Flintoff passes baton to Broad

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Flintoff passes baton to Broad

Andrew Flintoff predicts Stuart Broad could eclipse his own magical feats as a talisman for English cricket. "He's better than me in a lot of ways," said Flintoff, who has called time on his Test career.

More...

Re: Flintoff passes baton to Broad

BigCricket;361952 said:
Andrew Flintoff predicts Stuart Broad could eclipse his own magical feats as a talisman for English cricket. "He's better than me in a lot of ways," said Flintoff, who has called time on his Test career.

More...

I reckon Adil Rashid's going to be our new star.

Andrew Flintoff said:
It is unfair to compare him to myself or Botham

It's unfair comparing you to Botham because Botham was a legend and you were a major underachiever.

Broad to be the next Flintoff??? I don't doubt Broad's ability, but he doesn't have the power and the shock factor that Freddie has. A one legged Freddie was still storming in and hitting the pitch at 150km/h, something that I dont think a two legged Broad will be able to do
I reckon that Broad will do English cricket a good service as he is only 23, but I don't believe he will be the next Flintoff

It's just the media being lazy, something which drives me mad at times. Botham was Botham, Flintoff was Flintoff and Broad will be Broad, simple as.

Botham had that x factor, the ability to break a partnership, demoralise a bowler or dominate a game by the sheer force of his personality. The media tried to mode Flintoff into something similar and although there were similarities, Flintoff was a different beast. He lacked the desire to be in the spotlight and needed reassurance as well as time to himself.

Yes, he'd give you 110% on the pitch and he would get people to watch the game but he lacked that certain something. Injuries robbed him of some of powers as did the the drinking but he served England well and should be remembered as decent all rounder.

Broad is more refined than the two above mentioned, his batting isn't about biffing the ball to all parts, the same way that his bowling isn't about hurling it down at 90mph plus. He has the ability to reach those speeds but he loses his essence, which is a stifling line and length aided by his height.

If Broad continues to develop and if he manages to fulfil his potential then he will be vital to the England side, just as Botham and Flintoff were. However, he will be vital in a different way, as a way to add balance to the side not to be it's heart beat.

Rashid also offers similar promise but he is still raw. The batting is getting better as is the bowling but now is the time for him to make the next step up. My worry is that his bowling just won't be strong enough but time will tell.

I don't think we can compare Beefy to Flintoff and Broad, since they all had their strengths, and Beefy was playing in the 80's - the cricket would have been different (not discrediting Botham's career in any way, shape or form). If people are going to say that Broad is going to be the next Flintoff (who was also apparently the next Botham), then his gameplay and explosiveness would need to improve. I think that he needs to ignore all the hype surrounding his newfound fame and the stuff about being the next Flintoff. He needs to continue his work on batting and bowling because his talent is quite evident.

Back