First Time on a bowling machine:

Stumped

well as the title suggests i had my first go on the bowling machine today......

Subsidised by my club it cost me £10 for half an hour, and in my opinion it was the best tenna i have spent in ages!

I dont think i would advocate using one all the time but for practicing specific shots it was good.

It also told me two things,

Firstly my idea of bowlers speed has been re adjusted massively,

Secondly i have so much more respect for International players and their skills, and Sky sports makes it look easy!

personally i prefer fast bowlers to slow bowlers so after having a look at 70mph we cranked it up to 80mph, which i could not belive how much difference there is! then we crept the speed up to 87mph for the last bucket........ So much fun!

Thank god for anti vibration in the handle as 87mph hitting my bat hurt my bottom hand while driving!

Re: First Time on a bowling machine:

87MPH, thats faster than any bowler at my club. Id be much more comfortable with 70mph:p

I dont think 90 MPH will be too different to the 87 mph i have already faced.

Its certainly different though to a real bowler! you dont get to watch the run up or release, it just kind of appears bloody fast!

Got another session booked for this weekend, will get it put to 70-75 as i wont face nayone faster than that this season! not in my league.......

It's good to put it on low speeds too, so you can groove shots with plenty of time. A bit like very accurate throwdwns really.

what do u mean by that?

phil2oo8;342532 said:

what do u mean by that?

At a guess, he now realises that a lot of the bowlers he faces are slower than he thought. Where before he'd be inclined to say they were 80mph, he'd probably say they were a good 5-10 mph slower.

Then again, most of us tend to only face the bowling machine indoors. I'd love to face one on a normal wicket, just for the comparison.

Same for most of the ones we use, even with matting down. The current one is so-so but it does tend to turn and bounce a lot for the slower bowlers, it's like playing on a raging turner in India lol.

well this one is a new dedicated cricket hall and bounce is good but no turn!

well as the title suggests i had my first go on the bowling machine today......

Subsidised by my club it cost me £10 for half an hour, and in my opinion it was the best tenna i have spent in ages!

I dont think i would advocate using one all the time but for practicing specific shots it was good.

It also told me two things,

Secondly i have so much more respect for International players and their skills, and Sky sports makes it look easy!

personally i prefer fast bowlers to slow bowlers so after having a look at 70mph we cranked it up to 80mph, which i could not belive how much difference there is! then we crept the speed up to 87mph for the last bucket........ So much fun!

Thank god for anti vibration in the handle as 87mph hitting my bat hurt my bottom hand while driving!

Firstly, quick bowlers generally appear 5mph quicker indoors than they do outdoors anyway, due to slightly less light and a far quicker surface, especially if they are banging it in back of a length.

Secondly, the time delay in picking the ball up out of a bowling machine as opposed to being able to watch it all the way out of the hand makes the delivery feel another 5mph quicker as well. It's also very difficult to get a nice rhythmic trigger movement like you can against a real bowler, which makes your feet feel and look sluggish than they otherwise would.

So as an upshot of all this, although we have bowlers in our league who have been timed in the high 70s, I set the machine around 65mph as I think this gives a more realistic reaction time.

Back