Flipper?

Darryn

I am very inconsistent when I bowl this and only one in 6 deliveries pitch ok. I want to persist with it as the 1 ball that lands really keeps low and is rarely picked.
I use the click fingers method and What I have found so far is that unless you start with the back of the wrist facing the batsmen. Also you must give it a real flick or you drag it down. Accuracy is also increased if you concentrate on your arm being straight at the delivery point.

Would like to get some ideas and checkpoints from others that might help my consistency.

I am very inconsistent when I bowl this and only one in 6 deliveries pitch ok. I want to persist with it as the 1 ball that lands really keeps low and is rarely picked.
I use the click fingers method and What I have found so far is that unless you start with the back of the wrist facing the batsmen. Also you must give it a real flick or you drag it down. Accuracy is also increased if you concentrate on your arm being straight at the delivery point.

Would like to get some ideas and checkpoints from others that might help my consistency.
Lol! It's not that hard, you just need to practice. If you read about it there's loads of stories about so and so took four years to learn how to bowl it, Grimmett was practicing with it for a lifetime almost before using it and so on. Choose one way of doing it and go for it, I reckon if you've got the strength in your fingers and thumb you'll nail it in a week or so, if you practice an hour or two a day. I'd go for the basic version of it - as demo'd here.

Having said that, I wouldn't go near it unless you've already nailed your leg break and a top-spinner. They're the ones that are going to get you a spell and get you wickets.

If you are a test match legspinner and find that the international calibre batsmen are picking your slider and googly and you need a new variation, try the flipper.

Otherwise, don't bother with it.

Back