Getting Out LBW

Re: Getting Out LBW

Need to give us more to work with mate, what type of ball, straight? Quick? Swinging? Seaming?

Sumo Boy;377566 said:
I keep getting out LBW.
I struggle when it is on middle and leg.
Any tips of what i should do???

if you struggle when the ball is coming into your leg stump.
i would move your guard so your toes are on leg stump.
you will get less balls on your pads, and if you do, the ball most of the time wont be going on to the stumps. hope that helps

breeno;377567 said:
Need to give us more to work with mate, what type of ball, straight? Quick? Swinging? Seaming?

It is the straight quick ball that gets me in trouble.
I try and hit it through mid wicket/ square leg and miss.

Sumo Boy;377609 said:

So are you playing a pull shot or a flick off the pads?

If it's the flick off the pads, you're most likely playing around your front pad. If the ball is zeroing in on middle stump you can try on driving it. Where does your backlift point to aswell? A straight backlift (pointing to keeper/first slip) helps in playing balls on the pads.

breeno;377612 said:
So are you playing a pull shot or a flick off the pads?

If it's the flick off the pads, you're most likely playing around your front pad. If the ball is zeroing in on middle stump you can try on driving it. Where does your backlift point to aswell? A straight backlift (pointing to keeper/first slip) helps in playing balls on the pads.

It's a Flick of the pads.
My back lift does point to about 1st slip.

Sumo Boy;377616 said:
It's a Flick of the pads.
My back lift does point to about 1st slip.

Well I'm guessing it's either your timing of the shot, or simply playing the wrong shot to the wrong ball.

i dont agree to batting on leg stump, this will cause more problems then it will fix. such as when your leaving the ball it will be hard to know where your off stump is.

The flick off the legs is always a dangerous shot, especially early. It's probably better to play balls of your legs with a straight bat until you're confident you won't miss a flick.

If it's a shot that you score a lot of runs with, it's all about being careful to pick the right ball and concentrate on playing the shot even though it's one you play regularly.

On a side not, I wish the flick off the legs shot actually had a proper name, like a 'mid-wicket drive' or something.

Yes, one of my favourite shots is the leg glance there is always runs of the shot:) A tip: when your playing the leg glance keep your head still and over the ball get your front foot forward and towards the ball, and turn the bat on impact with the ball.

Sounds like you are overbalancing.

Does your head point straight over your front shoulder or do you feel like you are leaning on your bat keeping you upright?

With the incorrect position , you read the ball wrong and play all around the ball.

If you are going out LBW to balls that you feel you can flick, perhaps change this around to hitting straight down the ground. Play in the "v" instead of trying to emulate a player like Mark Waugh with his incredible eye for flicking off the pads.

Go back to basics :)

D.K;377749 said:
Sounds like you are overbalancing.

Does your head point straight over your front shoulder or do you feel like you are leaning on your bat keeping you upright?

With the incorrect position , you read the ball wrong and play all around the ball.

If you are going out LBW to balls that you feel you can flick, perhaps change this around to hitting straight down the ground. Play in the "v" instead of trying to emulate a player like Mark Waugh with his incredible eye for flicking off the pads.

Go back to basics :)

Sort of 50/50 i will try and get my head right over my shoulder and see what happens.

Mate its probley a balance issue, trying forcing the weight on to you're toes, get a coach or someone whos knows somthing about batting.
Good luck

Sumo Boy;377609 said:

If you are trying to hit square, I strongly reccommend you abandon this shot - its an incorrect shot in my opinion that has been popularised by international sub-continent players. The more "correct" shot is either putting your leg inside the line of the ball and hitting straight down the ground, or go outside the line, wait for the ball to arrive, and glance to fine leg. The point being you need to play as straight as possible. This will almost certainly eliminate the LBW problem.

yes i agree i try not to hit square but when the ball is there to hit and there is minimal risk i go for it, as for your LBW problem try putting your front foot out towards the ball as far out as possible, this way it is hard for the umpire to judge what the ball would be doing after it passes the bat. Ricky Ponting does this to perfection which is why you hardly ever see him out LBW. It works for me so give it a try.

Sumo Boy;377566 said:
I keep getting out LBW.
I struggle when it is on middle and leg.
Any tips of what i should do???
try batting about a shoe width out of your crease and get a decent stride in so a decent umpire cant give you out LBW

If you are a tall bloke, take guard on leg/two-leg. If you are tall and taking guard on middle then that might be a problem as you're head then hangs over on off-stump or close to it, which might befuddle your judging of the line. Generally speaking you want your head on middle-stump.

What you should do is try to play more straight. Start by just defending those balls to mid-on. Then start on-driving. All the while using a straight bat. Then start to angle the ball all the more squarer. First defending, then driving. This way you'll get eased into being comfortable with playing through mid-wicket/behind.

The most important thing is to keep still. I had a problem where I sub-consciously moved a bit across whenever I had a pace bowler bowling into my legs. If this is the case then try some throwdowns on your pads but try to keep still as much as possible.

Try to keep in line with the ball. If this is the problem get someone to do throwdowns on the leg stump whilst you take guard on off. When he throws the ball get into a position where you can just defend the ball straight back to him.

There really could be a lot of causes for this problem.

Back