Front foot shots

Spin_King07

Front foot shots

OKay I open for my team and always stay in for atleast 27-33 overs.
but all my shots are on the backfoot giving them easy LBW's. when i try to play front foot i alyways miss it?

Re: Front foot shots

Welcome to the forums, firstly, we need a bit more information. Is there any chance you could give us more information. By you not being able to do it, are you nervous? Or is it technically you cant do it.

yeah a bit more information will help. perhaps your initial movement takes you on the backfoot and you struggle to get forward after that.

one of the advantages about stepping forward is that it allows you to get into the bowlers head, and as an opener that is almost essential. generally its all about your frame of mind, stepping forward is considered positive whilst stepping back is considered negative. having said that theres is a lot of advantages with being able to hammer bowlers through square :) :)

I am having a bit of trouble too. I don;t step far enough to the ball, I sometimes have my weight on the back foot while playing a drive. And when the ball is pitched up on the leg side, I almost automatically fall away. I guess I just need to wait a bit long before I step out?

Without the information, I would have been told these points, they may work for you, too.

# Make sure your weight is on your front foot whilst playing a front foot shot.
# Make sure your head is over the ball, so you're not playing the shot upright.
# Wait to see where the ball is going, don't just go on the back foot straight away, wait until you see around about where it will bounce and then stick your foot out.

I'm probably not the best person to answer, I have the same problem, for me it isn't because I'm thinking negative or that I am scared of the bowler, just I know that I could pound the bowler if it was short, so I'm thinking to much on that and not fully focused on where the ball is pitching.

Think about what you did wrong directly after the stroke (if you are still on strike and not running), then think how it is supposed to be played, and then clear everything out of your mind, and go into the next stroke with a clear head. Because I believe if you are thinking how to do a shot properly when the bowler is running in, you will automatically go into the position when the ball is bowled, and it might be in a completely different place. Hmm, just what I have been told.

Spin_King07 said:
OKay I open for my team and always stay in for atleast 27-33 overs.
but all my shots are on the backfoot giving them easy LBW's. when i try to play front foot i alyways miss it?

The point of front foot play is to get close to the ball or the line of the ball. If you are missing, then you are not doing this.

precisly manee, although you definitly have more experience than i, its all about getting to the pitch of the ball

jimmy33 said:
precisly manee, although you definitly have more experience than i, its all about getting to the pitch of the ball

I'm a bit of a lwer order grafter, lol - hardly an experienced batsman. My shuffly style at the crease means I am put down the order by coaches and I get comparison's to MS Dhoni from my teammates.

Sometimes it helps to get back to basics ;)

Lean forward with head and shoulder - pad directly in line with ball - (body position open slightly more on leg stump line with shorter stride) - bat and pad together without gaps - look through hands - high leading elbow, forming diamond shape with arms on completion of shot.

When playing against a fast bowler you must let the ball come to you. When playing against spin, look to take a longer stride and get your foot out to meet the ball more, to smother the spin.

Back