England Selection Thread

mas cambios

England Selection Thread

Whilst I don't foresee this being as popular as the Australian one (at least not yet) we might as well have one.

Main worries at the moment for England is the lack of an out and out pace bowler. Not many candidates on the horizon but the attack is a bit samey at the moment. The only option is bringing in Sidebottom for Onions if we need a change. Any one got any other suggestions?

Batting wise, Bell looks to have nailed his place for the rest of the SA tour, although I'm still not 100% happy with him in the team. Sure, he has the ability but until he makes runs when the pressure is on, the jury will remain well and truly out. If he'd failed then I would have liked to have seen Carberry come in for a spell.

Re: England Selection Thread

A fast bowler, you say? Hmmmm....

398763.html

Liam Plunkett (nee Gallagher) is pretty sharp

Never been big on Plunkett. He's in the Anderson mold but maybe a tad quicker with slightly less swing.

The main issue I feel is whether to go with 4 bowlers or 5.

Conditions last night suited England, but sooner or later they are going to have to make a definite call on this issue.

Has that been made now following Broad's incisive spell?

a for effort;382550 said:
At least he's not Saj Mahmood

Another player who could have been a reasonable international player but just doesn't have that 'something'. I don't know whether it's the county scene, coaching structure or whatever but we do seem to have a lot of raw talent that never goes anywhere.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;382572 said:
The main issue I feel is whether to go with 4 bowlers or 5.

Conditions last night suited England, but sooner or later they are going to have to make a definite call on this issue.

Has that been made now following Broad's incisive spell?

The 4 or 5 bowler issue is a big one but I have a feeling they'll continue with 4 for the time being. A lot of pundits think they need 5 but I get the impression that there isn't enough trust in the batting to do so. Then again, the tail is the strongest batting wise we've had for ages - Swann and Broad should both be capable of averaging in the late 20's (maybe even low 30's) and even Anderson has seemingly improved over the last 18 months.

mas cambios;382661 said:
Another player who could have been a reasonable international player but just doesn't have that 'something'. I don't know whether it's the county scene, coaching structure or whatever but we do seem to have a lot of raw talent that never goes anywhere.

The 4 or 5 bowler issue is a big one but I have a feeling they'll continue with 4 for the time being. A lot of pundits think they need 5 but I get the impression that there isn't enough trust in the batting to do so. Then again, the tail is the strongest batting wise we've had for ages - Swann and Broad should both be capable of averaging in the late 20's (maybe even low 30's) and even Anderson has seemingly improved over the last 18 months.

Never been big on banking on tail order batsmen getting runs, becaues more often then not they won't contribute much, a handy 20 or so bar the odd blazing cameo.

The 4 or 5 bowler issue is an interesting one, I guess the acid test will be the Ashes when we play on hard Australian pitches that aren't favourable for swing bowling because the ball really cops a pounding. Reverse swing is possible at Adelaide and the MCG but once again this is hit and miss.

Looking at England's fixture list the other day and they only play Bangladesh and Pakistan after this tour before the ashes, two teams in which you could probably get away playing 4 bowlers I guess.

The key to 4 bowlers is a decent spinner which England now have

Most teams who play 5 bowlers have average spinners who are more containing like Hauritz or Giles in the past

eddiesmith;382718 said:
The key to 4 bowlers is a decent spinner which England now have

The problem is that Swann now faces (arguably) his toughest challenge - the second year in test cricket. Far too many spinners (and other types) have blazed a trail in their first 12 months only to fall away badly in the second season.

Positives for Swann are that he has a decent amount of experience combined with a love of the dual. Doesn't seem to get fazed when batsman attack him - note the difference in body language between him and Monty for example.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;382717 said:
Never been big on banking on tail order batsmen getting runs, becaues more often then not they won't contribute much, a handy 20 or so bar the odd blazing cameo.

Generally you're right in this thinking but I don't put Broad and Swann in the 'true' tail ender class. They are both capable enough with the bat to make consistent 20's and 30's - whether that happens or not is a different matter! Australia have Hauritz and Johnson who are both capable of doing the same and i gives a shortened tail.

Mas I agree with your sentiments about Swann and his love for the duel. He is a street fighter, a type of player that you need in your team and squad.
The one thing that you did not mention about Swann is that he has more varieties than Monty. I shudder to think that Monty is now a distant thought and I battle to see that he will make the side with Swann in good form. Swann brings alot to team -> he is irritating batting and his fielding ability.

On the batting front from the tail -> I agree with the fact that is should not be counted on but if it comes off one can easily add 50-100 runs depending on the performance.

Are there any quicks around in the county scene? I am not aware of any but do you know of one or two?

Finn and Woakes are both bowlers who are mentioned on the county scene. Not sure about their pace but Finn is tall (Harmison height) and generates bounce.

I really think that if England find a true pace bowler it'll be someone currently off the radar.

As for tail end runs, look at how vital they have been again for England during the current test. 50 runs between Broad and Prior and already 16 from the current partnership. If Swann can help to take that to 50 the teams will be about equal scores wise - not bad considering we were in trouble at 133-5.

As for the tail end runs it really depends on the players themselves.

The English tail of late almost allows them to be called all rounders, Swann and Broad that is.

If they prove they can make 50 runs amongst the last four every match then you can possibly afford the fifth bowler if the bowling isn't strong enough.

I am also a strong believer of the all rounder.

mas cambios;383146 said:
Finn and Woakes are both bowlers who are mentioned on the county scene. Not sure about their pace but Finn is tall (Harmison height) and generates bounce.

I really think that if England find a true pace bowler it'll be someone currently off the radar.

As for tail end runs, look at how vital they have been again for England during the current test. 50 runs between Broad and Prior and already 16 from the current partnership. If Swann can help to take that to 50 the teams will be about equal scores wise - not bad considering we were in trouble at 133-5.

yeah england could really do with someone who has pace and/or bounce like morkel aas was shown today.

Woakes is probablly one bowler that will play for england but he's not at all quick, at around 80mph and finn is only mid 80's at best. Unfortunately the only regular low 90 quicks are all awful atm amjad khan still has no control, and mahmood may not be quite that quick but has shown he's not up to the level at all.

Surrey probablly have the quickest young bowling pair in the county scene with chris jordan who is always around 90mph but bangs every ball halfway down the pitch and stuart meaker who can be even quicker than jordan is similar to a sami type bowler but he has no control at all currently, very regular full tosses.

I take it that Onions has made himself a bit of a mainstay in the Test team now?

Would never have picked that when he was over here playing for Stockton in Newcastle. He must have come on massive leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.

gundalf7;383317 said:
Surrey probablly have the quickest young bowling pair in the county scene with chris jordan who is always around 90mph but bangs every ball halfway down the pitch and stuart meaker who can be even quicker than jordan is similar to a sami type bowler but he has no control at all currently, very regular full tosses.

Now, I really like Chris Jordan but as you say he bowls very short. He has the potential to be a very good player as he can bat but really needs to develop in the next 12 to 18 months to have a chance.

Meaker has been touted by Ian Pont, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. The guy is quick but again has little control.

I know I've said this somewhere else but I really think that our next 'fast' bowler will come out of the blue somewhat. No one on the radar currently fits the bill - we seem to have a glut of very similar bowlers on the production line.

Caesar;383569 said:
I take it that Onions has made himself a bit of a mainstay in the Test team now?

Would never have picked that when he was over here playing for Stockton in Newcastle. He must have come on massive leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.

I'm it was said that he was coming back from injury during that period - but I'm not 100% certain. Think he has developed though and is not the worst player out there. Seems to bowl fairly wicket to wicket with a little movement, pace is average though. Is he test class? Not sure but I as mentioned above England seem to have a raft of very samey bowlers and he seems to be the best (or maybe most developed) of that bunch at the moment.

Is Chris Jordan still eligible to play for either England or the Windies? A young 90mph+/top order batsman seems worth holding on to at all costs.

Back