DVCA Money Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Money Shield 09/10

HUMMTB;391807 said:
Im my opinion i dont necessarily think boro need a bowler to take a bag, have only conceeded two score over 200 for the year as not many sides have really got going so far. Camrea have relied heavilly on McGann and he is the obvious threat but we all know its a long year and he has been required to bowl alot of overs of late.
Good luck to all on the weekend

Should be a great game, hopefully the weather is not an influence in the result, both sides are very even, so a good contest awaits.

Can anyone tell me where the games are being played this week??

WanderingUnity;392022 said:
Should be a great game, hopefully the weather is not an influence in the result, both sides are very even, so a good contest awaits.

Can anyone tell me where the games are being played this week??[/QUO

grade Grand final match ups venue webmasters first look at the games
BS [1] Plenty[2] Mernda Eltham Central Dont expect big scores as both attacks are very good
but I think Plenty's batting depth is stronger
MS [2] Camrea Taipans[4] Greensborough Mill Park Lakes #1 The question for me is whether Greensborough can resist
the McGann onslaught - I think they can
BR [3] Lower Eltham[4] Plenty Ben Frilay (Hurstbridge) Lower Eltham with a core of ex-Barclay Shield players
might just prove a bit too strong
MR [1] Greensborough[2] South Morang Mill Park Lakes #2 Greensborough going for the double crown as is Plenty.
This shapes as a toughie - Greensborough just...

C [1] Bundoora[3] Riverside Greensborough WMP Bundoora have impressed me all season and while
Riverside will hang tough should be overpowered
D [1] Bundoora[3] Riverside Eltham Lower Park (back oval) Similar match up to C Grade and again I just think
Bundoora will be just too strong in the clinches
E [3] Eltham[4] Mill Park Coventry (Diamond Creek) Not sure here as this may depend a lot on the makeup
of the Mill Park team which has changed greatly of late
F [1] South Morang[2] Lower Plenty Main Street #1 South Morang have been good all season so I think they
will prove too strong for a late improving Lower Plenty side
G [2] Lower Eltham[4] Bundoora Montmorency Park This Lower Eltham side if they played to their best would
be playing higher grades so they should win
H [1] Diamond Creek[2] Bundoora Redleap (Mill Park) Diamond Creek via a miracle get to rematch Bundoora
who were the only side to beat them - Bundoora for me
16-1B [1] Bundoora[2] Plenty Eltham Central Shapes as a classic U16 match - Bundoora have more
depth but Plenty have Johnson... ummmm Bundoora
16-1T [3] Lower Plenty[4] Diamond Creek Ben Frilay (Hurstbridge) Another great lineup with Lower Plenty having the depth
and Diamond Creek has Phelan... ummmm Lower Plenty
16-2 [3] Lalor Star [4] Lower Plenty gold Mill Park Lakes #1 Lalor Stars can be very hot and cold but they should be too
strong... they better not be complacent though
14-1B [1] North Eltham[2] South Morang Main Street #1 It'll take a mighty South Morang effort to get anywhere
near this outstanding star studded North Eltham side
14-1T [1] Lower Plenty[3] Panton Hill Research Park The Lower Plenty depth comes up against the very talented
Barton and Rushton - I have to go with the team with depth
14-2B [1] Greensborough[2] Bundoora Eltham Lower Park (back oval) Top side all season Greensborough comes up against a
vastly improved Bundoora - Greensborough but only just
14-2T [3] Eltham[4] St Francis Coventry (Diamond Creek) A slightly surprising match up and St Francis might just be
coming with a rush at season's end
14-2W [2] Riverside[4] North Eltham Lower Plenty Park Another match up I didnt expect to see but I think
Riverside went clearly better during the season
12-1B [1] Riverside[2] Diamond Creek Greensborough WMP Riverside are bigger and stronger than a very young
Diamond Creek who have excelled to get this far
12-1T [2] North Eltham [4] St Francis Redleap (Mill Park) Crushing semi final wins by both sides but I've tipped
North Eltham all season so they carry my weight
12-2B [2] Lower Eltham[4] Bundoora Montmorency Park Tipping a major upset here with Bundoora to win
12-2T [1] Lalor Stars[3] Research Mill Park Lakes #2 Lalor Stars belted Research during season so they are hot
favourites in what could be a closer match this time
12-3B [1] North Eltham green[2] Lower Plenty Cracknell (Panton Hill) deserved finallists in what should be a close match -
Lower Plenty will give cheek but North Eltham too strong
12-3T [1] St Francis[3] North Eltham Susan Street St Francis have been unbeaten and noone really got close
during season - I would expect

watched the last innings of the Money shield game, Mc gann outstanding! great game plan with the bowling group, old big mouth Bubis leading them with experience. but Greensborough, wow, some of the worst shots played by experienced and senior players in their team, and then conceding after their poor second innings. well down to the boys in Main street.

maybe after so many low scores this season and in the finals, the DVCA will take the step to bring in 4 piece balls.

one shot;392783 said:
watched the last innings of the Money shield game, Mc gann outstanding! great game plan with the bowling group, old big mouth Bubis leading them with experience. but Greensborough, wow, some of the worst shots played by experienced and senior players in their team, and then conceding after their poor second innings. well down to the boys in Main street.

maybe after so many low scores this season and in the finals, the DVCA will take the step to bring in 4 piece balls.
Fair point, not to the mention the influence all-weather pitches can have for bowlers, but as you said some bowlers have been made to look good by ultra-poor shot making by batsmen.

Yep - the 4 piece ball has to come in this year. I think for the entire competition in Barclay this year the bowlers took a wicket every 19 runs. Time to make the bowlers earn their wickets I reckon.

It's time to make the call and go to 4 piece balls in Barclay and Money, there's an unfair advantage to bowlers, you don’t need to look far for evidence as too many low scores are made across the board. Is could also be said that this (in addition to all weather wickets) is hampering the development of the kids coming through, which needs to be taken into account for the long term future of the comp.
Speaking to number of senior players at few clubs this year and there seems to be high level of support to make the switch. The cost factor is not an argument and clubs will simply need to pull their finger out and work harder to cover the additional cost. I beleive It's only $20 per game ??
Well done to Camrea on the weekend simply outplayed Boro

Congrats Camrea, very experienced side who will be competitive for a year or 2 in Barclay. Hell of a lot of recruiting to do in the next couple of years, but good luck. McGann can mix it with the best of them! Fellows, honest as the day is long. Boro', lessons learned, 4 years away from hitting there strides. Lots to come. Easy to bag shot selection in the 2nd dig from the outside, truth is, make a game of it or end it! Poyntzy, stink'n game both ways!

Watched 90% of the game and two decisions were shockers. Didnt see Burras opener front on but apparently smashed it as did Butters. The two I noticed albeit under the weather was Kelsey's LBW. Miles down the track and high and Johnny Bubis who clearly didnt nick his.

Dubious decision;392902 said:
Easy to bag shot selection in the 2nd dig from the outside, truth is, make a game of it or end it! Poyntzy, stink'n game both ways!

I was actually surprised at how Greensborough approached the second innings. They had bowled themselves right back into the game and with 30 overs still to be bowled I did not feel there was a need for any urgency until the following Saturday.
I know this is easy to say but I thought if Greensborough could have got to 2 or 3 down for 60 at the end of the second day that the game was well and truly on. The hard part was contending with McGann.

HUMMTB;392852 said:
It's time to make the call and go to 4 piece balls in Barclay and Money, there's an unfair advantage to bowlers, you don’t need to look far for evidence as too many low scores are made across the board. Is could also be said that this (in addition to all weather wickets) is hampering the development of the kids coming through, which needs to be taken into account for the long term future of the comp.
Speaking to number of senior players at few clubs this year and there seems to be high level of support to make the switch. The cost factor is not an argument and clubs will simply need to pull their finger out and work harder to cover the additional cost. I beleive It's only $20 per game ??
Well done to Camrea on the weekend simply outplayed Boro

4 piece balls is a must, the all weather pitches are great and will maintain the condition of the ball until well after tea, making good bowlers who can move the ball, (currently anyone with half a brain can swing the 2 piece a mile, both ways) better. Good batsmen will start to develop a method to combat the new pitches, it is more a patience thing than a technique thing. Not enough bats are prepared for the long haul, all are just looking to get on the front foot, like the good old days, and tee off over cover, especially after tea. Well those days are gone, and good riddance to em.
However, these changes will continue to only benefit 2/3 of the competition, until all grounds are ripped up and relaid, with water tanks and better maintenance, grounds like St.Franks, Bun United, Thommo Utd, and a few others should all be done up and given a new life.

WanderingUnity;393004 said:
4 piece balls is a must, the all weather pitches are great and will maintain the condition of the ball until well after tea, making good bowlers who can move the ball, (currently anyone with half a brain can swing the 2 piece a mile, both ways) better. Good batsmen will start to develop a method to combat the new pitches, it is more a patience thing than a technique thing. Not enough bats are prepared for the long haul, all are just looking to get on the front foot, like the good old days, and tee off over cover, especially after tea. Well those days are gone, and good riddance to em.
However, these changes will continue to only benefit 2/3 of the competition, until all grounds are ripped up and relaid, with water tanks and better maintenance, grounds like St.Franks, Bun United, Thommo Utd, and a few others should all be done up and given a new life.

Strong rumour that DVCA will propose a move to 4 peice balls for all 80 over cricket (that A-C grade) and under 16-1s.
Cost: approx $23-25 per ball extra x 11+ games x 4 levels = $1100+ approx. PLUS TRAINING BALLS. (could easily double this cost)

I do not beleive the 4 peice ball is the problem.

Wanderingunity touched on it above but I think the reasons run deeper.

The probelm is that with the bowling restrictions, young batsmen know they only have 8-10 overs to see off the best bowlers in the opposition before smacking the 2nd, 3rd & 4th+ string bowlers around.

Batsmen are becoming soft because of this.

When they hit senior grades and the best bowlers bowl 15-20 overs each, they cannot mentally cope with the pressure of being dominated or not dominating the bowling. They play a rash shot and get out.

It is no coincidence that the best batsmen in the competition are all over 30. Grown up in the days prior to restrictions.

Until the young restrictions are reduced or scrapped then the standard of batsmen coming thru will not improve.

Have a look at the comp batting averages in the juniors when they are published. Nearly all winners averaged over 100!!! If someone averaged 100+ in the juniors 20 years ago, they were a genuine superstar. Now it is nearly par for course.

Happy to keep daily restrictions but maybe can bowl the daily limit in one spell if desired. (ie 10 overs straight rather than 2 x 5)

hey Prez

Problem is that the 2 piece platypus ball swings like a red king compared to a kookaburra 2 piece.
The DVCA has a contract with Platypus therefore going four piece is the sensible option, combined with playing 90% of the games on the all season pitches has created a bowlers comp.

You will also find that you don’t hit your peak batting until your late 20's early 30's hence the best bats in the comp are in that age bracket.

THE PREZ;393386 said:
Strong rumour that DVCA will propose a move to 4 peice balls for all 80 over cricket (that A-C grade) and under 16-1s.
Cost: approx $23-25 per ball extra x 11+ games x 4 levels = $1100+ approx. PLUS TRAINING BALLS. (could easily double this cost)

The probelm is that with the bowling restrictions, young batsmen know they only have 8-10 overs to see off the best bowlers in the opposition before smacking the 2nd, 3rd & 4th+ string bowlers around.

When they hit senior grades and the best bowlers bowl 15-20 overs each, they cannot mentally cope with the pressure of being dominated or not dominating the bowling. They play a rash shot and get out.

It is no coincidence that the best batsmen in the competition are all over 30. Grown up in the days prior to restrictions.

Until the young restrictions are reduced or scrapped then the standard of batsmen coming thru will not improve.

Have a look at the comp batting averages in the juniors when they are published. Nearly all winners averaged over 100!!! If someone averaged 100+ in the juniors 20 years ago, they were a genuine superstar. Now it is nearly par for course.

Happy to keep daily restrictions but maybe can bowl the daily limit in one spell if desired. (ie 10 overs straight rather than 2 x 5)

I'm with you Georgey.

So the reason why bowlers are dominating the comp has nothing to do with all weather wickets and 2 piece balls. It's because bowlers are only allowed to bowl 5 over spells in juniors? Is this a joke? There is also another aspect to look at. Maybe the comp will start producing spinners if a real 4 piece ball is introduced. In cricket, the ball should stop swinging after 20 - 30 overs and give the spinners a chance. It also makes fast bowlers develop other skills like slower balls, genuine pace and cutting the ball. This will only happen with a 4 piece ball.

Happy to keep daily restrictions but maybe can bowl the daily limit in one spell if desired. (ie 10 overs straight rather than 2 x 5)[/QUOTE]

When they hit senior grades and the best bowlers bowl 15-20 overs each, they cannot mentally cope with the pressure of being dominated or not dominating the bowling. They play a rash shot and get out.[/B

That is the key aspect, young batsmen of today do not have the PATIENCE to bat for a long period of time, and being able to 'see a bowler off' is a major reason for it.

Being able to get through the opening attack, and survive past drinks not only gives the batsmen down the order some confidence, it also dents the confidence of the other bowlers, if a side is reeling at 4/50, then batsmen 6,7,8 and 9 are in before tea, and the bowlers are rampant.

Young batsmen try to dominate the bowling from the first ball, and that has a lot to do with the way that they play juniors.

If the ball wasn't still hooping both ways in the 40th over, I reckon that might help too. Just an idea.

five80;393642 said:
If the ball wasn't still hooping both ways in the 40th over, I reckon that might help too. Just an idea.

Well Said, the all weather wickets settle down and actually become good to bat on, believe it or not!!!....the 4 piece has an art to it where only a select few can get it going, not like every tom dick and harry that picks up a 2piece.

you actually have to look after the ball!!

either way, as far as your comp goes, 2 piece or 4 piece?? it depends on whether you want to be respected as one of the better local comps going around or laughed at like you are with your toy balls.

Don't know why all this talk about 4 peice balls should be in the Money Shield forum. The last time I looked there was a thread about how to make the DVCA better.

Camrea's Taipans win in Money Shield has been hijacked.

Epping, Mernda, Lalor Stars and Greensborough who are all very strong clubs have had a crack of winning Money Shield first up after coming from another competition. It is not easy to do and only one club in recent history has managed to do it.

northmetroboy;393644 said:
Well Said, the all weather wickets settle down and actually become good to bat on, believe it or not!!!....the 4 piece has an art to it where only a select few can get it going, not like every tom dick and harry that picks up a 2piece.

you actually have to look after the ball!!

either way, as far as your comp goes, 2 piece or 4 piece?? it depends on whether you want to be respected as one of the better local comps going around or laughed at like you are with your toy balls.

Hilarious.
Cant remember the last few comp games? You guys have performed so bad that our U/16 's want in on next years game. 4 or 2 piece. If you cant play, you cant play.

Good point. Camrea have done a great job getting up on the first go. Plenty of people bag the standard of Money shield but you still have to play good cricket to get up as teams like Lower Plenty have found out. I think they'll be far more competitive than NEW. Eltham will once again have tough opposition in the fight to stay in Barclay Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back