Fielding and bumpy outfields

Norm the whale

Fielding and bumpy outfields

Many of the clubs we play against aren't blessed with the luxury field that we get to play on ( :laugh:) and often you see some pretty bad mis-fields where the ball bobbles up\over\under the person trying to pick it up.

Anyone have ab advice or ideas to minimise this apart from getting as much of your body behind the ball as possible? We try to use the long barrier but that is not always effective, especially if you're after a quick pick up and throw. There is also the problem that some of the team aren't all that keen on taking a ball to the stomace or ribs, if it does pop up.

Re: Fielding and bumpy outfields

Not quite sure what to suggest apart from getting your body behind the ball - if it hits you in the gut then there isn't much you can do about it.

You could try to practice fielding on a rough surface and firing balls along the surface to replicate it, might help eye-hand as well as show your team that it doesn't hurt that much lol.

Out of interest, do you play at Titwood??

The club I play for plays in the Western Union with one team in Div 1 and one team in Div 4. Is your's pretty similar to that?

Jelly Beanz said:
Out of interest, do you play at Titwood??

The club I play for plays in the Western Union with one team in Div 1 and one team in Div 4. Is your's pretty similar to that?

I don't but I know it fairly well. In truth I'm away working most of the time down south (Norfolk region) so play there but I do try to get back up home when I can.

Oh right ok, I was just guessing because it says your club is 'glasgow'. Our 1st team plays at Titwood sometimes but I've not played there myself.

Sorry about that, but it's where my heart lies! When I return home I may well seek out a few games with Titwood, depends where I plonk myself.

Well if you find yourself near Dumfries the club I play for would be very happy to have new players [/shameless plug] :p

I play for St Michaels CC based in Dumfries. The 1st XI is in the Western Union Div 1, roughly equivalent in standard to the National League Div 2, and the 2nd XI is in WU Div 4, relegated but 0.5% last year. We always get overseas players but they're usually amateurs with just their flights paid for. The First team standard is pretty high I'd say and the 2nd team was at a reasonable level last year.

I think what's worse is the situation where you're having to run full pelt to either catch a high one or any situation where you've got to keep your eye on the ball and not the ground. Our pitch undulates and if you're not looking where you're going and running blind the dips catch you out especially coming up the dip and you're legs just buckle under you - it's crap!

I have played at bumpy outfields a lot of times. You should be very alert when you bend down to pick up the ball. I once got hit on my head(above the left eye) because the ball bounced unexpectedly.

Yeah - that as well - you've always got to be aware of that otherwise you could find yourself spitting your teeth out amongst pools of blood!

Back