Ganguly's thoughts on fitness: bad attitude or misunderstood?

unccricket

Ganguly's thoughts on fitness: bad attitude or misunderstood?

"Fitness is a relative term. I mean to say that it does not necessarily mean that one who runs hard and lifts weights is fit. Cricketing fitness is different. So if you can perform means you are fit,"
http://sify.com/sports/fullstory.php?id=14719579

I kind of agree with what he is saying. Cricket is a physically demanding sport so he obviously must have some level of fitness to be able to have been able to play as well as he has over the past year. At the same time, I can see a sense of contentment and not being willing to go outside of his comfort zone to get more fit and hence perform better.

What do you guys think of this attitude?

Re: Ganguly's thoughts on fitness: bad attitude or misunderstood?

I can see the cat pouncing on the pigeons already...

I have to say, I totally agree with Ganguly's sentiments; fitness is definitely relative :D

What is fitness?

I have seen many guys [always guys] who spend a lot of time in the gym and bulge in all sorts of places, unfortunately, these are not the right places. They have not trained well, in a balanced way, creating weak points and also inhibiting movements. You must have seen them; they cannot straighten their arms, they have huge biceps and no discernable triceps; they have huge quads and weak hamstrings so they are doomed to walk around mimicking silver back gorillas and picking up injuries on any occasion! Quite often, these guys do no cardio exercises at all.

Then you get the guys who spend all their time on the treadmill… fit enough to run marathons but no use to cricket.

Of course, we would be living in the clouds if we believed Ganguly had no fitness regime at all.

Ganguly is a really good cricketer but he has weak qualities… all would be eliminated if he donated more time to functional fitness. As a left handed batsman and right handed bowler, he has great unilateral potential.

Pumping more weights may help him to hit harder and further and more intensive interval training may improve his fielding but he has tremendous talent and what he does may be enough for him; not all aspire to be Greek Gods [I mean performance wise not looks] and some are content with less than maximum potential ;)

The only prereq. to cricket fitness is the capacity to perform?

Okay; maybe i'll support that. So long as 'perform' is not used specifically to describe your capacities in your one preferred skill set, but all of the relevent cricketing skill sets. Not just batting, or bowling - but batting, bowling, fielding (especially in efforts throughout the course of a day).

... And in broadening the definition of 'perform', I think we can safely say that Ganguly ain't particularly fit, even by his 'cricketing fitness' standards.

Although not strictly fitness related, it must be noted that Ganguly's fielding has dramatically improved as of late - he seems to put a lot of effort in the field, pulling out the dives and getting low to pick up the ball.

yeah i saw that too. i guess ganguly isn't that far off with his attitudes towards fitness, and i'm assuming the bottom line is that training at the gym can be a nice supplement for playing, but that it shouldn't be the sole focus.

You need to be fit for the purpose; bowling will obviously help to work those muscles used in bowling, so it's common sense. There is a place for gym work but it needs to be tailored to the specific sport.

IMO...You get bowling fit by bowling; if you are not bowling fit, you are next to useless. But you can increase your strength and so your future bowling performance in the gym.

Back