Fielding Drills

mas cambios

Fielding Drills

I'm going to use this thread to post a collection of fielding drills that can act as a warm up or as part of more structured routine.

Most of these activities will require multiple people and the use of cones! If additional equipment is needed I will specify at the top.

Throwing and Catching Warm Up Drill

Mark out a target square using cones and divide players into two teams. Then the teams stand opposite each other with the square in the middle.

Player 1 then throws the ball so it bounces in the square; player 2 has to catch it. Then player 2 throws the ball so it bounces within the square for player to catch and so on. After throwing the ball the player runs to the back of the pack.

This is a good warm up drill as it involves light aerobic work but it gets the shoulders and hands going.

Re: Fielding Drills

This is a great little drill for practicing your ground fielding under pressure.

You will need 2 ‘batsman’.

Have your 2 batsman at the crease as in a normal game. Batsman 1 will then call yes and begin a quick single, on the call of yes, a ‘feeder’ will roll a ball in to be fielded by player 1.

Player 1 needs to field the ball cleanly and flick the ball in towards the stump under arm. You can do this in pairs if you wish so that the non – fielding player has to back up.

You can turn this into a bit of a competition by having teams and awarding points for run-outs etc.

Again this is more a warm up drill.

You need a keeper and one feeder.

The feeder calls a name and then hits\rolls\throws the ball in, where the player must field it and then throw it back into the keeper.

You can alternate the drill by having some balls on the ground, some bouncing or even some at chest height.

This game aims to improve awareness.

You need anywhere between 4/12 players and a reasonable sized coned off area. Also 4 stumps which are marked with different colours and the usual feeder.

The idea is that the players jog around the field, where the ‘feeder’ will call a name. A ball is then fed to that player, upon fielding the ball; the feeder will call a colour for the player to aim at.

Once the player has thrown a ball he will then try to back up for the next ball that is thrown, again awaiting the colour call before returning to the main pack.

This drill helps not only with fielding but can be used to allow a batsman to practice his hooking and pulling.

The batsman is fed long hops to hit against the wall. The aim is to get the ball across the 2 boundary lines; the fielders must try and stop it.

You can have teams with the team allowing the least ‘runs’ to be scored the winners.

pulldrill.gif

Lastly, I thought I’d chuck in a quick fitness drill for you all (I know, we all love fitness drills!).

Place 3 or 4 balls at varying distances from the stumps (say 50m, 100m, 150m etc). The fielder then stands with his back to balls next to the stumps. On the call, he turns around and sprints to the first ball, fields it and then throws it in to the keeper. He then jogs back before sprinting out the next ball.

Do this drill in sets of 3.

You can vary the starting position (sitting down crouched etc) or have the balls fed out so that they are moving rather than static.

Isn't there a fielding drill where you do this;

You're laying on the ground, and your coach hits the ball in the air, he can calls and you have to jump up and catch the ball. If you can't, then retrieve it back to the keeper as quickly as possible. Or is that the one you just talked about?

Sort of like one I talked about except the emphasis is on catching the ball.

It's a good drill either way as it combines fitness with ball awareness and catching under pressure.

Back