ECB Chairman Tries to Cancel Zimbabwe's arrival

Timed Out

ECB Chairman Tries to Cancel Zimbabwe's arrival

ECB chairman Giles Clarke held low-key talks with Peter Chingoka, the chairman of Zimbabwe Cricket, in Johannesburg last week where it is reported that discussions took place about forthcoming tours between the two countries and the ICC World Twenty20 scheduled to take place in England in 2009.

Clarke's visit was very much below the radar and was not reported in the UK media. That it happened at all only emerged when Zimbabwe's Independent newspaper claimed that Clarke had offered to pay ZC £200,000 if it withdrew from the proposed tour to England in 2009.

All sounds a bit dodgey to me and i don't agree with paying people to quit tours but it seems once again to be politics and cricket getting mixed together again.

Re: ECB Chairman Tries to Cancel Zimbabwe's arrival

The thing is, Zimbabwe is a dangerous place, and it doesnt have to be, the leader doesnt want to change his way, so we need to make sure our cricketers dont get mixed in with it!

But isnt it them coming here for the tour and its only being stopped on moral grounds against mugabe's reign.

Even if they come here, it still fuels his riegn of terror, if we stop Zimbabwe all together, his downfall will come.

It's a disgrace that Zimbabwe are still allowed on the international scene. I applaud the action.

Is paying them off the right thing to do though? Surely Mugabe will just knick the money, just cancel the tour and dont pay them.

Very good to hear.Zimbabwe have the makings of a decent side if all the politics stop.How long is Mugabe going to continue for?Sure i heard he's 70 odd can't have long left in him.

Just because Mugabe is in charge, doesnt mean when he leaves it'll be a quick fix, although it'll be better, theres deep rooted reasons as to why no one wants to associate with Zimbabwe.

Simbazz said:
Just because Mugabe is in charge, doesnt mean when he leaves it'll be a quick fix, although it'll be better, theres deep rooted reasons as to why no one wants to associate with Zimbabwe.
Mugabe and his regime is a massive part of it.Once democracy is restored the country and it's sport will improve.

It will indeed, but like i say, it'll take a while after Mugabe's fallen for it to get right.

why pay zimbabwe for not playing. the zimbabwean players are hard working and are doing a good job but people need to take a stance against the zimbabwean government. thats not achieved by paying them. does mugabe actually care whether they play cricket or not?

Probably not Mike, but i'm sure that this will be the correct way to do it, else the ECB wouldn't have done it this way.

Simbazz said:

These deep rooted reasons are?

Well, for one, one deep rooted reasons would be that Zimbabwe would need to some kind of "recover," from Mugabe's leaving. They'd need to prove themself, like i say, it won't go right straight away.

Back