Flying Saucer Legbreak (frisbee)

macca

Young bloke has been working on a flying saucer legbreak for a while now and cracked it he reckons so I tried to capture it here. I hope you can pick it up.

This one doesn't swing like it does sometimes ( might be rubber walls on nets) but comes high out of the hand revolving down the wicket equatorially and looking like a big fat full toss but dips a fair bit and very late tilting the axis as it does so then it hits the deck on the smooth side and stops revolving and tennis ball bounces off a sponge cake with a bit of legspin.

Interesting delivery Macca, I'd imagine quite tricky to release? Theoretically if you look at that Magnus effect video on Youtube, the ball should swerve in the direction of the spin - think of Top-Spinner turned on its side, the dip with the top-spinner as you're aware is increased by the magnus effect, so if you bowl the flying saucer ball it should swerve. I've experimented with it using the Flipper release and looked promising.

Interesting delivery Macca, I'd imagine quite tricky to release? Theoretically if you look at that Magnus effect video on Youtube, the ball should swerve in the direction of the spin - think of Top-Spinner turned on its side, the dip with the top-spinner as you're aware is increased by the magnus effect, so if you bowl the flying saucer ball it should swerve. I've experimented with it using the Flipper release and looked promising.

Yeah you see him mucking around to get his grip ( and licking his fingers). For this one he tilts the axis a bit in the grip compared to normal and releases it up.

Maybe he didn't get enough revs for magnus and I find it hard to get my head around what should happen anyway. Maybe the swerve here is towards the ground because it dips and drops without topspin ?

Yeah you see him mucking around to get his grip ( and licking his fingers). For this one he tilts the axis a bit in the grip compared to normal and releases it up.

Maybe he didn't get enough revs for magnus and I find it hard to get my head around what should happen anyway. Maybe the swerve here is towards the ground because it dips and drops without topspin ?

When I saw that Magnus affect vid by the bloke at the Sydney Uni, I thought that I'd cracked the secret to why the ball drifts, but I've thought it through some more and it's more complex than what I thought - yeah it baffles me as well. It's frustrating because I feel like if I could explain it without having to rely on Physics too much - I might understand how to improve drift in my own bowling.

yes, Im getting a new computer next week so hopefully Ill be back, Ive missed posting to you blokes!!!

Good stuff, it'll be good to have you back on here writing the long uns again. I've got computer issues as well, I'm still waiting to see if the Hard-drive that went down with the power supply box exploding in the summer is recoverable, If it's not that's a years worth of images and videos down the pan. In the meantime the new windows 7 that I've got comes with a crap version of windows movie maker.

Young bloke has been working on a flying saucer legbreak for a while now and cracked it he reckons so I tried to capture it here. I hope you can pick it up.

This one doesn't swing like it does sometimes ( might be rubber walls on nets) but comes high out of the hand revolving down the wicket equatorially and looking like a big fat full toss but dips a fair bit and very late tilting the axis as it does so then it hits the deck on the smooth side and stops revolving and tennis ball bounces off a sponge cake with a bit of legspin.

My 11 year old leg spinning cousin bowls the exact same delivery accidentally sometimes. It drifts more than a usual delivery and might turn slightly less but only on certain surfaces. It can't dip, that must be an optical illusion because a delivery spinning around a vertical axis is affected by the magnus effect in such a way that it drifts in the same direction as the spin (much like a kick in football where a left footed player strikes the ball with his left foot on the left side, which means it drifts to the right) Perhaps he doesn't get the seam perfectly perpendicular and it has a small amount of top spin on it? Looks like a very interesting ball and certainly one worth using as a variation.

I've tried it, but it's very difficult if you've got the orthodox leg spin action ingrained in your mind and suddenly have to bowl it differently. My usual leg break does have the axis tilted backwards to a small extent but I can't get it to spin with just the flying saucer type of spin.

When I saw that Magnus affect vid by the bloke at the Sydney Uni, I thought that I'd cracked the secret to why the ball drifts, but I've thought it through some more and it's more complex than what I thought - yeah it baffles me as well. It's frustrating because I feel like if I could explain it without having to rely on Physics too much - I might understand how to improve drift in my own bowling.

Dave, the Magnus effect is exactly what drift is about. The more revs you put on it, the more it will curl (think 'ball of the century').

Back