Doosra Variations?

Well yes, it seems like a lot of deliveries, but to be honest the first 3 are pretty much slight variatons of each other, the arm ball is a must have, the only majorly different ones are the carrom ball which is pretty easy to bowl because i have long strong fingers, and the "flying saucer" which I'm just not bothering with at the moment, might not either unless I find the need to use it once I play competitive cricket.

Top-spinner isn't that hard to bowl as long as I get really tall and fully extend my arm, the doosra in theory is just a few degrees more of wrist angle, but I can't bowl it with a conventional grip, I use more of my curled up and tucked index finger to give it a tweak while having my wrist as far as it can go the other way (which isn't far enough to bowl it with ease)

Besides, since I first posted that I started developing serious wrist pain, so much so my right hand ended up swollen and my fingers looking like sausages, I suspected carpal tunnel syndrome, and waited for it to ease away and so it did in 3 days, not bowling a doosra ever again, just trying to disguise my carrom ball better, saves the pain.

Thanks though for your help.

Been reading quite a bit and decided to register.

I am an left arm orthodox bowler and I don't bother with the doosra. I use the carrom ball to get the ball turning into the RHB. The saucer ball you describe sounds like what I call the "UFD" (wordplay on UFO) and I find it to be a very effective delivery. If executed correctly the ball will drift away from a RHB and skid/straighten. Very effective against a defensive batsman especially those that are leaving the stock balls that are pitched on off/middle stump.

Along with that I also bowl a wrong'un (googly), topspin and a legspin (looks the same as the googly) with the wrist for extra confusion against batsman that are trying to hold up an end.

The reason I steer clear of the doosra is because of the stress on the wrist that goes along with it, and the carram ball (and sometimes the UFD) has the same desired effect.

Been reading quite a bit and decided to register.

I am an left arm orthodox bowler and I don't bother with the doosra. I use the carrom ball to get the ball turning into the RHB. The saucer ball you describe sounds like what I call the "UFD" (wordplay on UFO) and I find it to be a very effective delivery. If executed correctly the ball will drift away from a RHB and skid/straighten. Very effective against a defensive batsman especially those that are leaving the stock balls that are pitched on off/middle stump.

Along with that I also bowl a wrong'un (googly), topspin and a legspin (looks the same as the googly) with the wrist for extra confusion against batsman that are trying to hold up an end.

The reason I steer clear of the doosra is because of the stress on the wrist that goes along with it, and the carram ball (and sometimes the UFD) has the same desired effect.

I like UFD... Unidentified flying delivery I guess? Yeah, if you can get the ball spinning that way, the potential for it to 'Drift' to me seems increased. Have you seen the experiments with the magnus affect on youtube by the old bloke at Sydney Uni?

I like UFD... Unidentified flying delivery I guess? Yeah, if you can get the ball spinning that way, the potential for it to 'Drift' to me seems increased. Have you seen the experiments with the magnus affect on youtube by the old bloke at Sydney Uni?

That's it. I haven't seen the video. I will have a look for it.

Hey guys I'm new around here but have been bowling off spin for about 10 years now. This is a doosra I've been working on for a long time now.

thats meant as praise, by the way, not trying to be a smart arse. I've been trying to get the hang of this delivery since forever.

If you wanted some tips... Let me know. Whereabouts do you play?
Dole out the tips, Laggsy.

I don't seem to get it beyond topspin. Any extra work on the ball only seems to give more topspin (which is a great delivery, but isn't turning the other way).

I bowl with a straight arm, if that is the question. I would posit that the Saqlain way is the only way, he didn't play with 'allowable degree of flex'.

I'm a finger spinner. Murali describes himself as a wrist spinner, and I have never seen an action comparable to his.

Hmmm...I think I am letting my wrist go on release, rather than keeping it locked. Nets for me tomorrow.

I'm not particularly sure which method is most like mine. I watched a tonne of different videos of Murali, Saqlain and Ajmal to develop my version.

I'd say there are 4 main aspects to bowl my doosra:

1) Land your left (front) foot further to the left than for the usual off spinner. This allows a more open/square on stance as you deliver the ball.

2) The shoulder rotation needs to be slightly different too. The best way for me to rationalise this motion in MY head is to try and have the back of my elbow facing the batsman as the arm comes over. Obviously this is impossible without dislocating your shoulder, but its the way to get your shoulder rotating in the right direction. The reason you need to get your arm in this position is because unless you have Murali's wrists you won't be able to get your wrist rotated far enough around to rotate the ball in the right direction.

3) The wrist is the final technical aspect of the motion. The wrist needs to be bent back towards your body and then as you release, you need to try and open your wrist to get extra revs on the ball. This isn't necessary when you first begin but as you progress, you will want to try and get every bit of spin on the ball you can. Honestly, the majority the the revs come from the arm speed, which is part 4.

4) Arm speed needs to be the same or greater than the off spinner. This might sound dumb and simple but its actually the hardest part, because you are rotating your shoulder at a ridiculous angle it makes it hard to move it fast. This is where strength and practice come in. This is why it has taken me so long to master it.

I believe I could teach anyone to bowl the doosra within 20 minutes. But to get them to bowl it at match speed, with good turn and accurately takes months and months. When I first started learning the doosra, my shoulder would start hurting after about 20 of them. But as I got stronger and stronger it went away and now i don't even notice it. I can (and have) bowled entire net sessions of doosras and have had no shoulder pain.

Questions? Go?

Is your doosra the same as your topspinner but *more* or is it a different action?

I noticed your front foot quite open...same for your offie, or is it a 'tell'? My uncle was a wicketkeeper, I remember him telling me that was how he picked a leggy he kept to for ages, purely off what his front foot did.

Do you have people suspicious of your action, call you a chucker and so forth?

Love your work, Laggsy, cheers mate.

I can bowl two types of top spinner. One is the same as my offspinning action just with a twisted wrist to make it top spin, and then I can bowl one like my doosra as well. But I usually stick to the standard one cause its more comfortable and harder to pick.

Yeah my front foot is definitely more open than my offie. Not massively, but enough to allow my shoulder into the required position. A batsman will never be looking at your feet though, its more about a more chest on action which they will notice.

Slightly off topic, but I'm considering changing my entire action to be based around my doosra (kinda like what Murali does) but its such a massive change, I don't know if it's worth it.

And finally yes, people call my doosra a chuck. It's not a chuck, I promise that. Its the same as how Murali achieves it with arm/shoulder rotation and a bent wrist.

Haha I'm not calling you a chucker!

If you have a good stock ball, don't mess with it. I know what you're saying with regards to the temptation to switch to front on, but I'm tipping you'll kill your flight. Having a front-on offie would be a variation though...a 'bluff' doosra or something.

oh yeah, I'm from Warne country, Melbourne, Australia. So thankfully heading into cricket season and lots of nets to figure this delivery out.

Yeah my stock ball is pretty wicked tbh. So much turn and bounce. I like that about having a bluff doosra though ;) that would be hilarious getting someone out playing for the doosra. Next level thinking haha.

Nice I'm from the Central Coast of NSW about an hour north of Sydney. I'm in England playing at the moment though playing as a 'pro' for a club side.

I can bowl two types of top spinner. One is the same as my offspinning action just with a twisted wrist to make it top spin, and then I can bowl one like my doosra as well. But I usually stick to the standard one cause its more comfortable and harder to pick.

Yeah my front foot is definitely more open than my offie. Not massively, but enough to allow my shoulder into the required position. A batsman will never be looking at your feet though, its more about a more chest on action which they will notice.

Slightly off topic, but I'm considering changing my entire action to be based around my doosra (kinda like what Murali does) but its such a massive change, I don't know if it's worth it.

And finally yes, people call my doosra a chuck. It's not a chuck, I promise that. Its the same as how Murali achieves it with arm/shoulder rotation and a bent wrist.

Just because murali and ajmal have an unorthodox action i personnaly have tried both of these actions and i can bowl both of them but getting the right speed and enough revs is another thing

Just practice. Nothing else you can do.

Can anyone bowl the carrom ball well? I'd like to learn it but its so bloody difficult and hurts my finger heaps.

Back