Difference Between Legbreak And Topspin?

Alexleggie

I've literally only been bowling leg-spin for 1 week now!
It's been going quite well but this is one question that I can't get my head around, I've learnt the grips, hand positioning, run up but what's the difference in the variations?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I've literally only been bowling leg-spin for 1 week now!
It's been going quite well but this is one question that I can't get my head around, I've learnt the grips, hand positioning, run up but what's the difference in the variations?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Mate, keep it simple, focus on your Leg Break. But the top-spinner is as it's described - it spins towards the batsman with over spin e.g. the seam is upright. What this gives you when you spin it hard is 'Dip' enabling you to realease at speed with an initial trajectory that looks as though should end up mid waist height, but then as it approaches in the last 3rd or so of the 22 yards, the ball will dip suddenly falling a lot shorter than say a ball that was thrown at the same speed and trajectory with no spin. Because of the sudden dip the angle of entry then reflects the angle of exit in rough terms and therefore also bounces up higher.

The Leg break has the same over-spin but the seam is angled towards the left from your point of view. It can be anywhere from almost pure over-spin like the top-spinner with just a little angle on the seam to the ball coming out of the hand with the seam spinning at 90 degrees to the pitch.

Have a look at this blokes videos - he demo's it very clearly, there's two vids watch both of them.

Mate, keep it simple, focus on your Leg Break. But the top-spinner is as it's described - it spins towards the batsman with over spin e.g. the seam is upright. What this gives you when you spin it hard is 'Dip' enabling you to realease at speed with an initial trajectory that looks as though should end up mid waist height, but then as it approaches in the last 3rd or so of the 22 yards, the ball will dip suddenly falling a lot shorter than say a ball that was thrown at the same speed and trajectory with no spin. Because of the sudden dip the angle of entry then reflects the angle of exit in rough terms and therefore also bounces up higher.

The Leg break has the same over-spin but the seam is angled towards the left from your point of view. It can be anywhere from almost pure over-spin like the top-spinner with just a little angle on the seam to the ball coming out of the hand with the seam spinning at 90 degrees to the pitch.

Have a look at this blokes videos - he demo's it very clearly, there's two vids watch both of them.

Oh ok thanks! I will start focusing on the leg breaks, I'm going to really go at them in school so hopefully it will be ok, thanks again for the help Dave, I appreciate it!

Back