Diving

Jelly Beanz

Diving

One thing I've noticed that I don't do in the field that some of my team mates do is dive around the place. I've never actually dived in a cricket match but I play rugby so I'm not exactly unused to being on the floor. Do you guys have any hints/tips/advice for diving - both for catches and to stop runs, if they are different??

Re: Diving

well both catching and stopping runs you need to keep your eye on the ball! ive always thought a fundamental part of Fielding is getting everything behind the ball!

i cant vouch for sliding as i dont do it.

Thanks for the advice but I don't mean sliding on your lower leg like instead of picking the ball up, more actually diving at a ball to catch it or stop it; more of a sideways or forwards action if you know what I mean. I've seen some guys do it how they sort of roll over on their arms after picking the ball up and I wondered if there was any method to this. I think I'll go with the 'make it up as you go along' method, but try a few small ones for starters :p

A couple of years ago, we took our (now U15s) to The Oval for a tournament in which they represented Essex. In a match against the team that represented Hampshire, one of our guys literally flew on the inside of the boundary to save a six. It really was great as he had to spin horizontally to stay inside the boundary.

I have to say, they do train for it during winter training these days. They stand between two really thick mattresses and have to leap whichever way at the whim of the thrower.

Liz Ward said:
A couple of years ago, we took our (now U15s) to The Oval for a tournament in which they represented Essex. In a match against the team that represented Hampshire, one of our guys literally flew on the inside of the boundary to save a six. It really was great as he had to spin horizontally to stay inside the boundary.
Liz i want to say something. Why do you always give the resulsts of your boys
we want to do it, we dont want to know how your boys do/did it

I actually wrote an article about this very subject for Harrowdrive a while back - linkage -it's not perfect, but maybe it will help a little.
As for drills, there are a few - just stand about 5-10 metres apart and throw/roll the ball a couple of metres either side of your partner. For added realism, do it reasonably hard - the important thing is to make sure you WATCH THE BALL, particularly on village pitches, where the outfield has more craters than the surface of the moon. Where possible, it's better to get as much of your body behind it as you can - given the choice, I'd always try and take the ball in the ribs (although it does leave a few bruises!) as opposed to with outstretched arms, as there's less chance of the ball slipping through, but that's simply personal choice.

Interesting macaroon9. Out of my 929 posts, count how many times I have mentioned our boys. You will probably find it is about 0.3%. Is that 'always' where you are from?

I actually make a point of not talking about my club. I can guarantee, you know far, far less about me and my boys than I know about you!

JB was after examples of diving and hints on how you train for it.

Tell me, if I do not mention my past experiences, what we did and do, how do I pass this information on?

It is a very selfish World where you guys want so much from me though are not at all interested in me or what I do outside of this site!

macaroon9 said:
Liz i want to say something. Why do you always give the resulsts of your boys
we want to do it, we dont want to know how your boys do/did it

I find it quite interesting and don't mind it, it's always good to hear about a someone else's experiences. Liz isn't here just to give us fitness advice, she is here to contribute to any topic just like the rest of us...

Liz said that the boys flew to save boundries and some more things, some people my not like it but we dont want to know that your boys did this and that, we need u to give advice not other things like they did this and that.
I am from India, is there any problem in that?

What? I never said anything about you being from India, what has that got to do with the price of fish?

If you don't want to know, just don't read it/respond to it!

Why can every other member tell their cricketing stories, yet Liz can't?

It was a figure of speech, I believe. She had just highlighted the statistics of her mentioning her boys about 0.3% of the time, and was enquiring as to whether you considered that to be 'always'. It wasn't a direct geographical statement.

I have to admit, I have no idea why you seem to have such a problem with Liz occasionally mentioning her club. She contributes a lot to this site, and is welcome to talk about whatever she likes. It was connected to the topic, so I just don't get what your problem is. Don't like it? Don't read it.

EDIT: Uh, looks like he's deleted the post.
DOUBLE EDIT: and reposted it below. :-/

Ok, if you dont want me to be a member of this site then i will leave, no problems for me
as a member of this site i have the right to see any post
and if you are saying that dont read then i think i should probably leave this site and delete the youtube account of this site also

Er... so let me get this right - you're threatening to leave the site over what basically stems down to the fact you don't like reading Liz's posts about her club?

Seriously, I don't mind whether you stay or go, but if you stay, wind down the drama a notch, buddy.

macaroon9 said:
Ok, if you dont want me to be a member of this site then i will leave, no problems for me
as a member of this site i have the right to see any post
and if you are saying that dont read then i think i should probably leave this site and delete the youtube account of this site also

Mate, no one is suggesting you leave. Yes you have the right to see any post and respond to it, but doesn't Liz also have the right to post what she wants? There is no rule against posting person experiences... I don't the site would be as good as it is without people sharing their experiences.

It is your choice to respond to Liz's post, but I still fail to see what your problem is with her sharing personal experiences - that is the sort of thing we all do here and what personally makes this site so enjoyable. I'm all for free speech and so on and so forth, but you're criticising her for doing something that everyone on here does, and I personally think that's unfair of you.

Anyway, can we let this drop? Perhaps we could go back to the topic at hand.

I know there are a few goalkeepers on here, and I was just wondering if you guys actually use any of the goalkeeping techniques when fielding a cricket ball?

Back