Future flag-bearer for spin bowling

ShaneS

Future flag-bearer for spin bowling

In a recent book I've read it states that Shane Warne gave leg-spin bowling the kiss of life. (There's no doubt about that!) It was a dying art before he came along and he influenced the renewed interest in spin bowling in an era when fast bowling was the norm. Together with Murali and Kumble, they formed the tri-flag bearers for spin bowling for more than a decade. My question is this, with Warne retired and Kumble and Murali not likely to be around for very long either, is spin bowling going to go through a "decline" again or are there spin bowlers out there who are going to continue to carry the flag. If so who do you guys think it'll be?

Re: Future flag-bearer for spin bowling

Hi Shane,

That is good point.But currently Australia,Sri Lanka & India are not having leading spinners to take their place.
But we are sure that in coming days we might see quality spinners from most of the Team.
Currently; the leading up coming spinner's we all expect to do good in coming years:
India: Harbhajansingh
England: Monty Panesar
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori
Australia: Brad Hogg/Stuart Macgill
Pakistan: Danish Kaneria
Bangladesh: Mohammed Rafique

I think we may see a turn back to all out pace for a few years, until the next wave of spinners come through.

Like most things sport is cyclical and we we're lucky to have Warne and co to highlight the art of spin and get it recognised but once the current crop (Murali and Kumble) retire there will be a lack of truly top class spinners.

A_A,

From the above list which spinner do u think has the potential to last longer in International Cricket or u have any player in mind.

Out of the list you typed then I feel that we'll see Panesar, Kaneria and Vettori around for a while but whether or not they average below 30 will be another matter.

Harbhajan Singh has the potential but he has been overshadowed by Kumble in recent years and his place may under threat from the likes of Chawla and Ojha; I rate Chawla in particular. If he continues to improve and develop he'll be a very good spinner.

There are also a few young guys in England, most notably Rashid at Yorkshire but the English game isn't wonderful at promoting and bringing on spinners, again time will tell.

I'm not sure about other countries, Australia are suffering from a Warne hangover, SA will rely on Harris (who is average at best) and the West Indies have bigger concerns. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will always produce spinners of reasonable ability but Bangla need to improve all round, which makes the spinners job hard as they rarely have big scores to bowl with and Sri Lanka will have a period of re-building.

I agree re: Panesar, Kaneria and Vettori. I don't really see them dominating a batting lineup consistently though. I think Panesar and Vettori are very consistent bowlers while Kaneria probably has the potential to bowl out a team but lacks consistency. He needs to learn how to bowl in different conditions and not just in the sub-continent. I remember he came over here on their last tour with a very good reputation but wasn't really that effective. In fact the SA batsmen dealt with him quite comfortably even though they have a supposed weakness against spin.

SA are probably going to stick with Harris (who's done reasonably well, except he needs to work on his fielding) and Botha who's now back after having his action remodelled. Botha played well in the ODI's recently, got some nice turn and can bat as well, but not likely to bowl out a team.

I'm not too familiar with the young English players but will look to see if any of them are used in the upcoming SA series. I think Sri Lanka are really going to struggle after Murali as they have been relying on him as their main wicket taker.

So I agree A_A that there will be a period where we'll have good and average spinners and then maybe a new talent will come to the fore and dominate again. In the meantime, out of the current crop, I don't see anyone being able to do so.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Hi Shane,

That is good point.But currently Australia,Sri Lanka & India are not having leading spinners to take their place.
But we are sure that in coming days we might see quality spinners from most of the Team.
Currently; the leading up coming spinner's we all expect to do good in coming years:
India: Harbhajansingh
England: Monty Panesar
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori
Australia: Brad Hogg/Stuart Macgill
Pakistan: Danish Kaneria
Bangladesh: Mohammed Rafique
Hogg, MacGill, Rafique are too old. Vettori, Kaneria and Harbhajan are decent bowlers but not anything special. Monty Panesar is young and still new to international cricket. Time will tell how good he becomes.
I tend to agree that spin bowling might take the backseat in the near future. Even India is producing more fast bowlers these days.

I forgot about Botha, then again, he needs time to see how the new action plays and if he is still going to be a threat.

CULLEN! Unfortunately I don't think he'll be anything special.

I forgot someone. Cameron White. <3. He's going back to the academy to learn some more about spin bowling. Good leader, great batsman, decent bowler. Should be good if Australia go for 4 pacemen, then Clarke, Symonds and White all part time spinners, should be good.

Hopefully Cam Whites bowling will improve (after all even Richie was a late bloomer) and then he will easily hold his spot as an all rounder. But at the moment best spin bowler playing first class cricket in Australia is Bryce Mcgain and hes something like 36.

As for Bangladesh Abdur Razzak and Enamul Haque Jnr seem alright but still have a long way to go

White has the potential but really needs to work on his bowling. He has a bit of time to do so and if he did he'd be a very handy asset to the Australian team.

Bryce McGain - anyone mentioned him yet? Could do a Colin Miller and get a late call up, Australia could do worse then him for a few years.

They won't, they just won't. He is the best of the lot at the moment but I don't think they will, but I reckon he's better than Hogg.

I don't know, I reckon he has a chance. Hogg isn't brilliant and McGill may have peaked and be on the decline. I would say that he has to be in the minds of the selectors if nothing else.

Jeez, not Cameron White. When i was at a Vic v WA game, me and my friend were predicting what variation he would bowl, and they all ended up being toppies or wrong'uns :laugh:. But seriously he needs to improve his spin if he wants to get selected...ever. Cullen and Bailey are probably our biggest future but they are still young. Bryce McGain is an interesting choice. He knows his own game, has a lot of experience and plays for the enjoyment. So, like Mr Cricket said, we could do a lot worse than him

yea i agree with u boys bout cameron white nd i also reckon dat dan cullen wud go alrite, as well as the spinner from tasmania .... i think its xavier doherty .... not too sure of his name but he goes alrite

Back