Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Re: Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Darth Vadar;408139 said:
I thought we had the best team we had ever assembled at this club, (I still do). And we were beaten by a better team on the weekend...

I just want to congratulate Darwin for beating us fair and square, and Nightcliff for being the other finalist which is entirely appropriate given your excellent season.

I also want to thank my guys. I bled with them during the year and cried with them last night. They will not be champion team this year, but they are all champion blokes and the reason I'll do it all again for them next year.

B, E, Women's, U17 & U13 are still alive at the Death Star and the spirit is strong. Dented, but strong. Again, congrats to Darwin and NC. That's cricket.

Yes I heard the game was a blockbuster. Well done to Darwin on there win shows anything can happen in Finals. Bad luck to TV clearly the best side in the second half of the year in the two dayers by a mile.

This is my 3rd and last year at the helm with my family and I moving Melbourne soon. Hope to cap it of with a few of wins. Well done to our A B C D and U13's blue side for all making their GF's

So what happened at Space Balls central ? (formerly the Deathstar of whatever you call it).

I hear the champagne was on ice weeks ago... funny game cricket... reminds me of st george and how they had their premiership shirts printed a couple of weeks out from the gf... haha... maybe a few of the tv guys believed their own hype.

I read the paper on Saturday and from memory there was a lot of talk about how Darwin were lucky to even make it, we never make less than 300 etc etc... also heard whispers from tv players bragging out on the town after too many how good it is at tracy cause you know if you dont make any then it doesnt matter cause you know the next bloke will... perhaps over confidence and an inability to take responsibility cost you blokes.

Anyway good luck to both sides this weekend... should be a good battle... I might get down to the gf and get behind the ultimate under dog.

OhMyGodTheChips;407998 said:
Semi-Finals - Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th September
1.20 Tracy Villages vs 5.00 Darwin - Tracy Village Oval
1.95 Nightcliff vs 2.05 PINT - Marrara

So what odds are to be handed out for the final?
Did anyone get a payout on the $5 on offer for Darwin to get up?

Fancy that, the gods have been on Darwins side this month and now in a position to end the season with an A Grade flag!

One of the best games I've been involved in and intense to say the least.

Wednesday night is the D&DCA Presentation, there shouldn't be too many surprises there. Lavers would be favourite to win the Ralph Wiese/Player of the Year with Cachopa just behind him. Pemble/Cranmer/Calkin/Cooper to round out the top six.

Lavers with most runs, Cachopa with average.
Pemble with most wickets/average.
McDermott with most wicket keeping dismissals
Herd fielding votes.

Team of the Year may go something like this;
1. Cranmer - NCC
2. Calkin - NCC
3. *Gardiner - WCC
4. Cachopa - TVCC
5. Lavers - PINTCC
6. +McDermott - TVCC
7. Cooper - TVCC
8. Herd - TVCC
9. Hatton - NCC
10. Pemble - SD
11. Hanna - PCC
12. Briggs - DCC

End of Season review;

Tracy Village
Didn't start great, but picked up the pace as the season progressed and were in full flight going into the two day competition with a complete side. Had the strongest batting line-up and a discipline bowling attack and were rightfully top of the table going into finals. Came down to one bad weekend with the bat to crash out of the finals. Lacked a strong opening pair (as did most sides) and the middle order was left wanting at times.

Finished: 1st
Standouts: Cachopa (bat), Cooper (batting allrounder), Herd (spinner) & Day (bowling all rounder).

Nightcliff
Started strongly, with a slight lull in the middle of the two day matches but have deservedly progressed to the Grand Final, showing great heart after losing key players. Their bowling at the beginning of the season was the stand out along with a good top six. Losing Bracewell, Kuru and De Terte didn't hinder their batting or bowling performances greatly in the last two rounds as Cranmer, Calkin and Hatton picked up the slack while the guys that came up held their own. With One Day & T20 flags under their belt can they be the first team to pick up the triple crown?

Finished: 2nd
Standouts: Cranmer (allrounder), Calkin (bat) Hatton (spinner) & Kuru (bowler)

PINT
PINT stuttered through most of the season and were never really at full strength. Relied heavily on Lavers to resurrect their season as they won 3 of their last 4 to claim 3rd spot. With Mitchell and Brown not available for the majority of the season and Berry not making an entrance till late the in season, their top six was fragile and they had no one to support Hodgson. While they made the finals as per usual, they were lucky to get there.

Finished: 3rd
Standouts: Lavers (bat), Hodgson (bowler) & Shippen (bowler).

Darwin
A poor start to the season and losing players early on had the Eagles looking like they were going to washout by the half way mark of the season. A solid two day performance where they won four of six matches edged them into the four and some luck kept them there after relying on other results. A bowler and a couple of bats short meant they relied heavily on the experienced campaigners. An underdog story in the making after downing TV to make the Grand Final for the first time since 2002.

Finished: 4th
Standouts: Briggs (bat), Brautigam (bowler) & Dolman (bowler).

Palmerston
Started strongly with five wins from six matches but fell off the horse to only win one from their next six. Losing Williams for the two day matches put a major dent in their leadership and batting with internal rumblings beginning to cost the club. Still a young side with plenty of potential but needed more nous to go on with it. Lacked a quality spinner and opening batsman.

Finished: 5th
Standouts: Short (bat) & Hanna (bowler)

Southern Districts
Another tough season for Districts who didn't quite have the depth or experience to get them further up the ladder. With a handy bowling attack that couldn't quite finish off as the close games slipped away. Knocking off Nightcliff was a season high and kept their finals chances in the balance but couldn't get it together for the last few games. Lacked another quick and strong opening pair or middle order bats to assist Moffat.

Finished: 6th
Standouts: Pemble (bowling allrounder) Harper (bowler) & Moffat (bat)

Waratah
The Red Caps fall from grace was swift as they went from Premiers to Wooden Spoon. With no bowling or batting depth, they were always going to struggle but still manage to make most teams earn their points even though they won one game in 12 matches. It will be a tough road ahead for Tahs if they're to remain in the Premier grade.

Finished: 7th
Standouts: Gardiner (bat), Lawrence (bowler) & Borgas (bat)

RWM Odds;
Lavers (PINT) - 3.50
Cachopa (TV) - 3.60
Cranmer (NCC) - 3.60
Pemble (SD) - 20.00
Moffat (SD) - 25.00
Gardiner (WCC) - 100.00
Short (PCC) - 100.00
Calkin (NCC) - 100.00
Cooper (TV) - 100.00
Harper (SD) - 150.00
Briggs (DCC) - 225.00
Flynn (DCC) - 250.00
Hatton (NCC) - 250.00
Kuru (NCC) - 250.00
Herd (TV) - 500.00
Hanna (PCC) - 1000.00
Morgan (TV) - 2000.00
Lycett (TV) - 2000.00
Bracewell (NCC) - 2000.00
Day (TV) - 2000.00
McDermott (TV) - 3000.00
Johnstone (TV) - 5000.00
Any Unlisted Player - 10000.00

Team of the Year;
Cachopa (TV) - 1.05 - Bt
Lavers (PINT) - 1.05 - Bt
Cranmer (NCC) - 1.05 - PAR
Pemble (SD) - 1.05 - PBr
Cooper (TV) - 1.05 - MAR
Calkin (NCC) - 1.10 - Bt Wk
Gardiner (WCC) - 1.10 - Bt
McDermott (TV) - 1.40 - Bt Wk
Moffat (SD) - 1.80 - Bt
Short (PCC) - 2.00 - Bt
Hatton (NCC) - 2.00 - SBr
Hanna (PCC) - 2.00 - MBr
Herd (TV) - 2.00 - SBr
Kuru (NCC) - 2.50 - PBr
Hodgson (PINT) - 3.00 - PBr
Briggs (DCC) - 3.50 - Bt
Lawrence (WCC) - 4.00 - MBr
Harper (SD) - 6.00 - PBr
Flynn (DCC) - 6.00 - Bt
Morgan (TV) - 8.00 - PAR
Brautigam (DCC) - 10.00 - MBr
Day (TV) - 15.00 - PAR
Jensen (PCC) - 15.00 - Bt Wk
Bracewell (NCC) - 26.00 - PAR
Lycett (TV) - 26.00 - MBr
Toner (PCC) - 26.00 - PBr
Meta (DCC) - 51.00 - MBr
Borgas (WCC) - 51.00 - Bt
Johnstone (TV) - 101.00 - Bt
Brown (PINT) - 101.00 - Bt Wk
Shippen (PINT) - 101.00 - MBr
Devine (NCC) - 101.00 - Bt
Schmulian (WCC) - 201.00 - SBr
Any other player - 101.00
*Pays on 11 or 12 players named
Bt - Batsman, Br - Bowler, AR - Allrounder, Wk - Wicket-keeper, P - Pace, S - Spin, M - Medium pace

Batting & Bowling Awards
Lavers with most runs/average. 957 at 105
Pemble with most wickets/average. 43 at 16

No wicket keeper award, assume it goes to Jensen.
Briggs fielding award.

Team of the Year;
1. Crowe - TVCC
2. Calkin - NCC
3. Gardiner - WCC
4. Cachopa - TVCC
5. Lavers - PINTCC
6. Moffat - SDCC
7. Jensen - PCC
8. Cranmer - NCC
9. Hatton - NCC
10. Pemble - SDCC
11. Brautigam - DCC
12. Herd - TVCC

Ralph Wiese Medal;
1. Cachopa
2. Lavers
3. Pembler/Short
5. Gardiner

Player of the Year
Lavers

Minor Premiers
Tracy Village

Curator
Southern Districts

Spirit of Cricket
Palmerston

No real surprises in the results. One could query leaving Cooper out of the TOTY considering they're short on for quicks, while Crowe made it into the side after only having three hits at the top of the order in the regular season. Briggs is as surprised as anyone about getting the fielding award. Fairly quick and quiet night, no key note speakers or anything as such. First one I've been to in awhile, enjoyable though.

OhMyGodTheChips;408370 said:
Fairly quick and quiet night, no key note speakers or anything as such. First one I've been to in awhile, enjoyable though.

Last couple of seasons it has taken up to an hour longer and people end up leaving before the RWM is completed. Half the night is taken up getting dinner.

It appears an appropriate set up for Darwin expectations. The other way they could keep it a similar length but not as rushed as it may appear is to make the night a sit down meal however the cost is likely to keep people away. As I said, appropriate for Darwin expectations.

Premier Grade Grand Final - Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th September
1.68 Nightcliff vs 2.45 Darwin - Marrara Cricket Ground

Likely teams;

Nightcliff
1. Gibson
2. Couzens
3. Tippett
4. Cranmer
5. Calkin
6. MacKenzie
7. Hatton
8. Kenny
9. Needham
10. Subbiah
11. Wheatley

Darwin
1. Burton
2. Peckham
3. Briggs
4. Brinsley
5. Flynn
6. Richardson
7. Jones
8. Brautigam
9. Dolman
10. Meta
11. Ryan

Both teams searching for their first premier grade flags in 10 years or more. With Nightcliff's last coming in 1996 and Darwin's in 2000.

Should be a close game, and could come down to the toss and runs on the board.

A bit of added spice for both teams with both Mark Hatton (NCC) & Greg Brautigam (DCC) set to retire after this season. For one, the final chapter will be a sweet one! Congrats to both guys for long and successful stints in Darwin premier grade cricket.

msbotswana;408144 said:
So what happened at Space Balls central ? (formerly the Deathstar of whatever you call it).

I hear the champagne was on ice weeks ago... funny game cricket... reminds me of st george and how they had their premiership shirts printed a couple of weeks out from the gf... haha... maybe a few of the tv guys believed their own hype.

I read the paper on Saturday and from memory there was a lot of talk about how Darwin were lucky to even make it, we never make less than 300 etc etc... also heard whispers from tv players bragging out on the town after too many how good it is at tracy cause you know if you dont make any then it doesnt matter cause you know the next bloke will... perhaps over confidence and an inability to take responsibility cost you blokes.

Anyway good luck to both sides this weekend... should be a good battle... I might get down to the gf and get behind the ultimate under dog.

Wow!!!! for the first time in quite a while here we had sportsmanship, graciousness in defeat, being humble in victory and then this idiotic drivel. 'You read?' (impressive in its own right for you I'm sure) - far be it from the NT news to extend a little creative licence - but go ahead, you hold them to gospel.

'Champagne' - I doubt any team could have claimed that level of confidence 'weeks ago' with 5 teams all genuine premiership contenders. I think you heard wrong.

'Darwin were lucky to make it' I doubt anybody would refute that. Luck, weather, an umpires decision - its all a part of the game and I cant recall anybody begrudging Darwin for scoring a bit of luck other players / teams / clubs also had luck in various aspects - I believe the quote from this site runs similar to "Darwin were the best team on the day" (the afore mentioned sportsmanship and graciousness) distances itself from the 'luck' you mention. Lucky or not, Darwin took the opportunity presented to them, thats been acknowledged and well done to them.

'tv lads bragging after some drinks' - oh my god. how dare they. the nerve of them having 5 games of success, some very hard fought. Incomprehensible that an air of confidence envelopes them - no one is entitled to that, and then to cap off that indignity by having a night out and talking themselves up a bit whilst getting a load on - unheard of, no one EVER toots their own horn when hammered - shame shame shame.

I agree my reply is a touch long, perhaps even long winded, but your short sightedness warranted nothing less. The few strings prior to yours - that showed good sportsmanship and the like, should be the norm for this blog. as should constructive discussion, intelligent updates and so forth - not the tripe here which would inevitably discourage anyone from wanting to come near our competition. That being said, congrats too all our finalists and best of luck to you for this coming weekend.

OhMyGodTheChips;408429 said:
1.68 Nightcliff vs 2.45 Darwin - Marrara Cricket Ground

Likely teams;

Nightcliff
1. Gibson
2. Couzens
3. Tippett
4. Cranmer
5. Calkin
6. MacKenzie
7. Hatton
8. Kenny
9. Needham
10. Subbiah
11. Wheatley

Close Jack, Subbiah out, Devine in.
See Darwin have also named young pisel. Bowled well last week.

Good luck to all finalist.

Bagman;408449 said:
Close Jack, Subbiah out, Devine in.

I was wondering how teams could be named on this site before the players were even informed. ;)

Guido;408492 said:
I was wondering how teams could be named on this site before the players were even informed. ;)

Its a Spaceballs thing - (see earlier dig at TV). the movie states that thanks to modern technology, the end can be known before it even happens. great stuff huh?

Nightcliff 3 for 33 vs Darwin 166 - Marrara Cricket Ground

Very slow day, Darwin never got going. Early wickets of Calkin and Cranmer will be the deciding factor.

OhMyGodTheChips;408626 said:
Nightcliff 3 for 33 vs Darwin 166 - Marrara Cricket Ground

Very slow day, Darwin never got going. Early wickets of Calkin and Cranmer will be the deciding factor.

Troy Ryan will take 6, Darwin to win by 17 runs! Cliff-hanger.. What are the odds?

Nightcliff 4 for 167 defeated Darwin 166 - Marrara Cricket Ground

Calkin 80 odd not out was the stand out. Will edit this later.

Tracy Village beat Nightcliff for B grade, University defeated Nightcliff in C grade, Nightcliff beat Palmo Maroon for D grade and Tracy Village defeat PINT Demons in E grade. E grade final was a cracker - last ball, last wicket, scores tied at the end. Sthn Districts Beat Tracy Village in the Womens. Congrats to all winners and well done to all finalists.

Back