Finger Spin Bowling.

Re: Finger Spin Bowling.

I have no problem with my spin action either.

Three years ago I played baseball as well, and had a proper fielding coach take me through everything. I now have a throw that was 120 km/h. I believe I could exceed that now too. Thanks to baseball I'm now able to throw completely flat on the full to anybody from any point on a cricket field to any point on the field. Also makes my throwing action very fluent and requires minimal effort. I recommend seeing a baseball coach for any cricket willing to improve not just their throwing, but every aspect of fielding, by a long way.

I might do that, I don't know if it's because my throwing action is jerky or if my elbow just has something wrong with it... but a baseball coach could help so i'll try that first.

I had surgery on my elbow 5 years ago so my elbow still occasionally hurts now and then after throwing, but not really from the action. Everyone gets that problem though I'm pretty sure. I have a hyper flexing elbow as well, meaning I can move it more than 180 degrees so it starts bending backwards adding to the flick.

well I imagine that the hyperflexing would give you more power in your throws but would leave you incredibly sore if you over used it.

Can i just commend everyone on here, espescially you borris ever since i joined i've learned alot more about the great sport of cricket.

Yes it was the hyperflexing that oringinally tore one of the tendons/ligaments (can't remember which one now) from the bone, initiating the requirement for surgery.

And thank you for acknowledging me especially, and might I say the same to you, very knowledgeable when it comes to off spin in particular. This has to be the best site for cricket talk on the web IMO.

hell yeah I've looked around but this one has the most active users. But if you need to know something about offspin you can just ask cause i know a fair bit...

Plus you don't get the insulting and name calling around here. If someone like that join here they would be around only a few weeks.

And I do have a question actually. What is a good length? Never really known how to tell in relation to each particular batsman.

I like to work off the bas note of Tall people can play straight well and short people can play square well, so if you put that into your bowling for someone up around 6ft you should be bowling loopy but just short of a normal good length and also not too loopy otherwise they can just come out to you and belt it, effectivly you want them to be playing either definsive back foot shots or using thier feet to york themselves and it's prety much the opposite for shorter players... so work off that and make little changes where you see fit.

Any thoughts of changing height of delivery?

One change up of mine I crumple right down on my knees and in my follow through my hand actually scrapes the ground. This causes a massive skid on effect when teamed with back spin.

Also changing angle of the bowling arm. I bring mine up or down from a 'sling' position to a straight over the top one. Not that much effect other than less spin/more drift that I have noticed, but it does change it up.

i think when you sling you percieve (so does the batsman) there to be more drift because when bowling right arm over the wicket to a right handed batsman the ball is coming across yourself alot more and the straightens I don't know it could be going more but this is generally how it happens to me when i bowl narrow to the crease, the ball also seems to turn alot more if you deliver it from wide of the crease...

Nathan Hauritz uses the standard two finger off spinners grip.

First and second finger resting on the seam that is running horizontally across your fingers.

When you release this stock ball it is done on a diagonal. To explain this take a ball in your hand and hold it in this grip. Then point your arm out in front of you, turning your palm (assuming you are a right hander?) to face the left hand side. This should feel comfortable and the seam should be running directly up and down. If you now turn your wrist so that the seam points slighty more to the right, that is the angle that it must be released on.

This is done by using the most important part of off spin - the pivot. When you land on your left foot coming through your action you must endeavour to really twist around so you go from your chest facing to the right, then suddenly all the way round to the left, releasing the ball in between. This pivot is what puts masses of rotations of the ball.

Your release is comparitively simple. Run your hand around and down the ball, should feel natural and like you are clicking. If you try to make the seem run up and down, pointing on that diagonal towards leg slip for a RH batsman, you should get your release right. Just try to make sure that seam doesn't wobble and you know you have the rotations on the ball - and rotating in the right direction.

Follow through must emphasise that pivot. Bring your arm right down and around, bending the elbow so that your hand touches the left side of your chest, and your chest pointing directly away from the stumps. Your head should stay focussed on the point you are bowling at the whole way through.

Off spin, though, is no set art. You will not find any off spin bowler in the world that has a stock delivery like the text books say. Off spinners don't have the arsenal of a leg spinner, so improvisation is the biggest part of it. Try to make this sort of example as close as you can, but then like me experiment a lot and see what works for you.

I personally think an orthodox textbook off spinner doesn't have as much bounce and turn as they optimally should, so I have my own action and release for my stock ball, instead I use this ball as one of my variations.

Hopefully I have covered enough there.

It depends on the size of your hand, but the essence is as wide as you can comfortably while maintaining control of the ball.They should be wide enough so that you can pick up and control the ball with only those two fingers, if you can't then spread them further.

I personally have the first (end joint) of my pointer finger directly on the centre of the seam. The centre of the seam also joins about half way between the first and second joint of the second finger. I find that on me this allows the ball to come out with the correct rotations on it.

Back