DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Player movements and rumours

cold case;372451 said:
Sounds a bit like your cricketing days.
You'd be the first ump to admit it!

We all make mistakes its a part of life. The funniest ump was Alan never give an LBW Hibbit just walked off the ground 1 day to take a tablet then went to the toilet then took he's time walking back to the centre. I havn't seen him for a while but heard he still does the lower grades god help them..!!

The umpiring is as bad as some of the players in each grade! Think about a player dropping a soda, a bowler not hitting the pitch. A batsmen playing a terrible shot! Its part of the game, and we all need to suck it up!

There is nothing that can or will change! We need to just move on and accept that umpires make mistakes/errors just like every single player on here posting has!

Tongs;372472 said:
The umpiring is as bad as some of the players in each grade! Think about a player dropping a soda, a bowler not hitting the pitch. A batsmen playing a terrible shot! Its part of the game, and we all need to suck it up!

There is nothing that can or will change! We need to just move on and accept that umpires make mistakes/errors just like every single player on here posting has!

duck man has never made a mistake. He hasnt been on here much lately. Must be mixing up the chocolate at Wonka Land. Wonder where he buys them big floppy pants from?

Tongs;372391 said:
George I disagree with what you are saying about the young kids appealing too much. Yes they do it, not because they are trying to cheat, but because they watch too much TV and generally have no idea about the rules of cricket. You can't say that they should not over appeal, as in their minds the batsman is actually out. It’s the coaches/fathers that should be teaching the kids the laws of cricket.

I believe it is the umpires who need to grow some aggots and take a bit of ownership of THEIR decisions. Who cares if the bowler appeals 5 out of 6 balls? They might be all close, but if it’s not out its not out. Don't give one because they have been close so many times. Over appealing means jack if the umpires take a bit of pride in their own work.

Keasy don't you give me that crap about you not appealing when you believe it is not out. You got me LBW to a (rhymes with PUNT) of a decision. I bat a yard out of my crease, took two steps down the pitch and got hit just above the knee roll. I also bat left handed, so far chance its going across me or pitching outside leg. You were the only buffoon to go up and needless to say I thought you were going to kiss the umpire you got up that close. The umpire preceded to shlte his pants and put up his shaking index finger.

You bat out of your crease playing A grade Quinny

The430king;372483 said:
You bat out of your crease playing A grade Quinny

Just coming back from a spell on the side lines, and I'm in the magoos at the moment.

And if I'm batting out of my crease in A grade, you are batting half way down the track having a missus Jimmy! :)

You are all well aware of my love for Riverside, and seeing as though I am playing them this week, I thought I would start the banter with them now!

They have had one of, if not the best player in the comp for the last 10 years (not that long but rounding off) he is a very professional player and coach. Demands the respect and gets it from his players, and the rest of the comp. Represented the DVCA, and has captained the team a number of times. And a good bloke to top it off...........

But with the coin that he would be on, on average $10,000 a season times 10 years is $100,000. What have they got from this large investment? Very little success! They are an extremely good club, well oiled but cannot get over the line. How many of those 10 years have the 1sts played finals? There have been no flags.

Maybe its time for those getting paid at Riverside to put something back into the club, and play a season without payments! Get back to playing the game for the love of it, and not thinking of the sky rocket.

And Bubble Wrap, before you drill me and say you don’t pay players or not that much. I don’t want to hear it! Every club pays players, so there is no point arguing this!

cold case;372452 said:
You are right, but you have two scores. Under 5 or over 50. I reckon you've made a lot more of the former scores.:D

I'm a bowler now anyway - as i should have been 10 years ago - it just took a good captain to realise it.......

Bundoora;372584 said:
I'm a bowler now anyway - as i should have been 10 years ago - it just took a good captain to realise it.......

We had the best spinner going around then anyway. Gary Barclay!

I give you one thing. You definately put doubt in the batsmans mind.
They dont know whether to hit you for six or four. It takes them 12 balls to realise you bowl nude balls and at medium pace.

Word around the traps is that there is massive infighting at Camrea.
Moves are underway to get the ex-captain coach from Rosebank to take the reins at Main Street - He has been given a clear mandate to shake things up and a big budget to recruit players.

Valley Gossip;372642 said:
Word around the traps is that there is massive infighting at Camrea.
Moves are underway to get the ex-captain coach from Rosebank to take the reins at Main Street - He has been given a clear mandate to shake things up and a big budget to recruit players.

The same person had been Captain of Rosebank for the last 10 odd years. Tony Tenuta. This is the 1st season that he has not been Captain, but Dave Plumpton is. Don't think that Tony would walk out on his brother and Capt/Coach the arch enemy. I think your talking crap. :confused:

The Apprentice;372768 said:
i heard two kids from mill park to O.P's next season

Obviously not too worried about the social side of it! It would be like going back to school again.

Tongs;372582 said:
You are all well aware of my love for Riverside, and seeing as though I am playing them this week, I thought I would start the banter with them now!

They have had one of, if not the best player in the comp for the last 10 years (not that long but rounding off) he is a very professional player and coach. Demands the respect and gets it from his players, and the rest of the comp. Represented the DVCA, and has captained the team a number of times. And a good bloke to top it off...........

But with the coin that he would be on, on average $10,000 a season times 10 years is $100,000. What have they got from this large investment? Very little success! They are an extremely good club, well oiled but cannot get over the line. How many of those 10 years have the 1sts played finals? There have been no flags.

Maybe its time for those getting paid at Riverside to put something back into the club, and play a season without payments! Get back to playing the game for the love of it, and not thinking of the sky rocket.

And Bubble Wrap, before you drill me and say you don’t pay players or not that much. I don’t want to hear it! Every club pays players, so there is no point arguing this!

Not sure to many of them are getting paid, the bloke you mentioned is worth every cent from what I can see. I think the problem for some of them is they are soft;)

100% BULL;372985 said:
Not sure to many of them are getting paid, the bloke you mentioned is worth every cent from what I can see. I think the problem for some of them is they are soft;)

Yes I agree, he is worth every penny.
A question for you Craig. You are an ex Pes, at what time of a career would you think that its time to give back to the club. You are an ex pres, would a paid player over a 10 to 15 year time frame warrant Life membership selection? Interested to hear your comments on this.

cold case;372990 said:
A question for you Craig. You are an ex Pes, at what time of a career would you think that its time to give back to the club. You are an ex pres, would a paid player over a 10 to 15 year time frame warrant Life membership selection? Interested to hear your comments on this.

I would like to think a player who has been paid to play for over 10-15 years does warrent Life Membership, as long as they have put back into the club. Ie helped coach juniors, been on the committee and actually helped out. Gone to functions etc.

Actually put something into the club that has put food on the table for their kids! Or helped drug addictions (a former captain)

If they have done that, give it to them!

cold case;372990 said:

You've become very philosophical over the last couple of weeks CC.

I think if a bloke has made a contribution to the club that is worthy of life membership then he shouldnt be excluded because he has been paid. Having said that if you are getting paid, simply playing or coaching alone wouldnt qualify in my books, you would have to have done the yards on the committee, socially, with the kids, etc.

In terms of giving back, I think the best time to give back to a club is whilst you still have something of quality to give back. From what I know it looks like Bondy & Johno did that at Plenty towards the end of their careers which I think is a good thing.

100% BULL;373009 said:
You've become very philosophical over the last couple of weeks CC.

I think if a bloke has made a contribution to the club that is worthy of life membership then he shouldnt be excluded because he has been paid. Having said that if you are getting paid, simply playing or coaching alone wouldnt qualify in my books, you would have to have done the yards on the committee, socially, with the kids, etc.

In terms of giving back, I think the best time to give back to a club is whilst you still have something of quality to give back. From what I know it looks like Bondy & Johno did that at Plenty towards the end of their careers which I think is a good thing.

I think the Plenty guys have been doing it a while now.
At Lalor the player/person has to be nominated by any other player.
Qualification is a minimum of 10 years service. It then goes to vote by all active Life Members. Majority deems the outcome. Like any clubs there are some that slip through the system, and I assure you that Lalor have some beauties that must have been the Presidents mate at the time. Hopefully the right candidates are inducted in the future.
Our candidates are inducted only by the vote of the active Life Members.
Is this similar to most clubs? Interested in feedback.

cold case;372451 said:
Sounds a bit like your cricketing days.
You'd be the first ump to admit it!

We had a good one in C grade this week.

One of our batsman was given out " hit the middle of the bat".

Now I am not sure what country this decision comes from but they get a good tan wherever it is.

Our RH batsman played a nice sweep shot off an off-spinner. Came of the middle of the bat and went for 4 down past fine leg.
The bowler gave an anguished cry ( coz maybe he played it off the stumps?) and the umpire gave him out.

In sheer disbeleif - the batsman questioned what for - and he said LBW !!!!!!!!!

The ball at no stage hit the batsman anywhere but the middle of his bat.

Full credit goes to the batsman for not striking the ump with the middle of his bat thereafter.

Absolute shocker.

cold case;372222 said:
We have all heard and seen from the weekend's results, that Research were demolished outright by Epping. Research were routed in the second dig for a record breaking 21. A fine effort by Epping but from all reports the umpiring standard was quoted as " woeful ". Research champion batsman Glenn Turner's dismissal was said to be a shocker. Surely the benefit of the doubt must be in the batsman's favour if the umpire is unsure? By all reports there were at least a handful of shockers in the Research-Epping match and by the same umpire. Was it an abberation or is this a common occurence from all the 70 + umpires we have?
Lalor Stars premier bat Steve Kemp was given caught behind down leg side in the match against Riverside when clearly a mile away from the ball. Umpire was 70 +. Most sides have 2 or 3 good bats and when one or two are given out on dubious decisions, it is very hard to fight back. Of course opposition teams may go over board in the appealing against the better bats but the umpire should still be able to judge the decision clear headed.
I keep hearing how hard it is to recruit umpires and dont go too hard on them, but at the end of the day cricket in the Valley is big business. I run a club that requires hours of work a week and there are lots of bigger clubs than mine around. Its hard work. The DVCA executive run things pretty good I would have thought, but our umpiring depatrment seems to be found wanting a tad. Sure we have good numbers compared to the Jika and Heidelberg district, but the standard in my opinion is and has been quite poor for a some time now. I assume we have all heard about the influx of 15 indian student umpires? Good move? I doubt it, but will reserve my judgement until some feedback comes in.
I get a bad taste in my mouth when I hear that we need more umpires. They are helping us out. Cricket will be the loser. Spare me! Clubs collectively must fork out close enough to $ 100,000 tax free to umpires over they year. Sure there are a couple of umpires that are worth their salt, Nick Shearer comes to mind, but why should a nuff nuff that is allowed out only on weekends get the same dollars as the best in our league?
If they aren't skilled enough to look after 22 men then dont employ them. If they are too old then leave them out in the garden on a saturday. I'm quite happy to have the batting team umpire therefore eliminating LBW's and close runouts than an elderly pensioner or a uni student that needs the cash.
This statement is not to sling shit at the umpiring fratenity but merely state that in my opinion more umpires is not necessarily better. We do need umpires, but good ones. Bad decisions will be made but less frequent. Pay the good umpires what they are worth and slide the payment scale according to the umpire rating. I have no problem paying a good umpire $200 a week but do struggle at the thought of paying $110 to umpires in anything below C grade. If Davo happens to come up with enough umpires to fill down to E grade there will be clubs forking out $500 odd every week.

I dont know wether your role as a moderator CC gives you license to offer up this diatribe as a means of just stirring the pot to get a reaction, without really having the conviction of your words, anyway i will have a go
I have always found the umpiring in the DVCA to be generally of a very good standard over a long period of time, sure you always have your shockers but they are generally edged out by means of natural attrition and selection via feedback. Your double standards are truly amazing when you say you are not slinging off at the umps when that is exactly what you have done. Believe it or not every level of cricket has these problems, even test umpires have made some terrible mistakes, but that is the unique nature of our great game.Umpires just have to call it as they see it, nothing more nothing less
The new recruits this year have created debate, some good some bad, but they have a basic right to join up and have a crack, it is not test cricket it is park cricket. You made a good point re: payment scales and this may be implemented if the umps and the DVCA want to vote it in. This may be an incentive for umps to strive higher and improve their performance
Perhaps potential umps who read your garbage would immediately be turned off, and contrary to what you say the more the merrier
In another post you said you do not appeal unless you are sure, oh mate pllleeaasseee!! was all that yelling and screaming into umps faces over the years just an abberation, give us all a break
All of the great unwashed out here in park cricket land can not wait fot the day when you don the black pants and grace us with your presence adjudicating a game of cricket, but then i doubt if that would ever happen as then you would not be the centre of attention, or that in fact Davo could find a white hat to go over your considerable ego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back