Eating healthy, in general

s_ossy

Eating healthy, in general

Liz, I'm sure you could give me a few pointers for this one...Sorry its a bit off the cricket subject.
I'm just trying to cut out the junk food and just start eating a little healthier! Here in Zimbabwe, not much is available in terms of fancy foods! In fact, simple things like bread, milk and eggs are often hard to come by!

I have just started a job in my gap year here. My hours are 8 to 4.30, Monday to Friday. (I play 35-over cricket on a Saturday!) At the moment I'm having eggs for breakfast- fried or scrambled or poached or french toast. I then drink a few cups of tea or coffee throughout the morning. I take sandwiches and maybe a salad for lunch at 1, sometimes a cup-a-soup! Usually hungry when I get home at 5... can't resist a few pieces of toast! And finally have a full meat and veg dinner at around 7.

I'm worried that I'm having too much bread? I try eat brown whole-what when it's available. What other small snacky things are good throughout the day? I'm wanting to have small quantities more frequently to get to the recommended 6 small meals a day. Just need to know a few more healthier options. Perhaps more fruit? :confused:

Re: Eating healthy, in general

s_ossy said:

Perhaps more fruit? :confused:

It is hard when there is little choice. Fruit [or raw vegetables] is always my first choice; I never go anywhere without a banana ;) and bottles of water. My sons are convinced that I am actually a mineral water salesperson; you can't open a car door without a few bottles falling out.

Bags of nuts and seeds are a good snack too.

Toast is actually quite a nice food to come home to... comforting. If you like to keep to the toast at 5, try to add a little pasta or rice to your salad at lunch instead of the bread; even better if you can get wholemeal versions in Zimbabwe.

Good fast and convenient foods are cans of baked beans, sweetcorn and tuna [if you can get it] don't forget the can opener and fork/spoon ;)

And remember, you can eat wholegrain cereal anytime of day!

Cup-a-soups are OK but make sure you have the low sodium variety.

Basically, look to increasing the fruit and veg intake and increase your water intake during the day.

Hi Liz;
Is it advisable to have Nuts like Almonds,Cashewnut,Apricot alongwith a glass of milk that too during breakfast & at night before sleeping.

Yes Virender, though it would not be enough for me for breakfast; I need a little more to kick start my metabolism [wake it up ;)]

As for night time, not too close to sleeping; I would like to make sure that there is nothing left in the tract to come back and choke you.

Having said all that, nutritionally, milk, dried fruit and nuts are great - a complete food.

PS Milk and a banana at bedtime is great too.

Both milk and bananas contain a large amount of tryptophan - an amino acid that is a precursor for serotonin (an inhibiting brain neurotransmitter). This makes them calming foods that can be eaten before bedtime to benefit sleep.

On top of all their other many plus benefits; the combination contain all the major nutrients.

Thanks so much Liz, will try things out whenever they are available!!!
Another thing i forgot to ask... is peanut butter good for you? :laugh: One thing we can still get! :laugh:

I can't being to imagine what it is like to have so many restrictions placed upon what you can and can't buy, although I guess on the upside as long as you have the basics it probably means you'll eat better than having unlimited access to all sorts.

s_ossy said:
Thanks so much Liz, will try things out whenever they are available!!!
Another thing i forgot to ask... is peanut butter good for you? :laugh: One thing we can still get! :laugh:
Suppose it may be bad if it's eaten too much.Try the lower fat versions if you tend to eat it a lot.I'm sure others can add more detailed info!

Actually, peanut butter is extremely good for you, the most common brand has 95% peanuts; the rest being sugar, stabilisers and sea salt. As Dikon says, peanuts are high in fat but....

Peanuts are not actually nuts; it's a bean that grows underground like potatoes.

However, peanuts and peanut butter contain high levels of fibre and protein, as well as many valuable vitamins and minerals such as all B vitamins except B12, vitamin E, calcium and iron. They are an excellent source of unsaturated fat and contain particularly beneficial monounsaturates which are also found in olive oil. Like all vegetables, peanuts contain no cholesterol.

Don't forget the minerals that are lost through sweating such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iron, chloride, sulphur, lithium, manganese as well as the trace elements selenium, chromium, phosphorous, zinc and iodine found in the sea salt ;)

Combining peanuts with rice, pulses or grains provides a 'complete' protein, which is why a peanut butter sandwich is hard to beat as an inexpensive, nutritious snack.

However, one cup of peanuts contains almost a full day's quota of fat! [Did I sneak that in well?] Actually, all nuts are high in fat, mainly good fat though but including nuts in a diet should be as a substitute to other high fat foods, not in addition.

Never fear, there is a new peanut in town! There is a new program that fortifies and expands the work to enhance, through breeding, the genetic diversity of peanut plants and to come up with superior peanut products, high in oleic acid.

Indeed, since scientific research revealed that oleic acid may promote lower serum cholesterol levels and so help prevent heart disease, a growing number of high oleic ('good' fat) peanuts have become available to peanut growers. Just not sure that they have become available to peanut eaters… yet!

Wow thanks Liz!

And yes almost_austwick... there's not a huge temptation to indulge in anything other than the basics, if that!!!

In the beginning God covered the earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, with green, yellow and red vegetables of all kinds so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's bountiful gifts, Satan created Dairy Ice Cream and Magnums. And Satan said, 'You want hot fudge with that? And Man said, 'Yes!' And Woman said, 'I'll have one too with chocolate chips'. And lo they gained 10 pounds.

And God created the healthy yoghurt that woman might keep the figure that man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 12 to size 14.

So God said, 'Try my fresh green salad'. And Satan presented Blue Cheese dressing and garlic croutons on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said 'I have sent you healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them'.

And Satan brought forth deep fried coconut king prawns, butter-dipped lobster chunks and chicken fried steak, so big it needed its own platter, and Man's cholesterol went through the roof.

Then God brought forth the potato; naturally low in fat and brimming with potassium and good nutrition.

Then Satan peeled off the healthy skin and sliced the starchy centre into chips and deep-fried them in animal fats adding copious quantities of salt. And Man put on more pounds. God then brought forth running shoes so that his Children might lose those extra pounds.

And Satan came forth with a cable TV with remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and started wearing stretch jogging suits.

Then God gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.

And Satan created McDonalds and the 99p double cheeseburger. Then Satan said 'You want fries with that?' and Man replied, 'Yes, and super size 'em'. And Satan said, 'It is good.' And Man and Woman went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed ......... and created quadruple by-pass surgery.

:laugh: :laugh:
Very nice Liz

"Let there be low-fat yogurt" - I think I missed this line in the Bible???

Liz Ward said:
In the beginning God covered the earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, with green, yellow and red vegetables of all kinds so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's bountiful gifts, Satan created Dairy Ice Cream and Magnums. And Satan said, 'You want hot fudge with that? And Man said, 'Yes!' And Woman said, 'I'll have one too with chocolate chips'. And lo they gained 10 pounds.

And God created the healthy yoghurt that woman might keep the figure that man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 12 to size 14.

So God said, 'Try my fresh green salad'. And Satan presented Blue Cheese dressing and garlic croutons on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said 'I have sent you healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them'.

And Satan brought forth deep fried coconut king prawns, butter-dipped lobster chunks and chicken fried steak, so big it needed its own platter, and Man's cholesterol went through the roof.

Then God brought forth the potato; naturally low in fat and brimming with potassium and good nutrition.

Then Satan peeled off the healthy skin and sliced the starchy centre into chips and deep-fried them in animal fats adding copious quantities of salt. And Man put on more pounds. God then brought forth running shoes so that his Children might lose those extra pounds.

And Satan came forth with a cable TV with remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and started wearing stretch jogging suits.

Then God gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.

And Satan created McDonalds and the 99p double cheeseburger. Then Satan said 'You want fries with that?' and Man replied, 'Yes, and super size 'em'. And Satan said, 'It is good.' And Man and Woman went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed ......... and created quadruple by-pass surgery.

And then came scientists like Richard Dawkins who gave due credit to the scientific progress being made by man and not an imaginary being in the sky :laugh:

Back