Flipper

La Gecko

Flipper

Hey guys, I've think i've figured out how to snap my fingers in order to bowl the flipper. The problem I am having is the positioning of my wrist. I'm assuming the position is similar to the top spinner with the thumb pointing towards the batter but unlike the top spinner i don't really roll by wrist forward in a leg spin manner... but more in an off spin manner :S. Please someone help me with this I would really like to practice this :D

Thanks in advance

Re: Flipper

Well I'm not really the person to help you with this, as I don't bowl a flipper. But I will say this: it would be impossible to bowl a flipper with the leg-break wrist action that pushes forwards; the clicking action of the fingers turns your wrist backwards.

Also, don't forget to take a look at the http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58854/ thread. We are always on the look out for more mad wrist-spinners.

Yeh, thanks I didn't think you would roll your wrist over otherwise it would be a very awkward action, and yeh I have looked at the wrist spin thread... but its MASSIVE!

Might be better to post this on the wrist spin thread, our expert with 2 version there is dave, and our expert in the history and its development being Macca, they are both very well versed and wiil counsel you well.See the jenner video on BBC/Youtube. This is bowled with backspin clicking the fingers. Start it over a short distance than lengthen it to 22 yards. But as all will tell you, practice mainly your leg break which is your bread and butter ball.

The Edge Of Willow;346168 said:
Well I'm not really the person to help you with this, as I don't bowl a flipper. But I will say this: it would be impossible to bowl a flipper with the leg-break wrist action that pushes forwards; the clicking action of the fingers turns your wrist backwards.

Also, don't forget to take a look at the http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58854/ thread. We are always on the look out for more mad wrist-spinners.

I'll copy this over to the wrist spin thread and answer this over there...

The Edge Of Willow;346168 said:

Actually we now know that this is not true, there are at 4 - 6 different variations of the Flipper if you include using different fingers as variations. The 'Out the front of the hand' Flipper is the 'Off-break Flipper' and it looks exactly like a Leg-Break.

someblokecalleddave;355316 said:
Actually we now know that this is not true, there are at 4 - 6 different variations of the Flipper if you include using different fingers as variations. The 'Out the front of the hand' Flipper is the 'Off-break Flipper' and it looks exactly like a Leg-Break.

I was referring to the actual leg-break wrist action, not to what the delivery looked like to the batsmen. While there are flipper variations that appear like a leg break, the actual action to spin bowl the ball hasn't changed. All that's changed is the wrist position.

im by no means any kind of an expert, barely even a novice. but the flipper is one delivery im actually not bad at. the way i do it is to use the clicking finger method (ive tried it with more fingers on the ball and personally i can get just as much spin with only thumb, index and middle. the extra fingers just give it more stability i find. but this is going to come down to preference id imagine). the overall process i use is as follows...

1. ball is in hand with the fingers on it ready to click, start with the palm facing the batsman

2. at the release point the palm is still facing the batsman, and in one smooth motion you click the fingers whilst rotating the wrist so that the palm goes over the top (faces upwards) and round the back so that by the end of the motion the palm faces away from the batsman. at the same time youve clicked your fingers in the middle and propelled the ball forwards with your arm motion. the clicking fingers and quickly flicked wrist almos flips the ball upwards on release, whilst the arm motion sends it forwards.

this method that i use would be fairly easy to pick for a good batsman, im working on the theory that a batsman at club level probably hasnt faced many leg spinners, let alone a leg spinner that can bowl a good flipper. i dont yet play for a club and am still learning basic leg breaks. but im thinking longer term. there are probably better ways to disguise the action.

the result of this method is that you can generate massive amounts of back spin on the ball, it comes out of my hand faster and flatter, and the spin causes it to travel much straighter (it doesnt dip like a leg break, and isnt flighted like one either) and when it hits the wicket is stays very low and comes back in at the batsman slightly (right handed). i pitch it around off stump which is where im trying to pitch my leg breaks. so when ive got it all working properly it will bounce in the same place as the leg break, but stay low and come back in. hopefully this will catch batsmen completely off guard.

thats just my method though, and as i said, im not an expert at all and not even that good a bowler lol. but the flipper really does work well for me, its my best delivery by far and the only one that id feel confident bowling at a proper batsman in a match situation at the current time! hopefully i can develop my leg break over the next few weeks and months to a similar standard

Back