Future Test/ODI Teams

Y

Younginator

Future Test/ODI Teams

Post your future Test/ODI Australian teams here !

Re: Future Test/ODI Teams

How about this as a team

1 - Phil Jaques
2 - Domenic Thornly/Micheal Klinger
3 - Ricky Ponting
4 - Micheal Hussey
5 - Micheal Clarke
6 - Marcus North/Cameron White
7 - Tim Pain/Luke Ronchi/Adam Crosthwaite
8 - Moises Henriques
9 - Mitchell Johnsen
10 - Shaun Tait
11 - Ben Hilfenhaus

How far ahead???

3-4 years on, this is a good estimate:
1. Jaques
2. Cosgrove
3. Ponting (C)
4. Hussey (VC)
5. Clarke
6. Henriques
7. Haddin/Paine
8. Warne
9. Gillespie
10. Lee
11. Tait

I was talking 4-5 years south, But i agree, Gillespie won't get another chance at test level in the foreseeable future, due to age.

SouthSwans;122594 said:
He's younger than Ponting and only just older than Lee

He's had his run & its run his course, Even when he was in super form last year he did not get picked till late in the year against bangledesh

Gillespie is miles past it now. The guy had his chance and failed to capatalize on what he was given and test level has passed him by.

He is too old now and there are plenty of other, younger players before him that will be competing for a test spot (i.e. Johnson, Tait)

I can't see Gillespie taking wickets against England and I can't see him playing test cricket again.

Ljp86;122625 said:
The guy had his chance and failed to capatalize on what he was given and test level has passed him by.

I hope you're referring to the end of his test career and not his whole career. If so you should have worded it differently because you are sounding pretty negative towards a great.

259 test wickets @ 26
1218 test runs @ 18.7

Babyshambles;122726 said:
I hope you're referring to the end of his test career and not his whole career. If so you should have worded it differently because you are sounding pretty negative towards a great.

259 test wickets @ 26
1218 test runs @ 18.7

There's no doubt that Gillespie is a great player. He has been a wonderful servant for Australian cricket and played well whenever he was in the side.

But, the Ashes series of 2005 was a defining point in terms of his career. Gillespie played poorly that series and deserved to be dropped. He lacked the penetration that he once had and just was not the bowler he used to be, hence his exit from the side.

Gillespie was less than impressive against Bangladesh and even though he scored an unbeaten 200, he was there for his bowling and not his batting. It was a great effort though against Bangladesh to score an unbeaten double century but let's face it, Bangladesh aren't exactly a good side.

Until his 10-wicket haul in a Pura Cup game a few days ago, he hasn't been tearing up domestic cricket all that well which he would need to do to be considered for a test berth.

If he was still playing for Australia, I really couldn't see him taking many wickets against England. There are just too many bowlers in front of him now who have been playing well and have age on their side.

Ljp86;122768 said:
Gillespie was less than impressive against Bangladesh and even though he scored an unbeaten 200, he was there for his bowling and not his batting. It was a great effort though against Bangladesh to score an unbeaten double century but let's face it, Bangladesh aren't exactly a good side.

How could you fault Gillespie's bowling against Bangladesh? In two Tests he took figures of 2-47, 3-18, 3-11, and 0-14. These weren't tail-end wickets either. He got out the opener Javed Omar three times, the other opener Shahriar Nafees once, Mohammad Ashraful, Rajin Saleh, and the captain Habibul Bashar once each, and the wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud once.

Stamislav;122853 said:
How could you fault Gillespie's bowling against Bangladesh? In two Tests he took figures of 2-47, 3-18, 3-11, and 0-14. These weren't tail-end wickets either. He got out the opener Javed Omar three times, the other opener Shahriar Nafees once, Mohammad Ashraful, Rajin Saleh, and the captain Habibul Bashar once each, and the wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud once.

they wernt tail enders but they were from Bangladesh !

Stamislav;122853 said:

I rest my case. Bangladesh, the ninth ranked team out of ten and the only reason they are ninth is because 10th is corrupt, has excessive racism and is poorly run.

Gillespie bowled reasonably well against Bangladesh but it's only Bangladesh remember. You can beat up Bangladesh all you want but it doesn't compare to playing some of the much better ranked sides.

Ljp86;122992 said:
I rest my case. Bangladesh, the ninth ranked team out of ten and the only reason they are ninth is because 10th is corrupt, has excessive racism and is poorly run.

Gillespie bowled reasonably well against Bangladesh but it's only Bangladesh remember. You can beat up Bangladesh all you want but it doesn't compare to playing some of the much better ranked sides.

My point was that you can't fault Gillespie for how he bowled in the Test series against Bangladesh. You need a different reason if you think Gillespie can't cut it at Test level anymore. Yeah, he had a bad Ashes, but anybody can have a bad series, and that was over a year ago. Whether he plays Tests again should depend on his fitness and his recent performances in domestic cricket.

Stamislav;122999 said:
My point was that you can't fault Gillespie for how he bowled in the Test series against Bangladesh. You need a different reason if you think Gillespie can't cut it at Test level anymore. Yeah, he had a bad Ashes, but anybody can have a bad series, and that was over a year ago. Whether he plays Tests again should depend on his fitness and his recent performances in domestic cricket.

The only reason the selectors need is that he can't cut it at that level anymore. If a player isn't good enough for that level then the selectors shouldn't be playing him. This is exactly what happened with Gillespie. And is wasn't just the series against England in which he played poorly. He also played poorly in the two series previous against Pakistan and against New Zealand in New Zealand.

Here are Gillespie's stats for the last 11 tests that he has played (includes Bangladesh games).

Code:
Matches Runs Wickets Average

11    968    25     38.72

And not including Bangladesh games.

Code:
Matches Runs Wickets Average

9    878    17     51.65

Hardly great figues are they and one of the main reasons why he was dropped. Gillespie's domestic form has been ordinary but did pick up a 10-wicket match in the last Pura Cup game he played. But one good match isn't going to get him a test berth again.

AUSSIE TEAM FOR 2009 ASHES
1. Phil Jaques
2. Chris Rogers
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Mike Hussey
5. Michael Clarke (or Katich and North)
6. Shane Watson (or Hopes and White)
7. Brad Haddin (or Paine and Ronchi)
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Mitchell Johnson (or Shaun Tait)
11. Dan Cullen

trescothick101;123866 said:
AUSSIE TEAM FOR 2009 ASHES
1. Phil Jaques
2. Chris Rogers
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Mike Hussey
5. Michael Clarke (or Katich and North)
6. Shane Watson (or Hopes and White)
7. Brad Haddin (or Paine and Ronchi)
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Mitchell Johnson (or Shaun Tait)
11. Dan Cullen

i could not agree with that more
but wheres voges

SouthSwans;124251 said:
Ronchi, Tait and MacGill for Cullen in that XI and Cosgrove 12th man

Macgill won't be around too much longer South. The selecters won't want Tait/Lee in the same side. & it all depends on how the young keepers come on. We have some good young keepers atm!

Infact I change my mind about Ronchi, Paine will def be the keeper in a couple of years IMO. TBH I was a tad pissed typing that previous post lol.

And Youngy, if MacGill isn't instated as the spinner I would be very surprised if he didnt kill himself lol.

Back