Defence

ag23

Defence

Im fairly good at playing offensive strokes but just having some trouble defending. I dont noe if u use ur regulary back lift for defense or just a short one. And i also dont noe when to play back foot defense or front foot.

Re: Defence

Use the same backlift because it's not a pre-meditated shot, or at least it shouldn't be.

If in doubt, go forward, worst that can happen is you get hit.

I read a 'tip from the pros' in a magazine about this kind of thing. Basically it said that you should try and keep your right elbow (if you're right handed) as close to your body as you can both during the backlift and during the shot. This keeps you posture tighter and closes the gap between bat and pad. I found it helpful anyways, so hopefully you do too.

You should be getting your foot to the pitch of the ball, with the bat next to the pad, like so:

battingstance2.gif

The reason for the bat being next to the pad is in order to prevent there being a gap that the ball can get through. It also gives you a wider barrier with which to protect the stumps. Keep points:

• Keep eyes on the ball all the way
  • Slight bend in front leg, comfortable stride out to the ball
  • Relaxed bottom hand
  • Head over bat
  • Back heel slightly raised

As for the backlift then the following points:

• Keep hands close into the body, not pushed out towards point or tucked towards fine leg
  • Try to keeps hands and bat straight, as this should bring the blade down straight
  • Keep head and bat over middle stump - this will put you in a great position to play any shot

Stumped said:
interesting that the bat is infront of the pads! very KP

I think he misjudged the length!

It was the best image I could find at that time but I think it gets the message across. The key thing is to form the barrier with bat and pad.

Avoids the close pad first LBW situation... I have my bat a couple of centimeters infront of the bat while playing the forward defensive shot. I also kind of take a huge step forward kinda like Misbah-ul-Haq, but don't try that directly in a match, I've seen a few youngsters from the under 13s team trying to copy their coach's forward defensive directly in a match and losing their balance. :laugh:

i play all my forward defensives in front of my pads with the bat angled down!

only if a spinner is troubling me will i go back foot!

i always put my bat in front of the pad to prevent it from hitting the pads.
king_of_slaves said:
Avoids the close pad first LBW situation... I have my bat a couple of centimeters infront of the bat while playing the forward defensive shot. I also kind of take a huge step forward kinda like Misbah-ul-Haq, but don't try that directly in a match, I've seen a few youngsters from the under 13s team trying to copy their coach's forward defensive directly in a match and losing their balance. :laugh:
yeah i used to try that but always lost my balance. it doesnt feel comfortable to me.

I used to play the forward defensive by having my bat way in front of my front pad, but was always told not to do that so now im trying to change to the "text book" defensive shot

ok so what lenght do u go back and can u post an image how it would like playing defense on the back foot.

The back foot defence is played to a short ball or one which you would not go forward to.

The first movement is to bring your back foot across towards the off stump, with the front following. Keep the weight on the back foot as this will allow you make corrections if needed.

Stay side on, with a high front elbow, keeping the bottom hand loose on the bat (helps to deaden the ball).

The first picture is from a side on position, the second from a front on view.

Heres when to play the stroke. Naturally this is just a guide. And this wqas posted by AUSSIE_BOY, in a thread called 'might help..'

For a word description, if the ball is just short of a good length on the stumps is when you should play the backward defence. The most important thing is to get your head in line with the ball. This way you will see if the ball bounces more or moves in the air easily, allowing you to adjust your stroke

Back