DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Player movements and rumours

100% BULL;401063 said:
I'm hearing whispers that the gun bat, bowler & keeper that joined our ranks last season from Jika may be heading back there. Can you shed any light on that Cold Case?

Could be. Dont know. If it's true, then it will come out sooner than later. :D

This board has so much shite discussed at the best of times, be gee it is flying even more so now! Willo has recently (a few months ago) signed on again as coach. Adam Dale would get a million phone calls at this time of year, so there are no favourites at all at this stage.

Have there actually been any OFFICIAL moves other than the Tags deal to NEW?

Tongs;401409 said:
This board has so much shite discussed at the best of times, be gee it is flying even more so now! Willo has recently (a few months ago) signed on again as coach. Adam Dale would get a million phone calls at this time of year, so there are no favourites at all at this stage.

So Eltham offered Adam 15k? I assume so, cos I did not mention a player or club!

Tongs;401409 said:

Hey Tings, I hear a bloke called Quinlan has been cleared to the St Martha's 3rd 11 lesbian biker team.

Nah just kidding Thong, isn't the rumours something thats funny about this forum? Ease up Tong it ain't all that bad.

:D:D:D:D

And nothing can be official until clearances open, which they haven't so rumours is all we have.

serg fernandez;397878 said:
My mail says it is Luke Anderson from Rosanna CC.

Your mail is correct. Luke Anderson will captain/coach Montmorency for season 2010/2011.

I see a couple of clubs (1 Barclay, 1 Money) are trying to pry a 17yo kid of good potential from his current Barclay junior club. Kid played Barclay 1`s as a 15yo before trying out down the line last season, has indicated he would be back at DVCA level this season. Has a good relationship with current club, but may come under pressure if chaseing clubs offer him coin. Don`t know about everyone else, but I have a serious issue of clubs targetting the good kids of others in this manner. One of the clubs sprooks it`s successful junior program of long standing, whilst the other has let it`s juniors almost vanish. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

If he loves his junior club he'll stay. If they don't look after him, he'll leave. He's free to play for anyone he wants and he owes no one anything. I haven't got a problem with any club offering anyone cash. It all part of life.

turbo;402441 said:
I see a couple of clubs (1 Barclay, 1 Money) are trying to pry a 17yo kid of good potential from his current Barclay junior club. Kid played Barclay 1`s as a 15yo before trying out down the line last season, has indicated he would be back at DVCA level this season. Has a good relationship with current club, but may come under pressure if chaseing clubs offer him coin. Don`t know about everyone else, but I have a serious issue of clubs targetting the good kids of others in this manner. One of the clubs sprooks it`s successful junior program of long standing, whilst the other has let it`s juniors almost vanish. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I don't have a problem with it. You have to look at the big picture if you pick up a good 17 year old and get 15 plus good years out of him its a worth while project!
I do agree 17 year olds should no be chasing coin, but if the right deal at the right club is made half he's luck! If he has enjoyed junior cricket at 1 club then that club should be bending over backwards to keep him.

turbo;402441 said:

Which clubs?

i have no idea of the player in question but not sure how much $$$ you'd be throwing at any kids straight out of juniors. Can't think of any recently, bar Mitch Johnson and Daniel Cocking that have made the leap from juniors to become good "A" grade players in a short period and i don't think you are refferring to either of them.

On a seperate note, heard that Luke Rosbrook may be headed back to Carlton with Scott Barnett spruiked as a likely replacement........
( looks like bad mail as i just had a look on Plenty website and Rozzi has already posted the 2010/11 pre season schedule )

turbo;402441 said:

From what I understand the kid has been spruiking himself that he isn't interested in going to what is left of his former Club, as the Club in question - "Research" - no longer exists, they took the easy option and joined with another "half-club".

I honestly can't see the difference between speaking to a young player that may give you 10 years of good cricket, and Clubs continually ringing the likes of Minney, Whitcher, Hurst, etc who are all very loyal players - at the end of the day if Clubs want to offer 17 y.o's coin then they do so at their own peril - if he turns out no good then they have wasted their time and money, otherwise good luck.

absoluteglam;402527 said:
From what I understand the kid has been spruiking himself that he isn't interested in going to what is left of his former Club, as the Club in question - "Research" - no longer exists, they took the easy option and joined with another "half-club".

I honestly can't see the difference between speaking to a young player that may give you 10 years of good cricket, and Clubs continually ringing the likes of Minney, Whitcher, Hurst, etc who are all very loyal players - at the end of the day if Clubs want to offer 17 y.o's coin then they do so at their own peril - if he turns out no good then they have wasted their time and money, otherwise good luck.

Just on Research, i noticed the DV website has announced the merger formally with the new club to be called "RESEARCH".

Still not sure who the kid is but clubs need to be wary of dangling money in front of kids who show promise in juniors.

I vividly recall Research offering a young bloke a second hand car and generous incentives to switch clubs after a promising u/16season. In hindsight, i think Research would be extremely happy i said no:D:D

Bundoora;402528 said:
Just on Research, i noticed the DV website has announced the merger formally with the new club to be called "RESEARCH".

Still not sure who the kid is but clubs need to be wary of dangling money in front of kids who show promise in juniors.

I vividly recall Research offering a young bloke a second hand car and generous incentives to switch clubs after a promising u/16season. In hindsight, i think Research would be extremely happy i said no:D:D

Especially after seeing your stumps get cleaned up about 6 times at a Sunday morning training session!LOL

absoluteglam;402527 said:

The players you mentioned have the score on the board, so in a sense you have a fair idea what your getting. Just to fill everyone in on how it`s all tracking at Research. It is all going very well with everyone committed (apart from Tags), hopefully Soysa back from Sri Lanka and another A grade player who had the season off back as well. At this stage I evisage that with the talent at our disposal, it will not only be a successful Barcalay season but a successful season for the club as a whole. As for the young bloke weighing up his options......I`m sure he will come to the right conclusion based on what he wants to achieve, and we encourage him to do so!

brutal;402580 said:
Especially after seeing your stumps get cleaned up about 6 times at a Sunday morning training session!LOL

Coley got me 4 out of 5 balls i faced from him, in my defence, the other ball was a beautiful cover drive and i was still a bit on edge after getting a lift with Decka through the back streets of Eltham North, suffice to say he was a little worse for wear at 9am on a Sunday!!

The phrase "Jump before i was pushed" comes to mind.

Bundoora;402609 said:
Coley got me 4 out of 5 balls i faced from him, in my defence, the other ball was a beautiful cover drive and i was still a bit on edge after getting a lift with Decka through the back streets of Eltham North, suffice to say he was a little worse for wear at 9am on a Sunday!!

The phrase "Jump before i was pushed" comes to mind.

Good old Decka! Drank his payment in pots and holds the record for the largest slate ever accrued in Research Cricket Club history.

brutal;402625 said:
Good old Decka! Drank his payment in pots and holds the record for the largest slate ever accrued in Research Cricket Club history.

Not Decka again! Owes me about 2 large.

He rang me last year and asked for his bat he left behind 6 years ago!

Bundoora;402528 said:

Just on that note - Will Eltham College be forgotten all together now? Or will they be given some sort of recognition in a new name/logo for the merged clubs?

Research Collegians or something similar would be a good fit, but I don't know the finer details of the merger agreement..?

captain cuzz;402713 said:
Just on that note - Will Eltham College be forgotten all together now? Or will they be given some sort of recognition in a new name/logo for the merged clubs?

Research Collegians or something similar would be a good fit, but I don't know the finer details of the merger agreement..?

Its a difficult one to make a call on as to what significance "Eltham College" will have under the Research banner, but I think the new name may be a pretty clear early sign.

I doubt that the Eltham College students would've played for that club if it wasn't called Eltham College, and school friends talked each other into playing for them, followed by talking friends of school friends into joining with them. -like 99% of us, you're going to play with the club most local to where you live. So, it will be interesting to see how many students (if any), decide that being an Eltham Collegian, you have an allegiance to "Research".

As an outsider, my opinion of Eltham College Cricket Club, is that its a club focused (referring to the 1st XI) predominately on how competetive a group of mates can be when put up against a team of other blokes, -of whom are concerned mainly on representing their local community cricket club. The guys in the 2nd XI and below were very superficial, and very much just hangers-on, and seen by the 1st XI as "revenue raisers" or "payers of incentives".
They never had any involvement in the local community, and never had any interest development of youngsters.

I question what Research's motivation was to take them over. All they will get out of it is a nice ground for their 3rds & 4ths to play on, some players to top up their lower grades, and 1 or 2 players capable of playing Barclay Shield.

I'll make a prediction: Last year, Eltham College had 13 players that played 6 games or more in their Money Shield team. Of those 13, I reckon there will be a maximum of 3 that will be playing for Research in season 2011-12.

Whatever the motivation is for the 2 clubs to merge is unknown to me. What i do know, is that its the end of Eltham College CC, and thats 1 less win the Morang-u-tangs can pencil in at the start of each season.

Anyway, congrats to Research in accuring the new facilities, and good luck to the Eltham College boys at your new club....wherever that may be. ;)

legend of a bear;402735 said:
Its a difficult one to make a call on as to what significance "Eltham College" will have under the Research banner, but I think the new name may be a pretty clear early sign.

I doubt that the Eltham College students would've played for that club if it wasn't called Eltham College, and school friends talked each other into playing for them, followed by talking friends of school friends into joining with them. -like 99% of us, you're going to play with the club most local to where you live. So, it will be interesting to see how many students (if any), decide that being an Eltham Collegian, you have an allegiance to "Research".

As an outsider, my opinion of Eltham College Cricket Club, is that its a club focused (referring to the 1st XI) predominately on how competetive a group of mates can be when put up against a team of other blokes, -of whom are concerned mainly on representing their local community cricket club. The guys in the 2nd XI and below were very superficial, and very much just hangers-on, and seen by the 1st XI as "revenue raisers" or "payers of incentives".
They never had any involvement in the local community, and never had any interest development of youngsters.

I question what Research's motivation was to take them over. All they will get out of it is a nice ground for their 3rds & 4ths to play on, some players to top up their lower grades, and 1 or 2 players capable of playing Barclay Shield.

I'll make a prediction: Last year, Eltham College had 13 players that played 6 games or more in their Money Shield team. Of those 13, I reckon there will be a maximum of 3 that will be playing for Research in season 2011-12.

Whatever the motivation is for the 2 clubs to merge is unknown to me. What i do know, is that its the end of Eltham College CC, and thats 1 less win the Morang-u-tangs can pencil in at the start of each season.

Anyway, congrats to Research in accuring the new facilities, and good luck to the Eltham College boys at your new club....wherever that may be. ;)

Be interesting to see how long the school opens up the facilities to the Combine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back