For the bowlers.

Simbazz

For the bowlers.

83902.jpg

This picture may just indeed come handy.

First is Matthew Hoggard, his grip and release allows for swing, see how the wrist is slightly bent (i'd use a better word but unfortunately the swear filter doesn't allow me to, but the word i wanted to use in this case is not), and notice how the fingers "claw," at the ball, this gives the ball ultimate stability in release meaning it'll release with the seam pointing dead straight, and more likely to swing. As we all know, Hoggard has the uncanny ability to get those scrambled seam deliveries to swing just as much,

Sidebottem next, his more side on action is due to two reasons, he's a left hander and he needs to get nearer to the stumps, this means he has a better angle of release, which as a lot of people know, for the left arm swing bowler is vital. Look at Vaas, he's pretty much mastered it, its what Sidebottom does which is unique, his release is nice and high, and due to his more side on action, the inswing to the right handers is his main weapon as we've seen, thats all down to that nice close to the stumps side on action. Just as you can see, that swinging right arm gives so much momentum its untrue, and that allows the speed, but look carefully at the fingers, they're either side of the seam, whereas Hoggard tends to kind of push his finger over to the right a little. Its what Sidebottom does which allows for that great inswing, and Hoggards grip allows for the scrambled seam.

Monty Panesar, i don't really need to comment on this guy, because i posted it up for those two swingers, but i'll mention him. Panesar's main weapon is his quick, tendency to rip off the pitch type of bowling, that all comes about due to the hight of his arm, and where the ball is released. You'll notice that Panesar is a textbook SLA, he swivels on that right foot, slightly on his tiptoes, which means the ball is coming in at a high angle, so it can pick up greater speed, and can get more rotations in the air, which has a knock on effect on how the ball spins off the deck. His other advantage is his ability to get up close and personal with the stumps, whether it be over the wicket, or around, he can get very close to them, again meaning the angle is such that he can really trouble the right hander. Not only has he got the knack of taking right handers out, he's pretty good at the left handers, playing it a little straighter, then when the batsmen is used to coming forward and defending his stumps, in a middle type of defensive stroke, Monty passes on out a little wider, little more spin and it spins just past the bat and onto the stumps if he's dont it well.

All three of these bowlers are vital to England, and just going back to the Sidebottem/Vaas thing, take a look at Vaas' action here;

75080.jpg

He's probably a bit slower than Sidebottem, but don't quote me on that. I'd expect he is, but the swing and accuracy he can generate is due to that cramped up style he has, he makes himself small, then explodes to this;

75111.jpg

Again, notice how he isn't particularly near the stump there, Sidebottem almost hogs it, and thats what makes these two great at what they do. Sidebottem is the very much "English," bloke, likes it to swing, a nice tight line and everything neat and pretty, his action also suggests it.

Vaas on the other hand is the kind of player who will make ends meet one way or another, not particularly neat and tidy, but just as dam effective.

Apologies for the big pictures, but hopefully some of our swingers and spinners might have a look and read. I just felt the picture there was too good to let go.

Re: For the bowlers.

I know no one has posted, but i've found a couple more great ones;

For those of you destined to beat the speeds of Brett Lee, here's a Harmison side on view. Now, i know he isn't overly great at the moment, but his action is great if you're as tall as he is. He, when on form, gets both legs and arms working in perfection which for a big guy isn't the easiest to do!

83930.jpg

Notice again how with the ball holding hand he almost explodes it from his current position, all the way round and puts out 95MPH of speed. It isn't all pretty from Steve when he's in a rut, his action goes wayward and his arms and legs become a mass of spaggetti.

For those quick bowlers who want to see an approach with is near on perfect, look no further than Australian sensation Brett Lee,

79086.jpg

From that position, you can only go and succeed. Notice how he glides through the air, look at his shoulders, already facing the way they'll be when he releases. All he has to do now is get that 98MPH speed from his shoulders. His speed of run up is great, and its one of the factors to why he is so dam quick.

For all express bowlers, aim for Brett Lee, and hopefully you'll end up somewhere in the bracket. If you can grab videos of him, then do, because he is a sight to behold when in true form!

Aye, Lee is a fantastic bowler to model an action on, the pace he gains in his run up and momentum into the crease is amazing. My action is similar to Lee's, a mix between his and Jimmy's, jus need to work on fitness, run up and general momentum coming into the crease, had a few balls in the garden tonight and they came out alright, some decent pace considering i only get a 4-6 pace run-up. Now trying to work on a plan to really improve and start nailing some real pace.

You need a quick runup, i'd say go for the short sharp sprints. Maybe run over 20m flat out 6 times a night for a few weeks your fitness and speed should steadily increase if you keep up with it.

Back