Energy systems required for a batsman to score 100 runs

Re: Energy systems required for a batsman to score 100 runs

You may have something there. I'm a wicketkeeper so it's even more tiring in the field with the combination of 300+ squats and concentrating on every ball.

I find a protein+carb drink really makes a difference in recovery though.

swinger said:
Dont forget hands, wrists and forearms. In countries like sri lanka batsman have had to retire due to cramps in their hands e.g gibbs in the champions trophy.

Cramps are rarely down to lack of strength and more about dehydration.

However, grip strength is closely related to shoulder health and overall upper body strength so there is no harm in doing some grip training as part of you overall fitness plan.

I like players to work on grip in 2 ways - holding 2 15kg weight plates between their fingers for as long as possible and also doing barbell complexes.

If you have never done 6 straight leg deadlifts followed by 6 bent over rows followed by 5 overhead presses with the same weight on a barbell that will get your wrists screaming.

Liz Ward said:
However, those with the correct fitness levels (David ;)) should not encounter these difficulties.

I agree although it's hard to train for standing around and light jogging.

I imagine that lots of core stability work, interval training with proper rest periods and general strength training will help with this but I have never seen any research into this particularly unique aspect of cricket.

Dont cramps occur in muscles heavily involved in the movement done? Thats my my point: the hands wrists and forearms are major muscles in batting- i wasnt saying camps were due to a lack of strength.

Yes grip is important.

However wrists and forearms are not major muscles. Wrists are a joint not a muscle. The muscles in the forearms are used to allow you to grip the bat in an isometric contraction so are important but do not help you produce any force.

It is worth bearing in mind that if you are suffering cramps in these areas, you are probably gripping the bat to tight.

The bat is not to be used as a lethal weapon; it is an extention of the movement and must be given room to move fluidly. Too tight a grip will have a negative affect on performance.

Liz Ward said:
It is worth bearing in mind that if you are suffering cramps in these areas, you are probably gripping the bat to tight.

The bat is not to be used as a lethal weapon;

It is obvious that you have never seen swinger bat :laugh:

If your hands, forearms and wrists are injured- you cant bat- so they must be important muscle groups /joints for batting.

How can they not be important if your gripping something the whole time your doing it.

Why did sachin tendulkar and kallis get tennis elbow ?

The wrists do produce force when batting.

Find me a international batsman who hasnt got muscular forearms and il give you thirty that do.

Grip is important for holding the bat yes swinger. You need a reasonable isometric strength to grip the bat for long periods, especially in humid conditions.

I enjoyed reading that post, makes you think about batting and what your body really goes through. I always find it amazing when reading\studying about the different ways that the body can make energy etc.

Top stuff!

Back