DVCA One Day Competition

F Troop

DVCA One Day Competition

I believe it's time the DVCA explored this avenue, we seem to be the only comp that is opposed to having a one-day competition compared to HDCA and NMCA who both have a ODC, why would the DVCA be against the idea??

Re: DVCA One Day Competition

Python Press;402325 said:
I believe it's time the DVCA explored this avenue, we seem to be the only comp that is opposed to having a one-day competition compared to HDCA and NMCA who both have a ODC, why would the DVCA be against the idea??
What is wrong with the DVCA as it is? Why do we need to $%#& around with what we have. HDCA & NMCA have oneday comps, who cares this is the DVCA and obviously the way we are doing it at the moment works. How many teams in recent times have entered the DV from those comps and why do you think that is. The structure they have dosn't work ours does so leave it be.

THE ICEMAN;402331 said:
What is wrong with the DVCA as it is? Why do we need to $%#& around with what we have. HDCA & NMCA have oneday comps, who cares this is the DVCA and obviously the way we are doing it at the moment works. How many teams in recent times have entered the DV from those comps and why do you think that is. The structure they have dosn't work ours does so leave it be.

Dv structure is floored. How can it be the best system when there are 2 one day game and 9 two day games. Only when it becomes even for all teams playing each other, will it be better.

YouKnowNothing;402334 said:
Dv structure is floored. How can it be the best system when there are 2 one day game and 9 two day games. Only when it becomes even for all teams playing each other, will it be better.
Play saturday/sunday in the top four grades, to ensure it is even across the comp.

THE ICEMAN;402335 said:
Play saturday/sunday in the top four grades, to ensure it is even across the comp.
the DVCA did this several years ago at the club's request and we played 2 Sat/Sun fixtures during the year to make up the 11 games over 20 weeks.
2 years ago the clubs voted to go back to the older fixture option of 2 one day games and 9 two day games. This was because family men were out too many Sundays throughout the year.
I really do not think it is an issue causing an uneven fixture - particulaly in Barclay Sheild where there are few outrights in a season.

I would think unlikley to go back to 11 x 2 dayers again soon.

I would prefer divisions of 10 teams - commence mid October - and play 9 two day games only. We do not need 3 divisions of ten now to do this with the new grading throughout.
Just need to announce that as of season 2011-12 the bottom 3 teams will go down and work from there. (and then pray your club is not one of the 3)

Thinking ahead, the AFL season will be extended at both ends. Will start earlier in March and finish 1st week October - so cricket comps need to start to think how we can work around that.
Do we play round 1 on the 1st Sunday in Ocotber - the day after the AFL GF - Yuk!!
A lot of hung over cricketers there will be.

I think therefore we have bigger issues to worry about going forward as the AFL takes over.

The only way we can introduce a one day fixture is to have 3 divisions of 8.
7 one dayers and 7 two dayers. Pretty much like the Jika. Have a one day GF just after Xmas. All points are added to the two day fixture except the one day GF.
The league are heading this way whether we like it or not!

The eight team, 14 game, 7-7 split is commonplace in suburban cricket in Perth and the home and away season needs 21 days.

At worst, you play one Sunday to get the full fixture done but most WA comps reverse the fixtures from year to year so that you host a side both home and away in 2 day and 1 day cricket in a two season cycle.

The home and away season consists of 4 x 2 dayers, 7 x 1 dayers and then 3 x 2 dayers.

There are two ladders - one with all matches included (2 day AND 1 day) and a One Day ladder, which, obviously, includes only the one day matches.

The comp that I play in schedules their One Day Final two weeks after the last one dayer on a Sunday (usually the last week in Jan or first week in Feb).

Other comps that have had 10 or 12 have gravitated towards an 8-team format because everyone gets to play teams both home and away (two full rounds) instead of just one meeting.

Python Press;402325 said:

HDCA and NMCA are irrelevent and weak organisations. The DVCA is fine as it is, yes not perfect, but does not require fundemental change. If I was at Mont I'd be more focused on getting my club back on track than worrying about one day comps.

100% bull;402996 said:
hdca and nmca are irrelevent and weak organisations. The dvca is fine as it is, yes not perfect, but does not require fundemental change. If i was at mont i'd be more focused on getting my club back on track than worrying about one day comps.
big tick from me.

100% BULL;402996 said:
HDCA and NMCA are irrelevent and weak organisations. The DVCA is fine as it is, yes not perfect, but does not require fundemental change. If I was at Mont I'd be more focused on getting my club back on track than worrying about one day comps.

Our club is back on track now since we got rid of some dead weight off our shoulders ie. Wunhym. We'll be back in Barclay Shield before you know it.

Python Press;403194 said:
Our club is back on track now since we got rid of some dead weight off our shoulders ie. Wunhym. We'll be back in Barclay Shield before you know it.

Small steps, start by making the Money Shield finals first...

Python Press;403194 said:
The 'dead wood' as you refer to, was the only think keeping you competitve.

Mont are a fair way back in the pack and you would be better off concentrating on your own club and where you are at, and where you are going, rather than slaggiing off ex players.

Montmorency CC isn't a bad club, i don't disagree with 100% BULL that the club needs to get back on track and they will over time and they will be a stronger club for it. I think Wunhym was good thing for the club as he did give the young kids a go in the firsts even when they were struggling.

100% BULL;402996 said:

Let's steer clear from club bashing, and player sledging.

The competition is not fair I agree, it is flawed, beacuse we don't play everyone home and away, and we play some sides in one day games, where these sides may have been beaten outright if it was a two day game, but I think that as long as it is done on a rotating basis, ie, keep track of who teams play each year in the one day games, and make sure these are not paired up again for at least 3 years, it will make it as even as possible.

The new grading system will also work to the benifit of all clubs, as we saw this year, the sides stacking their lower XI's knowing that there BR & MR sides could not be relegated was ridiculous, and savaged clubs that are doing the right thing.

Let's stick with the current format and as long as it is monitored, we should all be happy.

WanderingUnity;404130 said:
Let's steer clear from club bashing, and player sledging.

The competition is not fair I agree, it is flawed, beacuse we don't play everyone home and away, and we play some sides in one day games, where these sides may have been beaten outright if it was a two day game, but I think that as long as it is done on a rotating basis, ie, keep track of who teams play each year in the one day games, and make sure these are not paired up again for at least 3 years, it will make it as even as possible.

The new grading system will also work to the benifit of all clubs, as we saw this year, the sides stacking their lower XI's knowing that there BR & MR sides could not be relegated was ridiculous, and savaged clubs that are doing the right thing.
Let's stick with the current format and as long as it is monitored, we should all be happy.

Can anyone give an example of this? It has been mentioned on this forum and also at the DVCA PRE AGM.

We had our bottom 4 teams (C,D,G & H) make a grand final - 2wins & 2 losses. This had nothing to do with stacking sides nor, to my knowledge, did any of the 4 opponents that we played. That only leaves E & F grade. Seems a throwaway line that people have decided to run with but i'm not sure if there's much truth to it??

Bundoora;404133 said:
Can anyone give an example of this? It has been mentioned on this forum and also at the DVCA PRE AGM.

We had our bottom 4 teams (C,D,G & H) make a grand final - 2wins & 2 losses. This had nothing to do with stacking sides nor, to my knowledge, did any of the 4 opponents that we played. That only leaves E & F grade. Seems a throwaway line that people have decided to run with but i'm not sure if there's much truth to it??

No naming of clubs necessary, but our MR side was on course for finals, when all of a sudden, the amount of outright wins that were being claimed by other sides went through the roof, and looking at the results, the names that were on the teamsheets differed greatly from the teams from earlier in the season.

As there will be relegation this season, this will not be a problem or issue.

Bundoora;404133 said:

I think it does happen, I am sure your Club does not 'stack' as I know the Club I am with does not either. There will always be Grades that are successful in lower grades without stacking. Evident with your Club as your higher grades also did well. From what I 'heard' around the traps one GF stood out as a club seemed to have stacked the team with players from higher grades earlier in the season. I have had a look at it and can provide the following (and will not name Clubs but call them Team A and Team B and will only look two grade up from the GF grade)

Looking at the GF teams I see that Team A all up (all 11 players) had a total of 23 games in higher grades (than the GF grade). Team B had 51. This means all 11 Team A players played 2 higher grade games and Team be all 11 nearly played 5!. BOth Clubs higher grades did not have great years, at all.

Now compare this to your C Grade GF, Bundoora had a total of 12 higher grade matches and Riverside a total of 9. Both Clubs had two higher grades. This is a reflection of basically 1 higher game per player, realistic? (I say yes) Especially when both Clubs higher grades did well.

I am not accusing Team A and B of doing anything untoward, its the perception if untoward things that start new concepts like this grading system.

What will be achieved with the new grading is their higher teams will be relegated to lower grades if the did that this year. To me that actually makes sense.

Hopefully I have made sense here, I am not trying to single out nor accuse Clubs. I am just trying to give a POSSIBLE reason for the new decision.

I would firstly like to congratulate Macleod on going to the effort of putting a proposal together for a formal 1 day competetition this season.

However, I got the vibe at the Pre AGM that there is a few clubs who are against the concept of a formal 1 day grade. With the voting rule specifing that there needs to be 2/3 majority all it will take is a few club to vote no and the concept is shot for another season.

What clubs need to remember is they will not be required to enter a team if the dont want to. So hopefully they dont spoil it for the clubs who are willing to give this comp a go. I know this type of cricket isnt for everyone however there are a heap of people 2 day cricket doesnt suit either.

Back