will be a great challenge and one we all look forward to.

Hopefully a home final and the Tigers will be better suited playing at the Den (where the outfield lawnmower does work!). Palmy and PINTS are the main dangers.

I guess Cachopa looking at missing 2 possibly 3 games due to the emerging players tournament in July-Aug may not be ideal for TV so with the bye in the current round and he will possibly play 1 or 2 before he goes. Will he come back??

But wouldn’t it be pretty ironic if the difference between the Tigers and TV by the 2010 season’s end was the Tigers glistening new SACA recruit?

Haha love the banter... Do you know something young Chopsie doesn't, as he is playing all games for the remainder of the season for TVCC, including finals!!!

I think the comp is wide open, with 4 teams on current form able to win the flag. But 2 day cricket is a different game and all it will take is one team to build the momentum and "click" coming into finals to win the title. Should be very interesting over the next 2 months to see how the ladder pans out...

Turk;401470 said:
Haha love the banter... Do you know something young Chopsie doesn't, as he is playing all games for the remainder of the season for TVCC, including finals!!!

I think the comp is wide open, with 4 teams on current form able to win the flag. But 2 day cricket is a different game and all it will take is one team to build the momentum and "click" coming into finals to win the title. Should be very interesting over the next 2 months to see how the ladder pans out...

Agree with the side that clicks at the right time will win the title.

Chopsie being the Skipper of the U19's NZ side, I would have thought he would have been first pick in the emerging players comp to be played in Aus later this year(during our season) I Know Bracewell is waiting to hear if he gets picked. So not sure why he wouldn't know about this tourney, unless he has opted to play for TV instead of his "Country".

acek00;401513 said:
Agree with the side that clicks at the right time will win the title.

Chopsie being the Skipper of the U19's NZ side, I would have thought he would have been first pick in the emerging players comp to be played in Aus later this year(during our season) I Know Bracewell is waiting to hear if he gets picked. So not sure why he wouldn't know about this tourney, unless he has opted to play for TV instead of his "Country".

Playing for TV is much more important than playing for NZ. But fingers crossed Dougie gets a spot hey haha....

acek00;401454 said:
Predictions are free, hope springs eternal, a stitch in time saves nine and Evil is NOT a dirty word.

Not Winning the big one for all clubs should be disappointing. NCC have cashed in $2,000 already winning the T20 final and will cash in again Sunday in the One Day Final. I guess 2 finals already this year is not a bad start to the year. So expensive?? I doubt it, maybe at the Death Star if not making finals is a KPI. I know that's a fancy acronym coaches like to throw around.

TV Dinners will be harder to hold out than swine flu in a Mexican crèche, but in my humble opinion the Tigers, who have already been fighting for more silverware than a Baghdad looter in 2010, have the depth and class throughout the side to make it to the Big One.

Winning the finals is the most important thing but also leading the club championship half way through the season is quite rewarding. So maintaining that will be a great challenge and one we all look forward to.

Hopefully a home final and the Tigers will be better suited playing at the Den (where the outfield lawnmower does work!). Palmy and PINTS are the main dangers.

I guess Cachopa looking at missing 2 possibly 3 games due to the emerging players tournament in July-Aug may not be ideal for TV so with the bye in the current round and he will possibly play 1 or 2 before he goes. Will he come back??

But wouldn’t it be pretty ironic if the difference between the Tigers and TV by the 2010 season’s end was the Tigers glistening new SACA recruit?

You know Pup - he's not that into fancy acronyms! We treat the finals as more of a tradition at the Village, not a KPI!

And I'm not sure how leading the club championship at the HALFWAY mark is "quite rewarding". You don't barrack for Collingwood do you? It's the end of the season that matters, but I guess if we shared your history we'd get pretty excited about leading at any old time too.

Glad to hear about your outfield and shiny mower. Any chance you might start work on the wicket now? Then maybe some decent rooms?

All this talk of "home finals", and "two down, one to go" is awesome for the other clubs. Keep it up June Premiers - we'll see you in September!

Turk is right - playing for TV is more important than playing fror NZ, and Chopsie is going nowhere. Matt Day is on the way too, and here just in time for the PINT and NC clashes.

By the way, if the result does come down to the SACA recruit and NC happen to win, (as they are sure they will), then we won't be concerned at all. Cranmer was the one guy we would have chosen, but the luck of the draw meant he went before we had the chance. We would never have been able to get him anyway, so no problems here and we'll stick to the recruits we've sourced ourselves.:cool:

It's interesting to read that with all these recruits either on there way to the "death star" or going nowhere and definitely sticking around till finals etc etc, I wonder where all the room for all the "local juniors" is we were promised.

I'm pretty sure club officials were sprooking to anyone that would care to listen that the sole reason for reneging on the SACA draft was to give their local juniors an opportunity. There seems to be a mixed message coming out of the "death star".

Perhaps the requirement to suitably accomdate the SACA boys was the real disinsentive? Kiwis seem to not mind sleeping on a couch for a season.

On another point, is there any reason why the outfield at the "Death Star" is so sub-par?

Tracy Village v BYE
Darwin 172 & 5 for 130 defeated PINT 125 & 3 for 273 dec- Kahlin Oval
Palmerston 236 defeated Southern Districts 190 & 152 - Woodroffe Oval
Waratah 148 & 176 defeated outright by Nightcliff 7 for 362 - Gardens Oval

VB Gold One Day Cup Final - Sunday 13th June
Palmerston 181 defeated by Nightcliff 8 for 222 at Marrara

msbotswana;401726 said:
It's interesting to read that with all these recruits either on there way to the "death star" or going nowhere and definitely sticking around till finals etc etc, I wonder where all the room for all the "local juniors" is we were promised.

I'm pretty sure club officials were sprooking to anyone that would care to listen that the sole reason for reneging on the SACA draft was to give their local juniors an opportunity. There seems to be a mixed message coming out of the "death star".

It was self righteous jibba jabba. The only team that can claim a successful junior to senior system is Palmerston (I'm talking A grade), the rest have been moderate at best which can also be attributed to Darwin's transient population.

Perhaps the requirement to suitably accomdate the SACA boys was the real disinsentive? Kiwis seem to not mind sleeping on a couch for a season.

A funnier thing would be hitting a former player up for rent at a property that he never resided before allowing him clearance to another club.

On another point, is there any reason why the outfield at the "Death Star" is so sub-par?

Because they water it too much, then when it rains, they keep watering it. Same thing happens at Kahlin with the council leaving the sprinkler system on even though there has already been a couple of inches of rain.

Darth Vadar;401719 said:
You know Pup - he's not that into fancy acronyms!

Pup might not be great with the acronyms, but he sure has an opinion about the hattons and another long time NCC player, who, and you can let pup in on this if you wish, bowls off-spin.

Darth Vadar;401719 said:
Glad to hear about your outfield and shiny mower. Any chance you might start work on the wicket now? Then maybe some decent rooms?

On behalf of the Nightcliff Cricket Club, I would like to apologise for the Darwin City Council and their weed control program. Also apologise for always being a family / workings man club and not having a massive amount of money donated by a former member after winning lotto. Also, to note, 357, 276 and 239 last scores at NCC. Must be a terrible batting deck. Oh, and we might have crappy change rooms, which were built by club members themselves in the early 80's, but for a club of your stature, might i remind you that it was not until recently TV managed to actually build your own change rooms! Do not think behind the tree counted for all those years

Darth Vadar;401719 said:
All this talk of "home finals", and "two down, one to go" is awesome for the other clubs. Keep it up June Premiers - we'll see you in September!

And we will be look forward to it. Just like last year, out in the first week!?!

Darth Vadar;401719 said:
Turk is right - playing for TV is more important than playing fror NZ, and Chopsie is going nowhere.

Your put TVCC in front on NZ Cricket? Jesus, what are you guys handing out under the table if this is the case

And on a positive note, the love hate relationship between NCC and TV is nothing short of great for NT Cricket. You have got to have a similar rivalry to the Collingwood - Essendon / Port - Crows in any league

msbotswana;401726 said:

We're still looking for locals good enough, don't worry about that. Crowey, Gav Lycett, Chris Campbell and Paul Carbone have been going well, and Stu Johnstone, Jas McKay and Shane McDermott are also loyal TVCC lads, but hardly qualify as juniors. That's seven local lads right there. How many in your foreign legion XI this year? Plus the future looks bright with the likes of Jack Pilkington, Amyas Ross, Prabatha DeSilva coming along nicely and the U17's are on top and doing well. Our future plans most definitely lay first and foremost with progressing talented local players and I'm sure most clubs share that view.

For those who seem to have missed the message sent out loud and clear at the time, re the SACA recruits - WE WANTED A BOWLER. Death Star press releases obviously aren't what they used to be if you didn't know that one. Cranmer was our initial choice and Brinsley was next. Unfortunately, they were both snapped up before our selection so we stuck to our plan and got ourselves a bowler. Quite a good one too, as I'm sure you'll find out in a couple of weeks...

Stuff the couch! Kiwi recruit Greg Morgan is living in the lap of luxury in my self contained Granny Flat and even has his meals cooked for him! (Home made Peking Duck and Stuffed chicken wings on Monday...) We look after our own at the Death Star! However he was told recently that he'd be in the long-grass soon if he didn't start taking wickets, so we expect big things from Morgs in the second half of the season!.

On a slightly different note it is good to see Nightcliff enjoying some success after some lean times. We went through some lean years in the early 00's and it's no fun at all. Not many smiles at Gardens Oval this year either.

Darth Vadar;401797 said:
We're still looking for locals good enough, don't worry about that. Crowey, Gav Lycett, Chris Campbell and Paul Carbone have been going well, and Stu Johnstone, Jas McKay and Shane McDermott are also loyal TVCC lads, but hardly qualify as juniors. That's seven local lads right there. How many in your foreign legion XI this year? Plus the future looks bright with the likes of Jack Pilkington, Amyas Ross, Prabatha DeSilva coming along nicely and the U17's are on top and doing well. Our future plans most definitely lay first and foremost with progressing talented local players and I'm sure most clubs share that view.

For those who seem to have missed the message sent out loud and clear at the time, re the SACA recruits - WE WANTED A BOWLER. Death Star press releases obviously aren't what they used to be if you didn't know that one. Cranmer was our initial choice and Brinsley was next. Unfortunately, they were both snapped up before our selection so we stuck to our plan and got ourselves a bowler. Quite a good one too, as I'm sure you'll find out in a couple of weeks...

Stuff the couch! Kiwi recruit Greg Morgan is living in the lap of luxury in my self contained Granny Flat and even has his meals cooked for him! (Home made Peking Duck and Stuffed chicken wings on Monday...) We look after our own at the Death Star! However he was told recently that he'd be in the long-grass soon if he didn't start taking wickets, so we expect big things from Morgs in the second half of the season!.

On a slightly different note it is good to see Nightcliff enjoying some success after some lean times. We went through some lean years in the early 00's and it's no fun at all. Not many smiles at Gardens Oval this year either.

Re the outfield - the grass is actually mowed shorter than it looks, but is very, very lush early in the season. We tried to drop the mower level down one more notch and it was hitting the ground and pulling clumps out.

It has already dried out much more now and the outfield is quite fast today. It even looks shorter, but this is an illusion as it is simply drier and faster.

Now, about those Den wickets...

Bagman;401796 said:
Pup might not be great with the acronyms, but he sure has an opinion about the hattons and another long time NCC player, who, and you can let pup in on this if you wish, bowls off-spin.

On behalf of the Nightcliff Cricket Club, I would like to apologise for the Darwin City Council and their weed control program. Also apologise for always being a family / workings man club and not having a massive amount of money donated by a former member after winning lotto. Also, to note, 357, 276 and 239 last scores at NCC. Must be a terrible batting deck. Oh, and we might have crappy change rooms, which were built by club members themselves in the early 80's, but for a club of your stature, might i remind you that it was not until recently TV managed to actually build your own change rooms! Do not think behind the tree counted for all those years

The tatts winner you refer to is an astute businessman and lovely bloke. He has never donated large sums of money to the club, but is probably the most respected man at the Village owing to the sheer amount of hard work he has done for the club. He has shed more blood, sweat and tears for TVCC than any other and rightfully deserves his Life Membership honour.

The real success of TV is all about a few people following his lead and devoting enormous amounts of time and effort - not money. Who know's what some clubs get from their Social partners, but TVCC do not receive as much "free money" as the grapevine suggests. All our curating is done for free too, mainly by two people and don't forget we run two turf decks every training night. We are family people too, and you are likely to stumble over one of mine running around next time you visit the Death Star.

And we will be look forward to it. Just like last year, out in the first week!?!
Maybe, maybe not. Would you rather play us in the semi's or Final? Wait a minute - you wouldn't want to play us. We beat you last time out didn't we?

Your put TVCC in front on NZ Cricket? Jesus, what are you guys handing out under the table if this is the case
Nothing. He just loves Tracy Village and you will note their is family history there too. Both his brothers, (Brad and Carl), have also played for TVCC so we could almost claim Craig as a local. Craig also played a couple of games for us last year.

And on a positive note, the love hate relationship between NCC and TV is nothing short of great for NT Cricket. You have got to have a similar rivalry to the Collingwood - Essendon / Port - Crows in any league

A little spark in an otherwise dreary NT Cricket landscape... Fun too. Better than fishing with a rod.

Apparently Nightcliff century man Devine is out for the season with an off field injury. Unfortunate if true, considering he would be looking at possible NT selection.

Back