Dealing with yorkers!!!

IndiaRocks

Dealing with yorkers!!!

im 15 years old....and i bat in the middle order usually 4 or 5 position.......i can play almost the other types of ball well...but when they bowl yorkers....i start to defend....and i get out bowled.....but i play good length balls well.....i tried everything....but i can't hit any 4's of yorkers....

Re: Dealing with yorkers!!!

If it's a good yorker then you'd being do well to avoid getting out let alone hit a 4 from it.

The key to dealing with a yorker is to keep the backswing of the bat low, so you need less time to get the bat down to meet the ball.

If you want to try to score off a yorker then you may have to move out of the crease towards the bowler to help change the length, but this can be easier said than done.

are they other way's dealing with a yorker besides keeping your bat lift low and advancing down the track.

and should i stay on the backfoot or frontfoot?

am i supposed to stand farther down the pitch so i get a low full toss?

thanks for the help

It depends largely on the quality of the yorker, a good one is very hard to defend, a poor one gives you some leeway. If you get the bat down then you always have the chance that'll squirt away for runs.

In terms of front foot or back foot, well that is something which you'll have to play on a ball by ball basis as you can either be on the front or back foot. The main thing is to get the back down quickly.

The idea behind standing further down the pitch is indeed so that it changes the length from a yorker to something not so full - it's an aggressive tactic and like all things has pro's and con's. I would try in the nets first to see how you feel about, as you will have less time to react to the ball, but it can throw the bowler off his game slightly.

IndiaRocks said:
i tried everything....but i can't hit any 4's of yorkers....

ill take my hat of to the man (or women) who can regularly score 4s of yorkers.. or even so, hit a 4 off a yorker on purpose!

my method to playing a yorker is as M_C said...
1. low backlift.
2. 1/2 a stride forward (just a bit shorter then a forward defence.
3. make sure the toe of your bat is either touching or is VERY close to the ground..

by doing this i find i can succesfully defend the yorker...

last season i started being able to score runs from yorkers.... i either flicked it to or near square (dnt ask me how bcoz i dnt kno.. it just happens) or i defend as i said b4, but angle the bat towards either fine or slips depending on where it pitches...

if youre not confident then just defend... gives u more time at the crease as u wont lose your wicket.... score 4s of other balls..

just my opinion m8.... hope it helps ;)

i'd look at concentrating on keeping the yorker out and getting bat on ball! definitely dont look at scoring 4''s every time!

I usually just jam my bat into the pitch, last thing on my mind is a boundary when i get a yorker lol

You could always try the "move outside off, down the pitch scoop shot" but I'm personally against those kind of shots. If you can just keep the yorker out with your wicket intact, then you've done your job.

coming down to a yorker to make it a low full toss is all well and good if the bowler is bowling at 40mph and looping them in, but if he's banging them in at anything over 60 then you're not looking to come down to a yorker but just trying to keep your wicket. If you do adopt to stand a little out of your crease all the time then a bowler will probably adjust his lengths anyway. Just keep em out!!

king_of_slaves said:
You could always try the "move outside off, down the pitch scoop shot" but I'm personally against those kind of shots. If you can just keep the yorker out with your wicket intact, then you've done your job.

Lol, you don't play that shot against a yorker, there's no way you can scoop the ball that is that full, that shot is played to a fullish ball, not a yorker. If anything, you could move across to the leg side and try and stick the bat in front of it and try and squeeze the ball through 3rd man for 4. Or walk down the pitch and make it a full toss, thats very risky though.

That's why I said to walk down the pitch to play that shot to convert the ball into a full toss... ::)

Should've probably made it more clear.

Hitting fours of yorkers are not easy. You should just try to keep it out and getting a single if possible. Making movements while the bowler is in his runup can upset him and the length but not everyone is comfortable doing that. If that upsets your concentration, its no good.

I just try and bang the bat down as fast as I can!!

As a bowler, guys moving around doesn't affect where I bowl the ball unless I decide to follow the batsman in his movement. I guess it comes down to making a quick decision and sticking with it.

I do change my length if I'm pretty sure the batsman's coming down the wicket. But then again, when I bat I often suddenly stick my front foot out just before the bowler is about to bowl it, a lot of the time it really does trick the bowler into bowling it short.

Jonesy do bowlers at your age group think that much into their bowling. i would have thought they would be more concerned with line and length?

Depends on what quality of bowler they are. The ones I train with are very smart and would change their length if someone is coming down, and so would I, but some bowlers in games wouldn't, I guess teams have 2-3 smart bowlers, sometimes more in the good teams.

Coming down the wicket, yeah change the length - no brainer.

Dancing around to put you off but not really going anywhere, don't be distracted, just wang it down as you were going to.

Back