Darwin & District Cricket - 2012

First NT Strike game against Nepal U19 is on this Sunday from 10am at MCG 1. Team as follows;

1. Gardiner (c)
2. Berry (vc)
3. Gibson
4. Calkin
5. Bell
6. Clarence
7. Giarola
8. Wilson
9. Weerasinghe
10. Flynn
11. Ryan
12. Campbell
13. Arbon

It's coming to the business end of the season people and now is the time to watch who the real teams are. Palmy and Tahs having what many predict to be the Grand Final face off. Darwin and Tracey playing in a big match that could well determine the make up of the top 4. If Darwin win they pretty much wrap up 3rd spot and knock Tracey out. If the Villagers can find that long lost spirit then they make things tough for PINTS. Speaking of the Greens, they face the resurgent Crocs - who said a coach would have no influence on the team. It's just taken The King a little while to work his magic this year.

I will throw this into the ring for the finals race - which teams are going to be at full strength???? Are the imports going to stick around till the end???

Word has it that Cockley has already left tahs and their big contracted gun Sam Miller would surely be required on deck if he is serious about cracking a state spot. Darwin lose Giarola, Doolan and question marks hover around the Kiwi quick Mathieson. PINT have question marks hanging around Clarence and Tracey may have to forfeit if their VISA's run out before the end of September. The crocs are losing most of their decent players and Nightcliff have struggled most of the year. That leaves Palmy as the team to beat - full of locals, confidence and the star recruit from Village (I hope his Friday night endeavours don't infect the rest of the team).

Anyone care to go out on a limb and make grand final predictions?????????

Cockley is gone. Taylor is likely to stay for Tahs, doubt Miller will be come September. There aren't any question marks around Mathieson, we're looking at an end of season trip to Thailand. Giarola's last game is Sunday and while Doolan is a TBC come September regarding a GF appearance should we get that far.

Tracy Village have lost Keen, Pollard leaves after this round, which means the captaincy will change again for the Villagers. Their third grade has forfeited twice already this season, Tahs have apparently forfeited this weekend in thirds too. Think PINT have Hodgson and Mitchell back now, not sure regarding Clarence but the SA season doesn't start till the first weekend in October, so one would think it would be a none issue. Nightcliff season is over, Districts season is dead.

No doubt Palmerston are the form team and ones to beat at this stage of the season but they lose Williams (apparently fly back for the GF) and Crowe (work) after this round. Joe Carter is out for the OD GF with NZ U19 commitments, while several players from both sides will have be playing their their third match in three or four days. Don't see how you can say Crowe is a star recruit considering he is originally from Palmerston.

Hopefully the OD Final goes the distance Sunday, anything less than 250 will make it pretty hard to defend.

Darwin win the OD flag to go back to back. While in the two day stuff, Palmerston are chasing 300 against Tahs, TV need 351 to beat Darwin and PINT need 220 against Districts.

Ladder is something like this;

1. Palmerston 96
2. Waratah 83
3. Darwin 75
4. PINT 65
-------------------
5. Tracy Village 57
6. Nightcliff 45
7. Southern Districts 36

Palmerston have the bye this round and then Tahs in the last. Tahs play Village and with an outright could go top if Palmerston lose the last round. Darwin could also finish any where from 1st to 4th but would more than likely remain in the same position. PINT have Nightcliff this week and are also capable of securing an outright and pushing themselves into 2nd/3rd.

PINT are the dark horse for the flag with plenty of runs coming from Berry and Lavers and back to full strength with their bowling attack. Apparently Sam Miller has left or is leaving after this round along with another recruit or two at Tahs, meaning that their bowling stocks have been shot to pieces. Wouldn't be surpised if TV kept their finals hopes alive by knocking them over. Southern Districts and Nightcliff have the potential to cause upsets but from my point of view, the top 4 is pretty set.

Some serious runs scored this weekend again with PINT (1 for 300) hammering the Tigers (68), Berry and Clarence with big hundreds after rolling Nightcliff at home. Darwin posted 468 with Pisel and Burton tons against Districts and Waratah need a further 80 odd runs only 2 down to beat TV.

Considering both those clubs you've mentioned have already got that many imports each, the suggestion wouldn't be to recruit more but to recruit better, maybe they should also look at poaching players as well.

SD have 9 imports? Wow SD have strong juniors and doesnt look like many old heads around so surly there just a powerhose waiting to happen??? is the any people there atm who they can build on?

SD had 5 locals playing on the weekend, but went through a few imports this year. There is a lack of quality locals in the club at the moment, something that needs to change. Think they left their run for players this year too late.
Lots of handy juniors out there already playing seniors. Biggest problem out there is retaining juniors as they have a tendency to move into town etc away from the club.

Import team of the last few years

1. B. Casson
2. M. Hill
3. E. Cowan
4. T. Paine
5. G. Manou
6. G. Mail
7. X. Doherty
8. D. Bracewell
9. W Sheridan
10. T Kelly
11. B Cockfield

Feel free to help me out with any others or challenge who I have here. I'm more interested in only playing players in my team that have 1st class or higher experience

moffit chopra must make it as they have been more then one game or one season wonders both been here twice and dominated i think cockfield is ment to be cockley????

Do you still classify Berry and Lavers as imports or are they locals? I'd say anyone that is playing their 3rd or more season can be considered a local player but then if a person has moved here as well before this time period, are they a local or an import in that context?

Berry and Lavers definietely counted as locals. They have been associated with their clubs for a long period of time. I also count them as locals because they have given back to their club and also Darwin cricket in some way instead of just taking and then leaving.

I thank you for the correction on Cockley.

As for Moffat - I said that I was only interested in players that have a first class pedigree. Yes, he has played 1st class cricket but his average of 15 precludes him from my squad. As for Chopra, his 3 matches played at an average of 37 makes him unlucky. The other thing, I get confused with all those bloody brothers and who did what up here!!!

I have room in my 12, maybe we can compromise and slip him in. If anyone else has a suggestion for a batter I am more than willing to listen?????

Well you're also forgetting Shane Bond, Matthew Sinclair, Brendon McCullum, Mick Miller? and whatever else Kiwi first class/test players that have been up here such as Aaron Redmond. Cockley, Sheridan, Bracewell, Cowan, Paine, Doherty and Hill don't make the team as they did relatively little during their time here and/or weren't doing all the facets of their game.

Ladder after the weekend;

1. Waratah - 98.44
2. Palmerston - 93.84
3. Darwin - 92.60
4. PINT - 76.26
-----------------------------
5. Tracy Village - 62.56
6. Nightcliff - 48.12
7. Southern Districts - 35.38

With the last round coming up, Tracy Village can still technically make it with an outright win against PINT, while PINT can't move up from 4th spot even with a big outright. Darwin and Palmerston clash decides the top of the table, Darwin had the Club Championship sown up about three rounds ago..

Nick Berry's 191* will give him the leading run scorer, while Ben Reichstein (41) and Udara Weerasinghe (43) are leading the wickets. Sam Miller will take out Player of the Year and Nick Berry would be favourite to take out the Ralph Wiese again.

I assume when you say "Cockley, Sheridan, Bracewell, Cowan, Paine, Doherty and Hill don't make the team" you actually mean "In my opinion, these players should not be in the team because..." I thought as part of a forum we were all able to have our say and didn't need to lodge our requests with you.

As for the other Kiwi internationals, if my team was the Darwin import team of the decade, then they have a strong case to be in. Mine was only of the last few years and as such they do not qualify for my team. Mick Miller played many seasons, and under your own guidleines that makes him a local as it is more than 3 seasons.

Regardless of how they went in their short appearances up here I want them in. My superstar Import team of the Last few Years would belt up on your team - if you'll name it...

The last few years shouldn't include guys who last played in 2006, which is basically seven seasons ago. With my so called import rule, it would also mean Trent Kelly is out as he has played in some form at PINT from 2005 to 2009.

Back