Falling over when batting

kallis fan

Falling over when batting

My winter nets have already got under way and what has become apparent was that I am falling over when batting. This was highlighted when I was up against a good in-swing bowler, and whilst it swings considerably more indoor, I was struggling to say the least.

I personally believe this is down to my trigger movement, as it commit myself a long way forward and then find it difficult to then adjust to where the ball is pitching. I believe that I move across the crease due to nerves (not wanting to get bowled) though what this does is make me an obvious candidate for Leg Before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Falling over when batting

Bigger stride, the only thing i can suggest.

We have batting coaches on the boards, so im sure they can help you when they see this thread. The bigger your stride, the more you backfoot should be more solidly planted, which means you are much more stable.

Your front foot should be pretty much pointing back towards the bowler, and your backfoot should going in the same direction as the popping crease. From personal knowledge, i know the stride worked for me when i fell over to in-swingers just like you, but i could handle the quicker ones, its just the slower and medium pacers who got me.

Thanks for the response.

Whilst I take on board what you saying, I believe it is down to my initial 'trigger movement' moving me too far across, and my initial trigger movement restricting the ease with which I can move my foot to the ball as it is a rather large initial stride and generally remains planted.

All i can advise is get some tape, or something in which you can mark out a box and mark one out which is lined out from the middle stump, across and finished up just outside leg stump. When playing keep your movement inside that box. Thats all i can think im sorry.

My advice would be to look to commit yourself as late as possible when the ball is swinging a lot. When the ball is swinging prodigiously you need the trigger movement to be slightly later than usual.

If you commit your foot movement too early you will find it difficult (or impossible) to adjust to any late swing and you will over balance.

If you commit at the last minute you will give yourself a better chance of getting into the right position. This takes practice but indoor nets are the best time to do this.

Talk to yourself when you are facing the swing bowling and tell yourself "WAIT" as the bowler approaches. I think this will help and quite quickly.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

With regards trigger movements, what do you suggest? I know it is all about finding the one that suits you, however recently I have to come to the conclusion that my trigger movement is too restrictive, in that I plant my feet too much. I'm considering trying a sort of slightly back and across 'shuffle' (for want of a better word!!!!!!).

The trigger movement I would recommend would be a very small "back and across" method.

Be careful not to go too far back or too far across, though.

From the trigger position you should be balanced enough to be able to play back or forward and far enough across to open up the leg side shots without being too far across to make you an LBW candidate!

Hope that makes sense?

Back