footwork, balance, timing...

footwork, balance, timing...

Last week I was in the nets batting for the first time in many years and not surprisingly I seemed to have a number of issues to sort out. I've described them in greater detail here, but the basic problems seem to be lack of footwork, leaning back too much, and not being able to time the ball.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I can work through these? Any drills I could do at home would be ideal.

Re: footwork, balance, timing...

Im no expert on batting, despite my fanatic love for the game, but for the footwork drills at home you could try shadow batting. I used to be only able to slog, until, bored watching tv, i picked up my bat and played some shadow on drives, making sure i took a big stride, and always checking i have my left foot pointing straight down the wicket. im no KP now, but i can straight drive a lot better. It may just have been a personal thing but it helped me.

otherwise, in the nets make a concious effort to come forward to each ball - if you ask ur teammates nicely they might even bowl it nice and full for ya. its a mental problem that I still have to the express bowlers - lucky for me i pay in a very low league so the pace is at a level i can handle. I think for both you and me its just gonna take time, determination and match practice not to keep backing away from the ball

Ill gladly welcome tips and drills to any of these too, but in the mean time i hope ive been of help

TJ

Spiderlounge;387472 said:
Last week I was in the nets batting for the first time in many years and not surprisingly I seemed to have a number of issues to sort out. I've described them in greater detail here, but the basic problems seem to be lack of footwork, leaning back too much, and not being able to time the ball.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I can work through these? Any drills I could do at home would be ideal.

I apologise, I do not know your age but assume you are an adult.

If you were one of my players, I would indeed put the gloves on you. You hit the nail on the head with the boxer scenario. The best thing you can do is get a session with a PT, there should be one at your gym [make sure they are Level 3 or above]. Don't worry, they won't hit you... you wear the goves, the PT holds the pads ;). You will very quickly learn how to move your feet at the same time as gaining balance and timing. If the PT did put the gloves on, you would learn even quicker :D.

After one session, you will have quite a bit to work on at home. It really is worth the money.

Make sure they know what you want at the time of booking though.

Ok a thing on footwork, when the bowler releases the ball take a small step forward thus having more time to play the ball, but if the ball is short and you need to step back do so. Also where are you batting in your crease forward back etc...

Hope this helps

Back