Funk192 Legspin, My Intro

funk192

Amazing Funk192, let's hope you hang around a little on this forum as you're definitely an asset to the spinners here! What do you do are you a finger spinner or a wrist spinner?

Making a new thread so as to keep the other videos thread clean.

As I said yes a legspinner.

I'm part of that generation that saw Warnie as a young teen. Was never into cricket or any sports for that matter, but my I was amazed by what Warne could do with the ball, how it interacted with the air and pitch with my more technical mind. Even other types of ball sports like football(or soccer) where putting spin on a ball could make a ball curve. I'm that kind of person who likes to do things perfect, & am always self examining even as I bowl, which is one of the reasons I haven't posted a video of my action as I'm always experimenting with things and changing my action.

Am now 30yrs old, but when I first started my brother bought me a soft cricket ball that hard markings on where to place the fingers and thumb on the ball, came with vague instructions on what to do and what a wrongun toppie and leggy is, I vaguely remeber the zooter? My fascination grew with just spiining the ball and doing different things with my wrist by just throwing the ball. I first bowled in my backyard and all I could bowl were wronguns, although I got massive turn. From experimentation and frustration from trying to give it a big rip I figured out how to bowl the leggy and what was happening with my wrist.

My action has changed alot since I've never even known the basic action even for normal pace. It has gone from looking something similar to the frog in a blender type action when I first started in the back yard to a fairly normal action, and then deteriorating to a frog in a blender action when I tried to bowl in the park nets not being able to bowl the length pf the pitch, being very loopy. I did also discover myself the wrong wrongun one day in while using a tennis ball bowling to my brother, using the thumb to click the ball out the hand but with my hand in the wrongun position.

So basically I have experimented half of my summers to bowling legspin. A few summers ago I did have an action that gave me alot of drift dip and spin and I mean a lot though it was a fairly roughened up ball and I thought I figured it out that summer by making my fingers run down the side of the ball which is what started giving me the big drifter. I would occasionally get one ball looking like Warnes gatting ball where it would be bowled quite flat but with so much spin that it would drift and dip so late almost hanging in the air before it does and then spin of the pitch aggresively. I guess all I was doing was just trying to rip the cover off the ball using all of my body whatever aciton it was. I don't know why I stopped back then though, I think my action deteriorated again, as I find I lose my action if I stop even for one week.

Lately though the past year I have become more serious about it and have practised the past year even in winter months by studying Warnes, Macgills and other bowlers actions seeing what things they do. Although the action probably looks alot better now I have lost my drift. Am not trying to rip the cover off the ball though as I have developed what you have said before somewhere called plantar fasciitis. Has gotten mostly better but it's stopped me from being that aggressive type spinner not caring about accuracy.

Well that's about it, forgive the grammar.

Making a new thread so as to keep the other videos thread clean.

As I said yes a legspinner.

I'm part of that generation that saw Warnie as a young teen. Was never into cricket or any sports for that matter, but my I was amazed by what Warne could do with the ball, how it interacted with the air and pitch with my more technical mind. Even other types of ball sports like football(or soccer) where putting spin on a ball could make a ball curve. I'm that kind of person who likes to do things perfect, & am always self examining even as I bowl, which is one of the reasons I haven't posted a video of my action as I'm always experimenting with things and changing my action.

Am now 30yrs old, but when I first started my brother bought me a soft cricket ball that hard markings on where to place the fingers and thumb on the ball, came with vague instructions on what to do and what a wrongun toppie and leggy is, I vaguely remeber the zooter? My fascination grew with just spiining the ball and doing different things with my wrist by just throwing the ball. I first bowled in my backyard and all I could bowl were wronguns, although I got massive turn. From experimentation and frustration from trying to give it a big rip I figured out how to bowl the leggy and what was happening with my wrist.

My action has changed alot since I've never even known the basic action even for normal pace. It has gone from looking something similar to the frog in a blender type action when I first started in the back yard to a fairly normal action, and then deteriorating to a frog in a blender action when I tried to bowl in the park nets not being able to bowl the length pf the pitch, being very loopy. I did also discover myself the wrong wrongun one day in while using a tennis ball bowling to my brother, using the thumb to click the ball out the hand but with my hand in the wrongun position.

So basically I have experimented half of my summers to bowling legspin. A few summers ago I did have an action that gave me alot of drift dip and spin and I mean a lot though it was a fairly roughened up ball and I thought I figured it out that summer by making my fingers run down the side of the ball which is what started giving me the big drifter. I would occasionally get one ball looking like Warnes gatting ball where it would be bowled quite flat but with so much spin that it would drift and dip so late almost hanging in the air before it does and then spin of the pitch aggresively. I guess all I was doing was just trying to rip the cover off the ball using all of my body whatever aciton it was. I don't know why I stopped back then though, I think my action deteriorated again, as I find I lose my action if I stop even for one week.

Lately though the past year I have become more serious about it and have practised the past year even in winter months by studying Warnes, Macgills and other bowlers actions seeing what things they do. Although the action probably looks alot better now I have lost my drift. Am not trying to rip the cover off the ball though as I have developed what you have said before somewhere called plantar fasciitis. Has gotten mostly better but it's stopped me from being that aggressive type spinner not caring about accuracy.

Well that's about it, forgive the grammar.

That's interesting that you've got PF, Liz might chip in here now you've mentioned that. Can you pinpoint what triggered it? Have you tried fixing it yet - doing the kind of stuff I have to do in order to keep it at bay?

I reckon we should have a Leggies intro page where we all write up how we got here!?

That's interesting that you've got PF, Liz might chip in here now you've mentioned that. Can you pinpoint what triggered it? Have you tried fixing it yet - doing the kind of stuff I have to do in order to keep it at bay?

I reckon we should have a Leggies intro page where we all write up how we got here!?

That might be a good idea about the intros.

About my plantar fasciitis, it's been with me since march this year, it's a combination of a sprained ankle from playing park footbal(soccer) and PF from cheap worn out new balance brand of shoes.

The pitch where I bowl at then run up and the bowling crease is made out of cement. So back before the PF problem started I had gone through 4 pairs of good running shoes, 2 Nikes, one Asics & one reebok. The cement pitch would wear out the part where it pivot on my feet, you guessed it I pivot alot which is part of what gave me the big drift. After going through all those expensive shoes I thought I would buy some cheap New balance shoes. After a while the New balance shoes wore out quite fast and got more worn out under the toe area, I kept using them that's when the problems started although back then I never noticed it. So it was a combination of the hard rubber and wearing out of those shoes gave me the PF. Have gone through the agony of sharp pains, taking (nurofen)ibuprofen tabs, putting my feet in ice baths, stretching the heck out of my achilles tendons and calves before I bowl. Have new expensive Asics shoes now, though those almost have worn out already but they are the expensive gel and arch support ones (grrr).

I haven't given myself much of a break I must say. I kept bowling because I thought it was just the sprained ankle as I have had rolled my ankle many times in the past and had it healed within a few days, so I though form past experiences that it would be okay . Though later on I found the PF developed in both of my feet with the sprain in the ankle mostly healing up. It's worse in the foot that I land on off the bound in my action though. It's a pain in the ...... Oh well I love bowling so much that I just want to keep at it.

Back