England In India

Re: England drop Bell and Anderson

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave. Two five star hotels where players and tourists generally stay are still under attack. At the very least, I'd expect the venue of the second test to be changed.

Re: England In India

I reckon that the tour could be in serious trouble, these are some major issues that have occured and the ECB will no doubt take some serious time in looking into the events.

I'm sure BCCI would be working overtime to protect their finiancial interests but the sensible decision would be to cancel the tour.

Last two one-day games have been abandoned due to the recent terrorist attacks in India.

India are still hopeful that England will remain in the country and play the two test matches.

One-Day series called off

Now that the tour is on what should the team be?

Rashid apparently is not available for selection. However if he is awesome in the nets I imagine this will be ignored pretty quickly.

Personally I alternate between the 4 and 5 bowler model but Rashid here makes a difference because of his batting ability. No Broad makes the 5 bowler model have a dangerously long tail, but here Rashid can help.

Strauss
Cook
Bell
KP
Shah
Fred
Prior
Rashid
GBH
Monty
Daisy

I should point out that is my team from the squad and not who I would pick with a free choice.

Daisy is Anderson.....some Days he Does, Some Days he Doesnt (Copyright David Lloyd)

GBH is Harmison........Grevious Bodily Harm...ison (The Sun I think started that)

Rashid is Adil Rashid.......Yorkshire leg spinner and batsmen.

I wish Sidebottom was available I think he would have bowled well in India as he did in SL.

VFNaturally;291096 said:
Daisy is Anderson.....some Days he Does, Some Days he Doesnt (Copyright David Lloyd)

He bowls well one in four innings and that's being generous. If he got some consistency he could be a quality bowler.

Rashid is Adil Rashid.......Yorkshire leg spinner and batsmen.

How does he go?

England have the luxury of having Flintoff so they can play 2 spinners. It will be interesting to see if they take this option.

I wish Sidebottom was available I think he would have bowled well in India as he did in SL.

Is he injured?

Despite having an average of around 55 in Sri Lanka he did bowl well. Had England been able to field his average would have been far lower for this series.

Rashid is exciting for England because he raises the prospect of a two pronged spin attack and the fact is that Monty cannot bat and while he is good (very good for us) he needs a helpful pitch and offers little else in terms of cricket.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Adil Rashid

His bowling record doesnt look all that exciting until you realise he plays half his matches on Northern English wickets in a team traditionally relient on seam. He also is a match winner with the ball (8 5 wicket hauls so far) and most importantly has balls and is willing to toss it up.

Imagine this batting line up:

Freddie @ 6
Rashid @ 7
Broad @ 8
WK @ 9

We could even play a wicket keeper who can catch!!!

Adil Rashid has a lot of potential but is still very raw. It'll do him good to be around the sqaud but I still feel he is at least a year away from being a true sqaud member.

Sadly I imagine England will play Swann automatically if the go for 2 spinners. He is decent for one day cricket, but not that great for tests IMO.

mas cambios;291114 said:
Adil Rashid has a lot of potential but is still very raw. It'll do him good to be around the sqaud but I still feel he is at least a year away from being a true sqaud member.

I think most cricketers are raw when they first play tests.
Rashid is a confident young lad. Its typically English that we feel we need to protect him. I have to ask why. After all why should he need it more than the players he outbowled last year and the all rounders he out batted?

VFNaturally;291113 said:
Rashid is exciting for England because he raises the prospect of a two pronged spin attack and the fact is that Monty cannot bat and while he is good (very good for us) he needs a helpful pitch and offers little else in terms of cricket.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Adil Rashid

His bowling record doesnt look all that exciting until you realise he plays half his matches on Northern English wickets in a team traditionally relient on seam. He also is a match winner with the ball (8 5 wicket hauls so far) and most importantly has balls and is willing to toss it up.

Imagine this batting line up:

Freddie @ 6
Rashid @ 7
Broad @ 8
WK @ 9

We could even play a wicket keeper who can catch!!!

140 wickets for a 20 year old spinner is impressive. Looks to be one for the future.

Speaking of Broad, is he in the squad?

He is but I believe he is injured for the first test.

Its interesting that we feel we need to protect Rashid, but Broad played his first test at the age rashid is now (give or take 100 days).

I like Broad alot (dispite him leaving Leicester!). Given time he should be Englands McGrath (or at least another Fraser)

VFNaturally;291118 said:
I think most cricketers are raw when they first play tests.
Rashid is a confident young lad. Its typically English that we feel we need to protect him. I have to ask why. After all why should he need it more than the players he outbowled last year and the all rounders he out batted?

I take your point fully. I am 100% of the mindset that if they're good enough then they play, regardless of how much county cricket they may or may not have.

However in this instance, I feel that he needs a little more behind him. Spin bowling is a different art to that of pace, you tend to be a little more exposed and it takes a longer to learn the subtleties and nuances that make up the game. He is a very promising player with the potential to be a decent all rounder but I just think it's a little too soon for him. It's a gut feeling, nothing more.

Then again, if he were to be thrown into the arena, I hope he proves me wrong and performs to his ability and takes some wickets/scores runs.

Back