Geelong Cricket Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat

whatdoumeanwashe;356703 said:
My understanding is that no hard wicket club will gain promotion to div 2, so as stated in earlier posts only St Albans, Corio and any other clubs looking at having turf facilitys will be eligable to be promoted to div 2.

Gee there were a few unhappy div 2 people in the room when the stats position was voted on! whats the go there?

I think it was all about perception. Not enough Div 2 people on management. IMO, it doesn't matter what Div you come from, if you are the best person for the job, you get it, plain and simple. As for no Div 3 clubs going in to Div 2, thats not what we were told at Teesdale. We were lead to believe if we are good enough and have the best assessment, we are entitled to go up. As it was, we only missed going up this year by 3 or 4 points.

spider36;356715 said:
I think it was all about perception. Not enough Div 2 people on management. IMO, it doesn't matter what Div you come from, if you are the best person for the job, you get it, plain and simple.

The 3 candidates had the opportunity to promote themselves and Steph was the only one there. Both other candidates had someone else speak up for them. This may have been the difference. I am not sure how close the vote was. It seemed relatively close.
All other positions there was only the one nomination.

spider36;356715 said:
I think it was all about perception. Not enough Div 2 people on management. IMO, it doesn't matter what Div you come from, if you are the best person for the job, you get it, plain and simple. As for no Div 3 clubs going in to Div 2, thats not what we were told at Teesdale. We were lead to believe if we are good enough and have the best assessment, we are entitled to go up. As it was, we only missed going up this year by 3 or 4 points.

I would like to believe that but how the hell does Guild beat you in the assesment? I dont think having turf is worth that much more. Plus i dont think the GCA would want another situation where a club playing all games away on turf (eg murgie) And i did hear it from two board members.

right arm medium;356722 said:
The 3 candidates had the opportunity to promote themselves and Steph was the only one there. Both other candidates had someone else speak up for them. This may have been the difference. I am not sure how close the vote was. It seemed relatively close.

yes we now have a GCA management member on Big Cricket !! Correct, hit the nail on the head, she should perform the job well regardless. From the association point of view I believe having Daniel Breen on management would possibly given the association more exposure due to Daniel's ties with the Geelong Advertiser, other than that either of the candidates would perform the roll well as with the online system the stat's are nothing like the nightmare they used to be.

spider36;356715 said:
I think it was all about perception. Not enough Div 2 people on management. IMO, it doesn't matter what Div you come from, if you are the best person for the job, you get it, plain and simple.

whatdoumeanwashe;356718 said:
I would like to believe that but how the hell does Guild beat you in the assesment? I dont think having turf is worth that much more. Plus i dont think the GCA would want another situation where a club playing all games away on turf (eg murgie) And i did hear it from two board members.

I agree in a perfect world it would be turf all round. The turf component is worth 10 pts (I think) so that makes a huge difference. There wasn't much more we could have done. 3 competetive sides, good clubrooms etc. Our ground isn't the best but we don't have an irrigation system, so its moving sprinklers around by hand for us.

yes we now have a GCA management member on Big Cricket !! Correct, hit the nail on the head, she should perform the job well regardless. From the association point of view I believe having Daniel Breen on management would possibly given the association more exposure due to Daniel's ties with the Geelong Advertiser, other than that either of the candidates would perform the roll well as with the online system the stat's are nothing like the nightmare they used to be.

spider36;356715 said:
As for no Div 3 clubs going in to Div 2, thats not what we were told at Teesdale. We were lead to believe if we are good enough and have the best assessment, we are entitled to go up. As it was, we only missed going up this year by 3 or 4 points.

There'd be little doubt that Guild's turf wicket was the difference. If you don't have turf, there's 8.5 (I think) points out of 80 you can't earn. Although I recall you've previously said on here that you weren't in a position to accept GCA3 this season if it had been offered?

The 3 candidates had the opportunity to promote themselves and Steph was the only one there. Both other candidates had someone else speak up for them. This may have been the difference. I am not sure how close the vote was. It seemed relatively close. All other positions there was only the one nomination.

About 3 votes in it I believe. Probably some resistance to "another Newtown rep" on Management swayed some voters, although not sufficient for Breeny to get up. Very hard to get rid of this perception in many people that everyone on Management is there to feather their club's nest. If they spent time on Management, those views would soon change. I bet Damian DeGoldi looks at if differently now to a year ago. No doubt RAM will be able to give some insights as the year progresses.

gca_ipl;356723 said:
From the association point of view I believe having Daniel Breen on management would possibly given the association more exposure due to Daniel's ties with the Geelong Advertiser.

Don't think Breeny's in the GA sport area, so arguable whether he'd be able to improve their abysmal coverage of recent seasons, had he been elected last night.

whatdoumeanwashe;356718 said:

I agree in a perfect world it would be turf all round. The turf component is worth 10 pts (I think) so that makes a huge difference. There wasn't much more we could have done. 3 competetive sides, good clubrooms etc. Our ground isn't the best but we don't have an irrigation system, so its moving sprinklers around by hand for us.

Look here;356736 said:
There'd be little doubt that Guild's turf wicket was the difference. If you don't have turf, there's 8.5 (I think) points out of 80 you can't earn. Although I recall you've previously said on here that you weren't in a position to accept GCA3 this season if it had been offered?

I think I said I don't know if we would (may be wrong, really cant be bothered checking!). 8.5 points is a long way to start behind, but thats the system. We will just keep lobbying Golden Plains Shire for improvements to our ground. Yep, just checked, I did say that.

spider36;356715 said:
As for no Div 3 clubs going in to Div 2, thats not what we were told at Teesdale. We were lead to believe if we are good enough and have the best assessment, we are entitled to go up. As it was, we only missed going up this year by 3 or 4 points.

The 3 candidates had the opportunity to promote themselves and Steph was the only one there. Both other candidates had someone else speak up for them. This may have been the difference. I am not sure how close the vote was. It seemed relatively close. All other positions there was only the one nomination.

About 3 votes in it I believe. Probably some resistance to "another Newtown rep" on Management swayed some voters, although not sufficient for Breeny to get up. Very hard to get rid of this perception in many people that everyone on Management is there to feather their club's nest. If they spent time on Management, those views would soon change. I bet Damian DeGoldi looks at if differently now to a year ago. No doubt RAM will be able to give some insights as the year progresses.

gca_ipl;356723 said:
From the association point of view I believe having Daniel Breen on management would possibly given the association more exposure due to Daniel's ties with the Geelong Advertiser.

Don't think Breeny's in the GA sport area, so arguable whether he'd be able to improve their abysmal coverage of recent seasons, had he been elected last night.

I'm pretty sure the 3 year rolling average is only for div1 clubs, we were told by Dewy that we have to win the Div3 assessment to get promted . If a turf club doesn't win the assessment in div3 no one goes up and no one comes down from div2.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works
icon14.gif

Look here;356736 said:

I think I said I don't know if we would (may be wrong, really cant be bothered checking!). 8.5 points is a long way to start behind, but thats the system. We will just keep lobbying Golden Plains Shire for improvements to our ground. Yep, just checked, I did say that.

I'm pretty sure the 3 year rolling average is only for div1 clubs, we were told by Dewy that we have to win the Div3 assessment to get promted . If a turf club doesn't win the assessment in div3 no one goes up and no one comes down from div2.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works
icon14.gif

gca_ipl;356699 said:
that may have been the case with North Shore and Newcomb being the wrong away around as it speed up and slowed down during the lotto number picking !!

In regards to T20 in darkness, start getting the guys to eat their carrots or hope they win the toss !!

Does anyone have the draw to hand after round 1? Or is there anywhere i can get it?

gca_ipl;356699 said:
that may have been the case with North Shore and Newcomb being the wrong away around as it speed up and slowed down during the lotto number picking !!

In regards to T20 in darkness, start getting the guys to eat their carrots or hope they win the toss !!

Does anyone have the draw to hand after round 1? Or is there anywhere i can get it?

concrete cricket;356661 said:
GCA stuffed up yet again by not wanting to set a precedent leting st albans jump the queue into div 2. Although they know st albans will be more than competitive in div 2 they would rather let a derro club like guild go up than a club which actually has plans for bigger things in place already, just to cater to their won overblown egos. Having said that, div 3 is no place for turf clubs, it just makes a mockery of the grade and the tin-pot competition as a whole. Leave div 3 to who it belongs, the good old CONCRETE CRICKETERS. And before you fire up criktluva on how crap div 3 is, just remember that everyone has to play somewhere, even broken down old hacks like yourself with several clubs left in your wake already.

ya wrong mate, i have always said div 3 should be concrete, i agree with you, every one should have somewhere to play. can ya tell me what clubs i left in my wake. i think you will find any club i have played at will agree i made more than your average contribution. Lara 78-92, marshall 93-05 life member, and wallington 06 on. :confused:

Righto, im gonna clear a few things up so everyone knows once and for all.

1. DEWY. I dont hate him, just dont agree with the way GCA have handled many important issues to clubs over the years, and he seems to be the ring leader or face of it most of the time, the others hide, he puts himself out there, but credit to him, he is doing the job and nobody else seems to be wanting to take it off his hands. He also cheated against us in a close game years ago. im sure he is a good bloke if ya know him.

2. GCA is poorly run, major decisions that effect clubs should be voted on by the clubs and the majority rules, the fact that isnt is a joke. Salary cap rorts everywhere yet they ignore, take the rule out or enforce it.

3. Div 1 and 2. Should be for turf clubs only. the best 12 on field performed clubs in div 1, and the next 12 in div 2, should not matter about off field.

4. Div 3. It is crap standard mostly, but like bellerine there are good sides no doubt, but bellerine in my opinion is strong as some div 2.

feel free to comment boys, thats what the forums are for, opinions.

concrete cricket;356661 said:
GCA stuffed up yet again by not wanting to set a precedent leting st albans jump the queue into div 2. Although they know st albans will be more than competitive in div 2 they would rather let a derro club like guild go up than a club which actually has plans for bigger things in place already, just to cater to their won overblown egos. Having said that, div 3 is no place for turf clubs, it just makes a mockery of the grade and the tin-pot competition as a whole. Leave div 3 to who it belongs, the good old CONCRETE CRICKETERS. And before you fire up criktluva on how crap div 3 is, just remember that everyone has to play somewhere, even broken down old hacks like yourself with several clubs left in your wake already.

ya wrong mate, i have always said div 3 should be concrete, i agree with you, every one should have somewhere to play. can ya tell me what clubs i left in my wake. i think you will find any club i have played at will agree i made more than your average contribution. Lara 78-92, marshall 93-05 life member, and wallington 06 on. :confused:

I Bowl Meat Pies;356770 said:
Bell Post Hill Round 1.... South Barwon Round 2...

Pretty Happy with that... 20 club championship points to start off the season :p

and because you play them again at the end of the season, final two games, that should double up to 40 !! another 50 points from your remaining 9 games and you might be taking the club championship off East Belmont !!

Righto, im gonna clear a few things up so everyone knows once and for all.

1. DEWY. I dont hate him, just dont agree with the way GCA have handled many important issues to clubs over the years, and he seems to be the ring leader or face of it most of the time, the others hide, he puts himself out there, but credit to him, he is doing the job and nobody else seems to be wanting to take it off his hands. He also cheated against us in a close game years ago. im sure he is a good bloke if ya know him.

2. GCA is poorly run, major decisions that effect clubs should be voted on by the clubs and the majority rules, the fact that isnt is a joke. Salary cap rorts everywhere yet they ignore, take the rule out or enforce it.

3. Div 1 and 2. Should be for turf clubs only. the best 12 on field performed clubs in div 1, and the next 12 in div 2, should not matter about off field.

4. Div 3. It is crap standard mostly, but like bellerine there are good sides no doubt, but bellerine in my opinion is strong as some div 2.

feel free to comment boys, thats what the forums are for, opinions.

Stephanie presented the best; despite other people talking for the other candidates. She has a great background in IT, has been doing the My Cricket/stat stuff for Newtown and is 1st XI scorer. Best credentialled got the job. Lack of Div 2 or 3 reps is not a concern. There is a Div 2 & 3 delegate last time i checked so shouldn't be any problems.

I Bowl Meat Pies;356770 said:
Bell Post Hill Round 1.... South Barwon Round 2...

Pretty Happy with that... 20 club championship points to start off the season :p

and because you play them again at the end of the season, final two games, that should double up to 40 !! another 50 points from your remaining 9 games and you might be taking the club championship off East Belmont !!

fineleg2fineleg;354779 said:
Apparently yes! Unless big Dewy has changed things around a bit.

Quite impressed with Grant Dew last night to tell you the truth. Presented well, spoke forthrightly, didn't muck around. T20 comp is centred around clubs making money which is a great initiative and he wants to stamp out on-field bad behaviour, which is long overdue. Also gave the umpires a kick up the bum with regards to that issue; so whether you're a fan or not; he looks like he is on the right track.

Stephanie presented the best; despite other people talking for the other candidates. She has a great background in IT, has been doing the My Cricket/stat stuff for Newtown and is 1st XI scorer. Best credentialled got the job. Lack of Div 2 or 3 reps is not a concern. There is a Div 2 & 3 delegate last time i checked so shouldn't be any problems.

gca_ipl;356806 said:

we play the best side on the comp twice. AGAIN. no more bouncers this yr ando, im still recovering from last yrs batch

fineleg2fineleg;354779 said:
Apparently yes! Unless big Dewy has changed things around a bit.

Quite impressed with Grant Dew last night to tell you the truth. Presented well, spoke forthrightly, didn't muck around. T20 comp is centred around clubs making money which is a great initiative and he wants to stamp out on-field bad behaviour, which is long overdue. Also gave the umpires a kick up the bum with regards to that issue; so whether you're a fan or not; he looks like he is on the right track.

Renny24;356810 said:

Dewy's coming for you Ando!! :eek:

gca_ipl;356806 said:

we play the best side on the comp twice. AGAIN. no more bouncers this yr ando, im still recovering from last yrs batch

a for effort;356776 said:
If you can find a copy of last years draw, just change the team numbers with the ones gca ipl posted a page or two back

EDIT: There's one on AT's site:
http://atccvikings.cricketvictoria.com.au/files/Div 2 Draw 2008-09.doc

Bear in mind this one links to last year's GCA2 draw, with Manifold in there. It's not this year's - you'll need to substitute the numbers on gca_ipl's previous post.

Renny24;356810 said:

Dewy's coming for you Ando!! :eek:

Renny24;356810 said:

Have to agree. Straight to the point, no messing around. Hopefully he follows through and cleans up the GCA's image. The only thing that got me was the lack of acknowledgement that bad umpiring has on some of the on field indescretions. I know we have to have umpires, but as long as they are consistent, there shouldn't be too many blow ups. It was all about coming down on players. Looks like the innocent until proven guilty line may not exist. Time will tell...

a for effort;356776 said:
If you can find a copy of last years draw, just change the team numbers with the ones gca ipl posted a page or two back

EDIT: There's one on AT's site:
http://atccvikings.cricketvictoria.com.au/files/Div 2 Draw 2008-09.doc

Bear in mind this one links to last year's GCA2 draw, with Manifold in there. It's not this year's - you'll need to substitute the numbers on gca_ipl's previous post.

The draw has been relatively successful with.
8 teams drawn to play a team that played finals, and a team that did not, in rounds 1 and 2 (therefore playing twice)

2 teams will play 2 teams twice that did not play finals.
- BPH - have North Geelong and Manifold Twice
- East - have Manifold and Leopold Twice
2 teams will play 2 teams twice that played finals last year.
- Newtown play both grand finalists twice in Grovedale and West
- St Joeys have Lara and Grovedale twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back