Edladd's Blog

Re: Edladd's Blog

Rising Damp?

Bit of a disaster this weekend!!

It's been raining pretty much constantly for the last couple of weeks over here - and it's finally managed to do some real damage to our pitch!

We put in a mat at the start of last season when we moved grounds, and on Saturday the firsts game was called off because the top layer of the mat had lifted from the underlay. There was basically a 4 foot square bubble on a length that killed every ball that bounced near it. Then on Sunday morning it was even worse, with a load of standing water on and around the mat and both ends lifted from the ground :(

As it turned out, the games probably would have been off anyway due to the weather (though sunday evening was very nice). But still, I don't know how likely it is that the pitch will be playable by next weekend. We might have some interesting fixture conjestion over the next few weeks!

The thirds managed to get in a half game on Saturday at an away ground. I'm definitely going to have to post some pictures of this place - it's on the grounds of a school that looks a lot like Hogwarts from the Harry Potter films - no kidding. The setting was great - but the pitch was a mess. It was damp and mucky - and it wasn't even really a wicket ... basically just a strip of grass cut short. It didn't even look like it had been rolled! Not that rolling would have helped - it wasn't even level to begin with. There were some odd bounces off it. One coming up at your head if it hits a ridge, and the next skidding through even though it seemed the same length - nightmare.

We lost the toss and were unsurprised to be put in to bat - but then we managed to get the score to 190 in 39.3 overs. I came in at 11 and was involved in a 15 run partnership, of which I put on 0 :p The important thing was to survive until the last over so as not to give the opposition extra ones - which we did. I faced 6 balls, 3 of which were decent yorkers that I managed to jam down on, and the rest I just left or tried to defend. In the last over my batting partner hit one to square leg and started running without calling. I was a bit confused, but started to run - until he stopped in the middle of the wicket and turned to look at the man picking the ball up! After that it kinda went slow motiony ... he tried to get back to his ground, but slipped and ended up in a heap. So then it was up to me to try to beat the ball to the strikers end. Luckily the throw wasn't good and the keeper was busy trying to pick the ball up when I made it in - but unfortunately, my batting partner was too slow getting up and didn't make it to the non-strikers end before that wicket was put down :(

So I ended up with 0* for the third innings in a row ... even after a suicidal attempt to save the other batsman :D

I think all out defense is the way to go with my batting for the moment. Our teams tend to have spectacular collapses meaning that when I come to the wicket we have lots and lots of time. I reckon if I get some time at the crease just getting bat on ball and content not to score, eventually I'll get a better eye and be able to hit out at the ball should the occasion arise.

Also, I'd a taverners match on Friday in Trinity College - a fantastic ground (pics to follow). I batted fairly poorly trying to whack the ball - the idea being to score some runs or get out and let someone else have a go. But kept just missing it. I got two runs off the edge, but never felt remotely comfortable. In the reply, trinity chased 91 with the loss of only one wicket. I bowled my two overs getting 1 for 11. Should have been less runs, but our fielding was poor to say the least. I'm no exception - having let a catch bounce just in front of me and then go for 4 :mad:

Ah well, hopefully we'll have a pitch next week!

Added 41 minute(s) and 13 second(s) later...

Nearly forgot! The wicket I took on friday was a first for a couple of reasons. Firstly because I noticed a flaw in the batsmans technique and was able to expose it. And secondly because it was the first time I intentionally swung the ball!

I spotted that the batsman took guard about 3 inches outside leg stump :? and it occurred to me that the only reason someone would do that was because they were crap off their legs. So I adjusted accordingly and started bowling at his pads. Sure enough he had trouble getting it away. So then I started bowling with the ball angled for outswing, and on the third attempt - it moved late - he missed it - and it hit leg stump :D

I'm sure it won't be every week that the batsman will give a clue that big, but it's progress for me that I'm actually looking for these things.

Ed,
Firstly congrats for staying not out for couple of times.Even if it was 0 ther partnership was very important;it is a confidence booster to u.
Secondly; the superb planning and implementing for getting the batsmen bowled out is an encouraging sight.
Keep up the hard work.
All the best for the next matches :)

The photos were excellent;what a lovely outfield full of green grass.Beautiful background of church.Superb place to play cricket :)
Please do update ur blog with photos & videos.

Which one had the church?

The first two are in a university, so those are all college buildings in the background.

I think you mean the third picture - that building looks a bit like a church I suppose. In fact it is a private primary school (for 5 to 12 year olds)!! :eek:

Very fancy altogether.

On Blogspot (http://edladd.blogspot.com/) I've been a bit better at including the pics as you can add them in the text. There might be a way to do that here too - but I haven't figured it out.

You can add pictures by using
(it has to be hosted somewhere though, or use the album provided on here) or by clicking the little yellow square with a mountain on it, in the reply box when you post a reply.

Ed,
Thanks for the update..
Even the photo title had written school front which I missed..but overall it is a beautiful place to play cricket.
Well here in India it is always hot and humid so the luss green outfield with trees at background is out of question.
So whenever i see photos attached by u guys i really get excited and happy to see u guys enjoying ur cricket in such green areas.I miss such playing conditions.

I have checked the photos in ur blog.......they simply amazing :) :)

ps: how did u get that shocking smiley in the post.

Jelly Beanz;27248 said:
Is it just me or do the smilies and little squares for formatting and stuff not show up now that we've moved to vB??

Go to User CP > Edit Options, right at the bottom there is an option to change Message Editor Interface, select the option 'enhanced interface'.

Mat-fixing allegations :)

We'd a big mat-fixing operation yesterday before training, it certainly seems to have improved matters somewhat - though we won't know how much until we get to bowl on it when it isn't spilling rain!

We all got pretty soaked, and it wasn't ideal bowling conditions with the ball getting very greasy and mis-shapen. I decided I'd play around for a while when bowling and see if I could get the ball to do anything interesting, so I just experimented with a few grips - inswing, outswing and cross-seam, and different wrist positions. I found I was able to get the ball to swing in late a couple of times - which was great, as my natural movement is away-swing. Granted it didn't move very far, but at least it did move. The grip felt awkward though, and in conjunction with the wet ball made for a few wides and full tosses. It's definitely something to work on though.

During the day yesterday too we had our little work-related indoor game. First time around with the bat I felt I played well. I was playing at anything straight with the full face of the bat, and without trying to score it was getting punched back past the bowler for a couple and kept the tally ticking over. Unfortunately I didn't learn from this and in my second batting stint I was trying to score runs and ended up getting caught very quickly :mad: I really need a lot more experience in the middle to get the mental side of my batting right. If I concentrate on just watching the ball and getting the bat on it late I might have some hope of sneaking runs - whereas if I go after the bowling I usually can't see the ball at all and end up swiping at fresh air while the ball is busy beating the stumps to death. I'll stick with the patient approach, it'll come good one of these days :D

Tomorrow would be a good day for that to happen ... we've a first round cup game against a team that hammered us two weeks ago - bowled us out for just 60 :blink: I got 0* in that game without facing. Unfortunately, at the moment we only have 9 players (8 that will be there on time), so it could be a tough day! Batting the overs will be the main plan I think. If we can get through them there's a good chance we'll have a defendable total (anything over 120 I think is possible on our ground) and we won't be able to blame the missing batsmen for our score.

Obviously it will be tough fielding with 9, but we've done it successfully before and the skipper is canny enough to come up with a good plan I reckon. A big part of it is going to be for the bowlers to be consistent in their line. Ideally we'd be looking at a 6-1 off side field - but I don't think that's possible for Junior C bowling.

I'm actually looking forward to it though ... weather permitting of course.

Hi edladd.

I also have issues concentrating while batting. But I went on a building confidence course (through work). And from there they gave me a great idea. Basically 'Think it, Ink it'. If you read something it is more likely to mean something to you. A good example of this is the Williams sisters who have a little book with phrases such as 'You will win Wimbledon' wrote on it. So I have now wrote little phrases on my Batting gloves. Simple things like 'Head down', 'Play straight' and most important for me 'Focus'. If I play a silly shot I just look down at my gloves and it brings me back to a state of mind ready to play well.

Try it it might work. Let me know how you get on if you do. And I will post a pic of my gloves just to prove I'm not having you on (but wont be untill later today)

Yes definately. I would totaly advocate this to anyone who finds the mental side of batting a struggle. Just don't let this consume all of your attention. You still need to address the basics of batting too! Which can only come with playing more.

I'd well believe it Slass. Just keeping the blog has made a big difference to my game in terms of making me think about what I do. I do tend to have problems remembering what I should be doing in the middle and get out for no reason. I'm starting to be OK in nets, and in recent weeks have been OK in the middle. Definitely I think the key for me will be getting a repeatable routine between balls that really lets me focus. A note on the gloves or somewhere might be just the thing, I'll try it tomorrow, cheers.

wolf;27262 said:
Go to User CP > Edit Options, right at the bottom there is an option to change Message Editor Interface, select the option 'enhanced interface'.

Woooolffffff,

Thanks for the info,
first i was :confused: not having smiley and then :( and then :sleep: slept over the issue finally ed's suggestion:rolleyes: helped and ur update has been :D:thumbup1::thumbup: and now i am :biggrin thanks to u.

umm yeah...

But yeah, thanks wolf that's made it go back to normal:)

I agree Ed, keeping a blog has made me think about my game more as well. I guess it helps to get your thoughts down on paper (well, web-pages)

Cups all round

Fantastic weekend for the club. We had 4 games, three of which were in cups, and we won all 4! Including the final of a 20-20 cup on Saturday. This is actually the first time our club has ever won a cup since our founding in 1984 so a historic event :D

I didn't get to see the game as we were busy winning the first round of the 50 over Minor Cup :) We were playing a side that had hammered us recently - bowling us out for just 60, so we were up for some revenge. And revenge we got! They never got a start in the game, with not a single one of their batsmen getting into double figures and four of them making ducks.

When I got to start my spell in the 19th over the score was 31 for 5, and we had it wrapped up 6 overs later for just 39 :biggrin

I took 4 wickets myself, including a double wicket maiden for my third over. I was on a hat-trick off the last ball of the third over, but we had to come off for rain before I bowled it :( When I came back I did rap the pads, but it was well down leg. So I was denied my first 5-for and my first hat-trick ... not that I'm complaining, 4 for 8 is by far my best figures.

Didn't get to bat obviously, but was called on to run for most of the innings, as one of our lads pulled his hamstring again. It doesn't surprise me overmuch, as feck all people actually warm up in these games.

Sunday I got a very late call up to fill in for the 3rds. Even with me playing we were still one short. It didn't matter though, as we got them out for 77, and then chased in just 11.4 overs. It was a non-event of a game for me ... didn't bowl, didn't bat, no chance of a catch and only fielded a few balls ::) Still, better than the lads playing with only 9 I suppose.

Back