Finger spin on different surfaces

Bago

Hi guys I just have a question about bowliing off breaks.

I recently decided to start playing cricket again after a few years out of of the game and although Im mostly a batsmen I've decided to put some effort into my off spin bowling as its always been pretty good.

Ive been spending lots of time in the nets getting the action and release right and my seam position is looking pretty good now. I've been practicing at 2 clubs close to my house, both have cement nets with the astro turf like covering. Now at one club I got the ball to turn square and bounce, although the seam position wasn't that great, at the other club Im getting good bounce but no real turn, although the seam position is really good.

Now my question is, should I rather not think to much of it and just concentrate on seam position and bowling good lines and lengths when in the nets? or is a ball supposed to spin lots on these types of surfaces?

I did bowl a ball on the grass outfield while at the 2nd nets I mentioned, and that did turn a fair amount...

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys I just have a question about bowliing off breaks.

I recently decided to start playing cricket again after a few years out of of the game and although Im mostly a batsmen I've decided to put some effort into my off spin bowling as its always been pretty good.

Ive been spending lots of time in the nets getting the action and release right and my seam position is looking pretty good now. I've been practicing at 2 clubs close to my house, both have cement nets with the astro turf like covering. Now at one club I got the ball to turn square and bounce, although the seam position wasn't that great, at the other club Im getting good bounce but no real turn, although the seam position is really good.

Now my question is, should I rather not think to much of it and just concentrate on seam position and bowling good lines and lengths when in the nets? or is a ball supposed to spin lots on these types of surfaces?

I did bowl a ball on the grass outfield while at the 2nd nets I mentioned, and that did turn a fair amount...

Thanks in advance.

Is the astro turf in very different condition at both nets? Is one old and one a lot newer? Has it happened a few times now ?

Is the astro turf in very different condition at both nets? Is one old and one a lot newer? Has it happened a few times now ?

Yes there is a difference, the nets where I do get spin looks much older than the ones where I dont, and yes It has happened a few times.

Yes there is a difference, the nets where I do get spin looks much older than the ones where I dont, and yes It has happened a few times.

I don't think any 2 synthetic wickets are the same and can vary quite a lot. I practice on 4-5 different ones around me. I thought new ones would be the best as they have plenty for the ball to grip to but its actually the exact opposite. The old threadbare wickets take the most turn, especially if they have sand or dirt through the carpet. They laid a lot of new strips around me and I was the first to use one and it took no turn at all. Now about 4 months later it is very bouncy and starting to take some turn.
The nets our team train at are the worst for taking spin in our area even though they are a bit worn.

I don't think any 2 synthetic wickets are the same and can vary quite a lot. I practice on 4-5 different ones around me. I thought new ones would be the best as they have plenty for the ball to grip to but its actually the exact opposite. The old threadbare wickets take the most turn, especially if they have sand or dirt through the carpet. They laid a lot of new strips around me and I was the first to use one and it took no turn at all. Now about 4 months later it is very bouncy and starting to take some turn.
The nets our team train at are the worst for taking spin in our area even though they are a bit worn.

Thanks chippyben, the nets where I do get lots of turn is dirty / dusty whereas the other ones arent really, if thats the case then I wont be to worried about the turn or lack thereof in the newer nets, just going to concentrate on getting everything technically correct. Thanks again.

another thing to consider is that whilst the seam might be clean, if it is slightly angled, such that the seam itself doesnt hit the pitch but the smooth surface of the ball does, then it wont grip so well. its hard to see this for sure without either having someone stood around where the ball pitches watching it, or using video.

another thing to consider is that whilst the seam might be clean, if it is slightly angled, such that the seam itself doesnt hit the pitch but the smooth surface of the ball does, then it wont grip so well. its hard to see this for sure without either having someone stood around where the ball pitches watching it, or using video.

Thanks Jim, yes I'm aware of this, I actually have a few balls that are yellow on one side and red on the other that I practice with, its much easier to se what the ball is doing when bownling with those.

Thanks Jim, yes I'm aware of this, I actually have a few balls that are yellow on one side and red on the other that I practice with, its much easier to se what the ball is doing when bownling with those.

yeh those are fairly useful. seam angle gave me great frustration for quite a while last year. i was bowling with a really clean seam, big revs on the ball, and couldnt work out why it wouldnt turn. once i realised the reason why it was a pretty quick fix and now i get big turn a lot more often.

Back