DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just writing on here to seek people's opinions on an issue that i find troubling in the region.

Over the past four seasons Camrea cricket club has approached young cricketers at my club to try to lure them across, on each occasion this has been a kid still playing juniors or just finished juniors and on each occasion the players has told Camrea no and let the club know about it.

On the first couple of occasions we let it go but it's getting ridiculous that every year they seem to have a go at one of our young cricketers, I'm wondering if any other clubs in the region are having this problem with Camrea or other clubs trying to poach successful juniors who are too young to properly understand the wheelings and dealings of loacl cricket.

I would like to suggest to Camrea to concentrate on keeping it's own juniors happy and retaining them rather than trying to poach kids from other clubs that they have invested enormous time and effort developing, and i'm now starting to see why Camrea weren't like in thier previous comp.

Not a great situation and I am sure there will be people on here that will come up with grand plans to ensure clubs do not poach kids, especially ones they have put time and money into. However in the real world we have to deal with these clubs and all I can suggest is to make sure you inform kids that this could happen and provide an environment where they will enjoy their cricket and see the benefits that staying around hold.

Yes they should concentrate on their own backyard but they have obviously seen poaching as an easy way out. No amount of rules and regulations will stop clubs, make sure your backyard is a place the kids want to be and that's all you can do.

Just writing on here to seek people's opinions on an issue that i find troubling in the region.

Over the past four seasons Camrea cricket club has approached young cricketers at my club to try to lure them across, on each occasion this has been a kid still playing juniors or just finished juniors and on each occasion the players has told Camrea no and let the club know about it.

On the first couple of occasions we let it go but it's getting ridiculous that every year they seem to have a go at one of our young cricketers, I'm wondering if any other clubs in the region are having this problem with Camrea or other clubs trying to poach successful juniors who are too young to properly understand the wheelings and dealings of loacl cricket.

I would like to suggest to Camrea to concentrate on keeping it's own juniors happy and retaining them rather than trying to poach kids from other clubs that they have invested enormous time and effort developing, and i'm now starting to see why Camrea weren't like in thier previous comp.

I take it that your club has only home grown players playing ? Most players did play junior cricket somewhere, so I think you have a look at where all your players came from before you start this dribble about poaching . I dont know what club you are from but could it be that some of these kids are asked to come down from their mates and not officials ? Could the parents of these kids you say have been poached know someone at the said club be friends of people at that club therefore a connection. Remember kids love to talk up how they have been poached yet have never officially been. As for not been liked
in the other comp I think that was envy.
Just an opinion

I take it that your club has only home grown players playing ? Most players did play junior cricket somewhere, so I think you have a look at where all your players came from before you start this dribble about poaching . I dont know what club you are from but could it be that some of these kids are asked to come down from their mates and not officials ? Could the parents of these kids you say have been poached know someone at the said club be friends of people at that club therefore a connection. Remember kids love to talk up how they have been poached yet have never officially been. As for not been liked
in the other comp I think that was envy.
Just an opinion

To be honest my club does have predominantly home grown players, but my club has certainly never sought to lure juniors from other clubs, and i might add if my club did partake in such a thing i certainly wouldn't be there any longer.

I can also assure you that i realise that on some occasions kids get excited about getting offers and talk things up but when young players at my club come to me in confidence quite upset about pressure being put on them by another club to come across (By officials), I don't think it's a matter of talking themselves up or having a mate ask them down.

And cow corner, i realise that it's difficult to police such a thing and i think your post makes a lot of sense, we are in fact quite proud that none of the kids in question decided to leave and are all currently playing in our seniors, It just seems such a horrible side to local cricket, and i really feel for clubs who do lose kids to such tactics.

To be honest my club does have predominantly home grown players, but my club has certainly never sought to lure juniors from other clubs, and i might add if my club did partake in such a thing i certainly wouldn't be there any longer.

I can also assure you that i realise that on some occasions kids get excited about getting offers and talk things up but when young players at my club come to me in confidence quite upset about pressure being put on them by another club to come across (By officials), I don't think it's a matter of talking themselves up or having a mate ask them down.

And cow corner, i realise that it's difficult to police such a thing and i think your post makes a lot of sense, we are in fact quite proud that none of the kids in question decided to leave and are all currently playing in our seniors, It just seems such a horrible side to local cricket, and i really feel for clubs who do lose kids to such tactics.

It's quite interesting as to why you would bring something like this up. If it is true that a player in your club was asked if he would be interested in talking to Camrea, and that may be true, why would you then make such a rash generalisation as to say that poaching is habitual with them. I hope that you dont have some vendetta against the club, or perhaps envious or jealous with the immediate success they have had in the competition. No one leaves their club unless they are either unhappy, selfish and want their ego stroked with the prospect of money, or simply would like to improve the standard of cricket they are playing. So if the young man that you are referring to leaves to join Camrea, then it's not Camrea that you should be upset with, rather your own organisation that obviously is doing something wrong that it would allow one of it's players to leave.

It also always interests me that people like you are critical of club's like Camrea, who have done nothing more than do everything within their rightful powers to ensure the continued success of their club. And we only need to look at their record over the past 20 years to conclude that this club must be doing most things right. It's time you just accepted that some club's, like Camrea, are driven for success, and not just content playing 'park' cricket for fun and a few beers after the game. If that's not acceptable to you, then you are more than welcome to continue on your path. Interesting thing is though that I'm the boys at Camrea also love to have fun and enjoy a few beers after the game. Difference is perhaps that they like to do it whilst celebrating Premierships. After all, isn't that what every club's ultimate aim is? And if you answer 'no' to that question then that would explain your bitterness toward them.

Please stop making comment on a club that you personally have absolutely no idea about. There are always two sides to every story.

It's quite interesting as to why you would bring something like this up. If it is true that a player in your club was asked if he would be interested in talking to Camrea, and that may be true, why would you then make such a rash generalisation as to say that poaching is habitual with them. I hope that you dont have some vendetta against the club, or perhaps envious or jealous with the immediate success they have had in the competition. No one leaves their club unless they are either unhappy, selfish and want their ego stroked with the prospect of money, or simply would like to improve the standard of cricket they are playing. So if the young man that you are referring to leaves to join Camrea, then it's not Camrea that you should be upset with, rather your own organisation that obviously is doing something wrong that it would allow one of it's players to leave.

It also always interests me that people like you are critical of club's like Camrea, who have done nothing more than do everything within their rightful powers to ensure the continued success of their club. And we only need to look at their record over the past 20 years to conclude that this club must be doing most things right. It's time you just accepted that some club's, like Camrea, are driven for success, and not just content playing 'park' cricket for fun and a few beers after the game. If that's not acceptable to you, then you are more than welcome to continue on your path. Interesting thing is though that I'm the boys at Camrea also love to have fun and enjoy a few beers after the game. Difference is perhaps that they like to do it whilst celebrating Premierships. After all, isn't that what every club's ultimate aim is? And if you answer 'no' to that question then that would explain your bitterness toward them.

Please stop making comment on a club that you personally have absolutely no idea about. There are always two sides to every story.

Good points.
But I believe the argument was against poaching kids, not only players as a whole.
Senior players are fair-game in my mind and can come and go as they please, as you have pointed out, but any club's junior cricketers should be left alone, in my opinion.

I'll respond to your comments that i have put in bold,

1. If you read my post carefully you would see that i wrote over the past four years, the fact that 4 different juniors have been targeted over four years suggests to me that it's not at all a "rash generalisation".

2. The "young men" in question did not leave to join camrea, they in fact all stayed (again i wrote this in previous post)

3. The whole point of what i have said is that i don't think it's within a club's rightful powers (whether camrea or other) to target and seduce junior cricketers from other clubs.

4. I can assure you that my club plays cricket very hard and for success, hence the enourmous time and effort we put into our juniors

And i certainly have no "vendetta" against Camrea... other than that time and time again someone from thier club is trying to poach our juniors, I infact know quite a few of the senior players at Camrea well and have no problems with them.

I'm also not writing on here to launch a campaign against camrea i know of other clubs who are engaging in these tactics i'm simply sick of it and sought other people's views on the issue.

1. If you read my post carefully you would see that i wrote over the past four years, the fact that 4 different juniors have been targeted over four years suggests to me that it's not at all a "rash generalisation".

2. The "young men" in question did not leave to join camrea, they in fact all stayed (again i wrote this in previous post)

3. The whole point of what i have said is that i don't think it's within a club's rightful powers (whether camrea or other) to target and seduce junior cricketers from other clubs.

4. I can assure you that my club plays cricket very hard and for success, hence the enourmous time and effort we put into our juniors

And i certainly have no "vendetta" against Camrea... other than that time and time again someone from thier club is trying to poach our juniors, I infact know quite a few of the senior players at Camrea well and have no problems with them.

I'm also not writing on here to launch a campaign against camrea i know of other clubs who are engaging in these tactics i'm simply sick of it and sought other people's views on the issue.

Who are the players targeted? I find it very hard to believe junior players would be chased to play in the Barclay Shield. How old are these juniors? Is there an age range in which we classify juniors? For me anyone 17 or under is a junior. After that there a senior cricketer and as has happened for a long long time are free and open to go to any club they please. Camrea CC have been successful because of their ambitious and successful environment. I cant understand why a player would not want to play in a top 4 Barclay side if there own team is nowhere near success IMO.

I accept what you're saying but I still have great concerns about the accusations that the club has been poaching 'junior' players. I would also be very upset if that were the case. However as far as I am aware this has never been the case, and in fact our club, like yours, has always frowned on anyone trying to poach young cricketers. That's why I would be very interested to know if in fact your young players were approached by officials of the club, or simply by 'mates' who may have discussed the possibility of them joining'?

I accept what you're saying but I still have great concerns about the accusations that the club has been poaching 'junior' players. I would also be very upset if that were the case. However as far as I am aware this has never been the case, and in fact our club, like yours, has always frowned on anyone trying to poach young cricketers. That's why I would be very interested to know if in fact your young players were approached by officials of the club, or simply by 'mates' who may have discussed the possibility of them joining'?

Cisco, to answer your question of the 4 players who have come to me complaining of being approached i know 3 were certainly club officials the other name i got i haven't heard before, and to the other post trying to decide what a " junior" is I certianly consider kids who are in fact playing in my clubs juniors to be a junior ...
But I truly didn't want this post to become a war against Camrea CC i know of other clubs who seem to be going down this path and i only mentioned camrea as they seem to have taken a particular interest in my club's juniors which has upset us.
I merely wanted to find out whether this is happening across the board.

Cisco, to answer your question of the 4 players who have come to me complaining of being approached i know 3 were certainly club officials the other name i got i haven't heard before, and to the other post trying to decide what a " junior" is I certianly consider kids who are in fact playing in my clubs juniors to be a junior ...
But I truly didn't want this post to become a war against Camrea CC i know of other clubs who seem to be going down this path and i only mentioned camrea as they seem to have taken a particular interest in my club's juniors which has upset us.
I merely wanted to find out whether this is happening across the board.

Well when you directly mention a club you intentionally/or unintentionally are having a go at them. Would love to know your clubs name not player names just club name. I don't know how accurate this claim is? Kids playing juniors approached by top 4 Barclay team sounds a bit rich to me. They'd have to be very good players to be approached i would assume. Happy to be proven wrong :D

Well when you directly mention a club you intentionally/or unintentionally are having a go at them. Would love to know your clubs name not player names just club name. I don't know how accurate this claim is? Kids playing juniors approached by top 4 Barclay team sounds a bit rich to me. They'd have to be very good players to be approached i would assume. Happy to be proven wrong :D

Driveway, I haven't said i wasn't having a go at Camrea, In fact clearly I am, What i wrote was that my intention is not to start an anti camrea campaign, rather i wanted to know whether this is happening across the board at other clubs in different areas because if it is i think it's VERY sad for cricket in the area, and that The cricketers in question certainly are good cricketers and more than capable of playing A grade but Camrea weren't in Barclay when 2 of them were approached, I can't name names as i have been told by these kids in confidence and won't betray that, but i can assure you other than this i have no greivances with Camrea and think they are a super successfull and generally very well run club, who play hard and fair on the field, and it may in fact be the act of a couple of officials going after these kids without the knowledge of the rest of the club, but i certainly hope it stops.

i dont think eltham will struggle in money shield ,even though there is younger people in the team. I dont think they will be troubled, even though there wont be much pace on the ball all good players adapt to conditions. As for minney i wish him luck and look forward to seeing him rack up the runs[/quo
ive played alot of cricket in both A and b grade im not sure if you have seen money sheild lately but its a fairly tough division teams are so even anyone can beat anyone on there day and its a division where alot of younger guys get a game and they are unpredictable..which is why its such a hard divi to call and not much pace comminng on smith,mctagget,morrissey and mickelson hit the bat pretty hard

I have herd that mont have have a few good and young players leaving this year any truth??????

Word has it lower plenty will b in trouble with a fair few leaving aswell?

Any truth chris pain is also going to eltham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back