General Banter

Yeah most of those club members are from Victoria, cricket in Queensland isn't quite as big on a fanatical level, lots of players just not lots of players so interested in the game they'd join a forum. Many Victorians would argue most Queenslanders wouldn't know how to use a computer. There are a couple of areas such as Logan that have the sort of reputation of maybe Liverpool I think has, as far as I can recall from England.

The old north/south divide thing. The liverpool is full of 'Scallies' (Bogans) thing has kind of tailed off a bit, that was a 1980's phenomenon when we had a prime minister called 'Thatcher' possibly the most divisive and ruthless right wing leader we've ever had. Hundreds of thousands of peoples lives were runied by that woman including a lot of people in Liverpool. The county/city was plunged into ruin and unemployment was very high and the image of the poverty struck scally emerged via comedians of the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhFwLjsQug is one example. But there were stories/urban myths, like the one where if you pulled up in Liverpool from out of town in a car in Liverpool you'd be confronted by a gang of kids that would offer to make sure your wheels weren't nicked for a tenner. If you turned them down you'd return to a car with no wheels resting on milk crates or similar.

The old north/south divide thing. The liverpool is full of 'Scallies' (Bogans) thing has kind of tailed off a bit, that was a 1980's phenomenon when we had a prime minister called 'Thatcher' possibly the most divisive and ruthless right wing leader we've ever had. Hundreds of thousands of peoples lives were runied by that woman including a lot of people in Liverpool. The county/city was plunged into ruin and unemployment was very high and the image of the poverty struck scally emerged via comedians of the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhFwLjsQug is one example. But there were stories/urban myths, like the one where if you pulled up in Liverpool from out of town in a car in Liverpool you'd be confronted by a gang of kids that would offer to make sure your wheels weren't nicked for a tenner. If you turned them down you'd return to a car with no wheels resting on milk crates or similar.
I watch almost entirely English TV now, so I know quite a few jokes about Liverpool :D. I switched to watching mostly the Beeb because pretty much Australia can only produce good TV about 1 in 5 times and there's only so much you can take before you turn over to a channel that still produces some good shows. Unfortunately that channel is on the other side of the world and the only way you can get it is over the internet (or bloody expensive pay TV). We have a show called Good News Week for example that took it's structure off Have I Got News For You, pretty much an Australian remake with a few differences, however when you compare the two HIGNFY wins hands down every time. Too bad Australian comic taste has gone the way of the Americans into their stupidity when it comes to comedy routines.

Except for the accent and the place names, that video you shared is pretty much a day in the life of an Australian. Then you get your bogans on top of that hahaha.

Do the Poms want Ben Elton back? Seen a few clips from that show he did recently and it's no wonder it got canned after a couple of weeks, unbelievably bad..

Do the Poms want Ben Elton back? Seen a few clips from that show he did recently and it's no wonder it got canned after a couple of weeks, unbelievably bad..

No thanks, I think he was okay in the 80's but we've got new blokes now. I'm not that into comedy or tele, but my wife hogs the tele and watches shed loads of it and I watch cricket on the internet and blog, write on here. But a couple of weeks ago she dragged me and few friends along to watch a bloke from round our way at a theatre that she'd seen on the box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W45t3kTXHM I've never laughed so much in my life - I sat there crying most of the show!

No thanks, I think he was okay in the 80's but we've got new blokes now. I'm not that into comedy or tele, but my wife hogs the tele and watches shed loads of it and I watch cricket on the internet and blog, write on here. But a couple of weeks ago she dragged me and few friends along to watch a bloke from round our way at a theatre that she'd seen on the box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W45t3kTXHM I've never laughed so much in my life - I sat there crying most of the show!
I would love to have access to some quality comedy. The closest place here is Brisbane (5 hour round trip) and if you've heard Australian comedy lately you'll know how terrible it is normally let alone at a more amateur level. There aren't any theatres set up like the Apollo and they don't have comedy roadshows going around - just the occasional gig if you can get a ticket on time (they never advertise them in traditional ways). I've seen a few big comedians but you Brits are spoilt for choice, you could almost make a holiday out of going to see a couple.

Micky is great... so is McIntyre... but it will have to be the Mad Welshman for me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U

I think there's a few clues to your family background here Liz Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd and now preference for Rhod Gilbert. I went into the Micky Flannagan show not expecting to laugh that much but his observations of 'East London Disapora' which is a term I coined for them back in the 1990's and have never heard anyone else use, were genius, I have this thing where my family roots can be traced back to the 15th century and it's Essex all the way, I don't say Sumfink and Nuffink and I don't have any affinity with West Ham FC or 'The only way is Essex' which should be re-named 'The only way is East End'. Micky Flannagan just rips the p*** out of the people that have made a few quid in the building trade/stock market and moved out of the East End into Essex to be a bit posh. It was pure genius, it was as though he'd been down my street watching my neighbours and the people I come across in my daily life, the East End nouveau riche diaspora it was hilarious. The reason it was so funny was the fact that I could relate to all of it and the material covered all my own observations about what i feel is ostentatious, guady, common and the fact that these people are changing the perception of what Essex is about and its people. We don't say sumfink, if we're true Essex we'd say summat or if we're posh Essex we'd pronounce it something as it should be. No doubt you can probably relate to Rhod Gilbert if your own background is Welsh? Saying that I don't know what his material is like and whether he makes similar observations about his own people in the same way as Flannagan?

A day later, just seen Russel Kane at my wifes suggestion on the tele, as he's one of the East End Disapora as well and he takes the P**s out of the East London/Essex thing as well. Check him out on youtube.

Haha, he was shithouse. Surprised he lasted more than one week let alone three!

Back